01304 827609 info@use-ip.co.uk Find us

Replace NVR with Synology Surveillance Station

th81

Hi all,

I have bought a fairly new built house that came with 8 Hikvision cameras in the outer areas and also with Hikvision NVR.
The model is: https://www.hikvision.com/en/products/I ... 2345FWD-I/

I suppose they are good cameras but I find it wrong running the NVR as I also have a Synology NAS running.
What do you think about kicking out the Hikvision NVR and hooking all the cameras on the Synology Surveillance Station?
Is that a dumb idea because the Hikvision NVR and its iOS App etc is the NICER solution?

I will anyway tuck away the Hikvision gear in a separate VLAN so it doesn't phone home so much ;)

What do you think?

/T

P.S.: Unfortunately we are only moving in 2 weeks, so I can not try out much. The other problem is, that I don't have the access to the NVR as the pre-owner thinks he doesn't remember it. So in case he can not recover it. I am forced to factory reset the cameras anyway, then I can as well just install the Synology.

Try the Synology and see what you think.
Every Synology box ships with two free camera licences for you to use their Surveillance Station solution.
For additional cameras you will need to purchase additional licences:

Incidentally, one of the big pluses with Synology is that they offer what I call 'Evergreen Technology' - they will refresh the Operating System and improve the features every year (even for relatively old hardware boxes).

They have (just) announced their 2022 improvements:

Yeah that's what I also like. Synology is really good keeping older hardware updated.
I will get the handover of the system in 2 weeks and will try the Hikvision app and NVR but I think I want to move over to Synology to have NAS and cameras in one system with RAID drives.

Back