01304 827609 info@use-ip.co.uk Find us

Basic and smart events - surveillance centre hierarchy?

Meatant

Wanting to setup my Hikvision cameras in following way.
1. Smart events send notification to my Hik-Connect app and also make siren/lights when set in alarm state via HikConnect app.
2. Show basic events in timeline but don't send notifications or set off alarm when in alarm state. Want record of movement of cars and people going past my home.

I have 8MP cams - a ColorVu Gen 2, a Accusense Gen2 and a Smart Hybrid on a DS-7608NI-I2-8P NVR. Only 1 on continuous record and the others on events only.

Currently have basic events setup just to record but nothing else. Smart events work as planned.

My thinking is if I set the basic events to notify surveillance centre at the camera level, this will simply alert the NVR and make the playback marker. But leaving the basic event on NVR level to record only and this will avoid camera making false alarms in alarm state.

I just want a marker in playback that shows when cars or people going past my home. We have had criminals in stolen cars drive past slowly and I have used this footage to report to police (they used my footage to catch them).

Am I thinking correctly or will I just get false alarm all night as car drives past on street as I have ticked notify surveillance centre at the camera level?

Thanks for your assistance.

My thinking is if I set the basic events to notify surveillance centre at the camera level, this will simply alert the NVR and make the playback marker. But leaving the basic event on NVR level to record only and this will avoid camera making false alarms in alarm state.
I think you're overcomplicating it. If your cameras are connected to the PoE ports of the NVR, they are isolated from the internet by the NVR. Just carry out all programming using the NVR, as the detection areas etc are saved by the NVR onto the camera. "Notify surveillance center' is enabled for the specific event(s) on the NVR, as that is the device connected to the internet and your Hik-Connect account.

Basic Event (Motion Detection) - Linkage Action is Trigger channel
Smart Event (Line Crossing or Intrusion) - Linkage Action is Trigger channel and Notify Surveillance Center, Siren, lights etc

What you describe is how I normally setup all of my systems; motion detection covering the wider area so that 'Human' can be found retrospectively with ease using timeline markers and line crossing additionally triggering an alert (that is only possible if a person is on the property)

Upvote 0
Vivotek AI Network Video Recorders
I think you're overcomplicating it. If your cameras are connected to the PoE ports of the NVR, they are isolated from the internet by the NVR. Just carry out all programming using the NVR, as the detection areas etc are saved by the NVR onto the camera. "Notify surveillance center' is enabled for the specific event(s) on the NVR, as that is the device connected to the internet and your Hik-Connect account.

Smart Event (Line Crossing or Intrusion) - Linkage Action is Trigger channel and Notify Surveillance Center, Siren, lights etc

What you describe is how I normally setup all of my systems; motion detection covering the wider area so that 'Human' can be found retrospectively with ease using timeline markers and line crossing additionally triggering an alert (that is only possible if a person is on the property)

Thanks for the feedback. Makes my understanding much clearer regarding hierarchy. I have setup as you have stated but I don't get any motion detection markers or recordings, only events. How do you get both events and motion recorded in playback (at least in the NVR)?

Upvote 0
I have setup as you have stated but I don't get any motion detection markers or recordings, only events. How do you get both events and motion recorded in playback (at least in the NVR)?
I’m not quite sure what you mean here. If you configure motion detection, then regardless of whether you choose ’notify surveillance centre’ it’s classified as an event. All of the detections will show on the timeline of the I series NVR when you select Smart Playback.

The I series firmware unfortunately might restrict filtering of those events. It’s so long since I swapped mine out I can’t remember what’s available. As the I is limited to version 4.61.030 you can’t filter the Human, Vehicle events individually in Hik Connect app playback (I don’t recall whether you can in local playback as you can on the M series)

Upvote 0
I’m not quite sure what you mean here. If you configure motion detection, then regardless of whether you choose ’notify surveillance centre’ it’s classified as an event. All of the detections will show on the timeline of the I series NVR when you select Smart Playback.

The I series firmware unfortunately might restrict filtering of those events. It’s so long since I swapped mine out I can’t remember what’s available. As the I is limited to version 4.61.030 you can’t filter the Human, Vehicle events individually in Hik Connect app playback (I don’t recall whether you can in local playback as you can on the M series)
I don't get any basic/normal motion detection recordings from cameras outside the smart events zones (this is viewing from the NVR itself). I now the camera sense motion as I have the LED light come on when motion detected. Only recorded events are the smart events. I have checked and re-checked all the settings in NVR and the cameras the themselves. The only way i can see basic/normal motion detction is tick Notify surveillance centre. But this is not an option as I will get alarms when i set the cameras to alarm at night.

Upvote 0
I don't get any basic/normal motion detection recordings from cameras outside the smart events zones (this is viewing from the NVR itself)
If you set up motion detection to cover an area, you'll get motion events and markers only created when there's motion inside that area. It doesn't matter whether notify surveillance center is selected or not. The only thing you'll need to check is that Dual VCA is enabled for each camera and if you can find a setting for 'save camera VCA data' in the local NVR menu make sure that's ticked (I can't remember if it's on the I series but it'll be in Storage > Advanced if it is)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This is what I do:
Draw all camera view as a Region, Enable Motion Detection, Enable Dynamic Analysis, set your sensinsitivity 40 or 60, select Human and Vehicle if those are the only ones you want, uncheck Notify Surveillance Center from both settings(Camera and NVR). Also check Upload to SD card on camera GUI settings.
Motion detection works in a different way than Smart events. If you want motion events as VCA events recorded with markers on your NVR timeline, the whole camera view must be set as a Region. This is not necessary for Smart Events since they just need to be enabled and automatically cover all camera view. Smart Event VCA sensitivity cannot be adjusted and records all events till possibly maximum distance (D) detect spec of your camera, but Motion Events sensitivity must be adjusted so that to give more all less events. I don't know sensitivity relation with Distance.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
If you set up motion detection to cover an area, you'll get motion events and markers only created when there's motion inside that area. It doesn't matter whether notify surveillance center is selected or not. The only thing you'll need to check is that Dual VCA is enabled for each camera and if you can find a setting for 'save camera VCA data' in the local NVR menu make sure that's ticked (I can't remember if it's on the I series but it'll be in Storage > Advanced if it is)
Thanks and really appreciate your assistance.
Checked those and they were set as you have suggested, but no basic motion recorded or markers. Just smart events.

Upvote 0
Thanks and really appreciate your assistance.
Checked those and they were set as you have suggested, but no basic motion recorded or markers. Just smart events.
I can't remember exactly how things are displayed on the I series as it's been over a year since I switched mine out. I think that's just how it works. With motion detection enabled on a camera with human filter selected and the alarm action set to trigger channel:
  • Normal playback will show a solid blue timeline
  • Smart playback will probably show a timeline that's nearly all red if dual VCA is enabled as it's showing what the dual VCA sends back. However clicking the Human icon will filter out to just the human motion within the area that you configured. Selecting vehicle will have no effect unless you also selected vehicle when configuring the motion detection.
What you will not get is any markers for filtered human or vehicle outside of the area that you defined in motion detection.

Upvote 0
Back