01304 827609 info@use-ip.co.uk Find us

Radar or Thermal Cameras?

gasparri

Hi guys,
I need a better perimeter protection around a building for approximately 1700 square metres.
I was looking at DS-PR1-60 microwave radar but I don't have experience with this type of things. I have seen that I can link the radar with my PTZ cameras but how much can they be far from the radar? Also, will the radar reach zone covered by the building?
I am interested in no false alarms at all.
The other option is DS-2TD1228-3/QA around the building with VCA enabled, anyone have tried this?
Thanks and sorry for my unusual questions.

Hi @gasparri

We have limited experience with both radar and thermal cameras, but based on the Hikvision info the DS-PR1-60 radar has a detection field of view of 100° and a detection range of up to 60m.

If the site is very remote and dark then thermal cameras can be a good option because the body heat of people that shouldn't be at the site can be used to trigger the camera, but if you search YouTube for some of the Hikvision thermal models you will see that the thermal sensor only picks up heat so you will only end up with a rough outline of anything the camera detects.

Hi Dan, thanks for your reply.
I have already two thermal cameras and I am happy even if you must calibrate and set well the camera if you want the best from it.
With the bispectrum thermal you can get the image from the optical lens but the VCA is triggered by thermal lens.
I was more interested in this radar thing but seems that no one have more information about it. I think I will go with this new model of thermal camera QA version which is an update of the /PA version and seems that can reach with VCA up to 20m.
Thanks for your help anyway.

Thermal cameras have long been used by agencies charged with securing highly protected sites e.g. nuclear power plants.
It is very difficult for a human to approach and not be detected by a thermal camera.
This is true under all conditions e.g. night, day, rain, fog, snow, etc.
But, please bear in mind that a thermal camera will provide no useful video evidence - it is purely a method of detection.
Typically, the sites that use them will have security response staff who will react to detections, and deal with intruders ...

Reactions: Dan
Back