01304 827609 info@use-ip.co.uk Find us

Partition access error with Hikvision NVR iDS-7608NXI-I2_8P_X(C) and 18TB HDDs?

MI19

Hello everyone.

I have a problem with my DeepinMind NVR "Hikvision NVR iDS-7608NXI-I2_8P_X(C)".
The recorder is configured for continuous recording. Also Intrusion detection and Line Crossing is activated.
After a certain time, however, the recording stops and a HDD error "Partition Access error" occurs.
There are 2 WD Purple 18TB disks installed.
The latest firmware "4.61.025_220826" is installed on the NVR.
After that, the hard drive where the error occurred is no longer usable. It has to be formatted again.
After a init of the hard disks the system works again. But the error comes back after a certain time.
I have also tried two other hard drives (also 18TB) without success.
All hard drives are new and error-free. i could not
Could this be a firmware problem? Anybody else with same problems?

Here are two screenshots.
Seems like the recorder could only write 730 GB to the 18TB drive and then runs into this partition error.
After the error occurred recording stops. The recording could not startet again. Repairing the database did't fix the problem.
Only formatting the HDD's fix it.

Attachments

• 20221211_193453.jpg
    20221211_193453.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 129
  • 20221211_193522.jpg
    20221211_193522.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 133
Yes, but have a look here. In this arcticle also the 18TB WD Purple is mentioned.
Is anybody here who did successfully tested such big drives?
At the moment i'm testing with two 6TB drives.

Last edited:
I was going to suggest trying a smaller drive. On one of the 18tb drives you could try using win10 diskpart to clean a drive and create a 10tb partition and then format in the NVR. this may not work as the NVR format process could clean, initialise, format a new drive.

I've got a 12 and an 8 in an I-series NVR. Never had a problem with the 12 at all. It will write until full then start overwriting.

However, it seems that the NVR has problems with 18TB disks.
However, the strange thing is that a "Bad Sector detection" test of the NVR passed the entire 18TB HDD without any errors.
But in productive operation (continuous recording activated) I get this "HDD partition error" after 3-4 days recording. This happens every time after NVR has written around 730GB. The HDD 1 is not usable until a fresh initialization.

However, it seems that the NVR has problems with 18TB disks.
However, the strange thing is that a "Bad Sector detection" test of the NVR passed the entire 18TB HDD without any errors.
But in productive operation (continuous recording activated) I get this "HDD partition error" after 3-4 days recording. This happens every time after NVR has written around 730GB. The HDD 1 is not usable until a fresh initialization.
Maybe a firmware bug in the disk controller?

I dont think so. I tested it with two different HDD types.
First Test: 2 Toshiba MG09ACA18TE (18TB)
Second Test: 2 WD Purple Pro WD181PURP
Result: In both tests partition access error after 3-4 days
It seems the NVR firmware is not "18TB ready"
Currently, 2 WD Red 6TB hard drives are installed in the NVR. Up until now everything is running without errors.

Hi MI19

I think you're right in saying that the 18TB drives are not fully compatible with these NVRs.

Normally, you can use a larger drive than stated as being compatible on the NVR datasheet without any problems, but we've not tested 18TB.

I asked Hikvision support about the error, and they replied confirming that it's due to the size of the HDD, here's the full response:

"It is correct, the issue occurs as the size of the drive.
Currently, the NVR does not support an 18TB hard drive, the capacity of the drive is beyond the limit.
It is recommended to replace a suitable drive to solve this problem."

Thank you very much for this information.
I replaced the drives with 2 WD Red 6TB drives. No Problems so far.
Hopefully there will be a firmware update soon that will also support the larger hard drives.

No problem, I'm glad you're having more luck with the 6TB WD Reds - yes, fingers crossed!

There is a new firmware available for download.
-> Firmware__V4.62.200_230105_S3000475500.zip from 2023-01-05

Unfortunately there are no release notes in the download. So what did they improve?
Does anyone have any further information on what has changed?
Is there perhaps support for the large WD Purple hard drives in this firmware?

I'll ask Hikvision for some more information on the new firmware and come back with an update.

Normally, the release notes are uploaded a while after the firmware is released - I can't see any on the download portals either.

But, I'm afraid that it is unlikely that it has fixed the compatibility issues with the larger hard drives...

Hikvision support has let me know that the release notes should be released in a few weeks' time and are still being written.

I wish I had read this article before buying 18TB purple Pro disk :(. The same issue with my DS-7608NI-I2_8P , after 1 day and ~800GB , I get a partition access error and recording lost after the day. Reformat of hdd only helped for 1day.
Hmmm... will see if I can attach it as a NAS drive somehow.

Back