01304 827609 info@use-ip.co.uk Find us

Plug and Play Replacement - DS-7608NI-K2

hialert

Hi All,

I have recently moved into a property with a HIKvision camera system that was pre-installed by the former owner. The DVR is the DS-7608NI-K2 with 8 cameras attached to the system which worked well.

However the, DVR has currently developed a fault whereby it does not power on (and from my testing I believe the PSU is at fault). Would it be possible to simply order a replacement DVR unit (same model) and install it as a plug and play. Or would I need to replace the entire security camera system (DVR and camera's) as the DVR is somehow linked to the cameras by MAC address / licenses.

As unsure if I need to contact the previous home owner (as i would need to contact my solicitor who completed the property exchange). hoping it's a task that I can complete.

I do apologies in advance if this question has been asked before too and please let me know if you require more information to assist.

Regards,

Hi-Alert

Hi @hialert

Provided that you know which password has been set on each camera, it should be relatively simple to add them to a new NVR - they aren't bound to one recorder via their MAC addresses or a licence.

The passwords will likely be the same as the existing NVR's, but it depends on how the previous owner activated each camera. If you do know the camera passwords (and these are all the same), then you can:
  1. Purchase the new NVR, setting it up with the same password as the cameras.
  2. Connect each camera to the same PoE ports on the new NVR, with Plug & Play selected as the adding method.
  3. The cameras then should automatically add to the new NVR
If you know the old NVR's password, then you should check that this is also what has been set on the cameras. You will need to find a PoE switch or injector, and then:
  1. Connect each camera to the switch / injector, which should be connected to your network / router, so that they are powered and online.
  2. Use the SADP tool to discover each camera.
  3. Try to change the IP address for each camera (keep a note of the existing addresses), then enter the password in SADP and check if it will accept it and save the changes.
  4. If it says "parameters modifications completed", then the password is correct for that camera.
  5. Change the IP address back to what it was before, and continue with the new NVR using the first 3 steps above.
If you don't know the passwords but the cameras have a reset pushbutton beside their SD card slots, then you could still add them to a new NVR by resetting them:
  1. Purchase a new NVR with PoE ports, set it up with any password you like.
  2. Connect each camera to the new recorder's PoE ports.
  3. Factory reset them using the pushbutton.
  4. When reset and connected to the new NVR, this will reactivate them and add them as Plug & Play cameras automatically.

Hi Kyle,

Thanks for the feedback and that's really positive to know that we can simply order a replacement DVR (replacement) without the need to contact the previous owners is much appreciated.

Will look to order a new DVR, would you have any recommendations on ordering a new DVR, that offers warranty as most places I've seen is only available to the trade.

Thanks again.

That's brilliant and thanks for the link. From reviewing the Hikvision DS-7608NI-K2-8P link, it does appears to not include a hard drive as I presumed one was included is this correct (sorry for the silly question).

If a hard drive is required to be purchased separately, could I upgrade the system to use solid state drive or do you have any Hard drives of recommendations (brand / capacity) with speed and longevity in mind via the web shop.

Thanks in advance.

The old NVR will probably have a hard drive in it, so you could just take this out and use it in the new recorder - this guide explains how:
How-to: Part 1: How do I install a Hard Drive in a Hikvision NVR?

You can also just install a solid-state drive as well using the same method, the drawback here is that they cost a lot more per TB.

Sorry, the link is broken on our product page for the 7608NI-K2, but we recommend the WD Purple SATA drives - you can use up to 14TB in each bay.

This guide should help with working out which size you will need based on your cameras and length of retention needed:
How-to: How do I use Western Digital’s Storage Calculator to identify how much storage space I’ll need for my CCTV system?

Hi Kyle,

Many thanks for the reply and it's much appreciated.

You've given me some food for thought as I initially considered going for an SSD HD but like you said its the costs of a TB in comparison to a traditional HD makes sense.

We will look towards a WD purple SATA drive as per your recommendations, as our contingency plan in case the existing HD has failed / corrupted.

Please could you further assist with our last query, hypothetically if the existing HD fails, would the replacement DVR & new (WD purple) HD still work as a plug and play installation with our existing HIKVIS cameras at said property? Assuming we've located the passwords for the cameras (apologies for the 101 questions).

Thanks.

hypothetically if the existing HD fails, would the replacement DVR & new (WD purple) HD still work as a plug and play installation with our existing HIKVIS cameras at said property? Assuming we've located the passwords for the cameras (apologies for the 101 questions).
Yes, the new hard drive won't make a difference in that respect :)

The easiest thing to do will be to test the old hard drive in the new NVR, and see if it recognises / allows you to format the new drive in the Storage Management menu. If it has failed, you can just swap in the new drive, format it, and then connect all of your cameras.

Many thanks for the re-assurance and advise in ordering a replacement NVR and HD is much appreciated. Will come back to this thread once I've got the new system up and running. As it sounds like a task that I can complete. Thanks Kyle :)

Back