01304 827609 info@use-ip.co.uk Find us

PoE Port Short Circuited

BigAl

I have a DS-7608NI-I2 / 8P with PoE on all ports if required.

I also have three PTZ's connected to it, whilst two of the PTZ's work OK, I did have a problem with the DS-2DF8236I-AELW which is a Dark Fighter (or so I believe).

The problem with the camera was that during daylight hours it was OK, but as darkness fell and the infra reds switched on, probably with tracking as well, it would just stop working and reboot, then would carry on in darkness until the next requirement of the infra reds etc.

I am pretty sure that I discussed it with Hikvision and was told to install a 60w injector which I did, all seemed to be OK since, like 6 months or so.

But today, sorting out other things out I noticed that Port 1, the port with the injector on was showing 'Port Short Circuited' under the PoE Power Configuration menu.

So firstly I switched the PoE off from within the NVR thinking that the power was coming out of the NVR, hitting the injector so hence the 'short', but that didn't work because the camera then failed to be displayed.

So the second idea was to unplug a different working PTZ from the NVR and plug that into the injector, but the same fault appeared, 'Port Short Circuited'

So the only way I seem to be able to use the DS-2DF8236I-AELW is with the injector and showing a 'Port Short Circuited' fault, but I can't imagine that to be right.

Anybody know how to solve this?

Thank you.

Hi @BigAl

We've never seen this short circuit error message before, I can only think that the NVR PoE ports don't like having the Hi-PoE 60W injectors connected.

Have you tried testing the camera without the injector just to see whether the error message is still present when the NVR is attempting to power the camera?

If the error message does stay it may suggest that the port is actually damaged.

Whether or not it does disappear our recommendation would be to plug that 60W injector into a standard switch or port elsewhere on your local network rather than directly into the NVRs PoE port.

I had this a few months ago on a DS7616NI-I2/16P and I believe it's a bug. I was replacing a 16 channel K series for the I series, on a job where one of the camera ports goes to the uplink port of a Hikvision PoE switch, to connect several cameras that are in a remote location. Previously on the K series it would have shown "not connected" for the PoE status. On swapping the NVR it became "short circuit". The system is fine and there is no issue.

One further annoyance is that it used to be possible to turn off just the PoE for any channel that didn't need it - those connected to PoE injectors, switches as above or cameras with external power. Once switched off, the IP channel was still available for editing manually in the Camera setup menu. The way it works has changed. Now if you switch off PoE on a port, the IP channel disappears from the list in the Camera menu. If the camera had already been added and edited there, you lose the image.

Reactions: Dan
I had this a few months ago on a DS7616NI-I2/16P and I believe it's a bug. I was replacing a 16 channel K series for the I series, on a job where one of the camera ports goes to the uplink port of a Hikvision PoE switch, to connect several cameras that are in a remote location. Previously on the K series it would have shown "not connected" for the PoE status. On swapping the NVR it became "short circuit". The system is fine and there is no issue.

One further annoyance is that it used to be possible to turn off just the PoE for any channel that didn't need it - those connected to PoE injectors, switches as above or cameras with external power. Once switched off, the IP channel was still available for editing manually in the Camera setup menu. The way it works has changed. Now if you switch off PoE on a port, the IP channel disappears from the list in the Camera menu. If the camera had already been added and edited there, you lose the image.
Thank you, that is exactly as it is.

Back to Dan, I did try the camera without the injector, and it worked, but it was in daylight.
I know that come the dark evening and without the injector it will just keep re-booting.

I went to Hikvision's Roadshow a couple of weeks ago, and talking about something else, a Hikvision employee did say that they recommend 60w injectors with some camera's.

It wasn't related to anything I said, it was about something else, but I did think at the time, that relates to me.

Thank you, that is exactly as it is.

Back to Dan, I did try the camera without the injector, and it worked, but it was in daylight.
I know that come the dark evening and without the injector it will just keep re-booting.

I went to Hikvision's Roadshow a couple of weeks ago, and talking about something else, a Hikvision employee did say that they recommend 60w injectors with some camera's.

It wasn't related to anything I said, it was about something else, but I did think at the time, that relates to me.
In my case I simply rechecked the PoE box and accepted the incorrect message - there's no harm. I didn't try, but if it bothers you try the following:

1. Check and note the current Plug and Play assigned IP address of the camera.
  2. In PoE Bonding Configuration menu, deselect the channel, you'll lose the camera
  3. Re add the camera manually using the IP address you noted in step 1.
That should work. If it doesn't like that original IP address being reused, just connect to the camera manually and fix a different IP address that can't clash with any of the Plug and Play addresses. I usually just add 100 to the camera number - IE if it's Cam 3 set it to 192.168.254.103.

Reactions: Dan
Back