01304 827609 info@use-ip.co.uk Find us

Positioning of cameras

Naz

Hi everyone. I was wondering if I could get some help on the positioning of 2 cameras at the front of the house please?

I have:
  • Hikvision DS-2CD2346G2-IU 4MP AcuSense Fixed IR Turret Network Camera With Built-In Microphone 2.8mm
  • Hikvision DS-2CD2545FWD-IS 4MP IR Fixed Mini Dome Network Camera 2.8mm
I normally have 2 cars on the drive so ideally I wanted the cameras to be able to pick up any activity of people on the sides of the cars. I would also like to have the turret able to pick up numberplates of cars on the road.

Currently I was planning on putting the mini dome low and near the door, to get clear view of faces, and the turret further up and to the left to get a full scope of the area. With the turret, I’m not sure how high is ideal and whether or not it should be in the centre instead.

Hi @Naz

Your current positions look almost okay.

We would probably bring the Mini Dome down slightly so it is pretty much at head height because in the currently marked position some of the FoV might be blocked by the door canopy.

For the turret camera, we do usually recommend a left or right position rather than a centre because the cameras have a triangular FoV. With the left/right positions you can have one edge of the FoV down the edge of the drive and the other edge covering the front of the house, if you went for the centre position you would have areas left and right of the camera that are not covered. The ideal mounting height is around 4m (1st-floor height) because any higher and over the short distances you want to cover you will just be seeing the tops of people's heads.

Reactions: Naz
That makes sense, thanks a lot for the quick reply!

Reactions: Dan
Back