01304 827609 info@use-ip.co.uk Find us

Hik-Connect Setting up remote access to my Hik DVR-204Q-K1?

MalcolmSu

Despite all the wonderful guides available here and the plethora of support articles and videos provided by Hikvision, I've been struggling to get remote access to my new DVR and cameras. It's a DVR-204Q-K1. I initially tried using iVMS-4500 with port forwarding rules on my router. All the rules bar one worked. I could never get the port 443 rule to work - it always gave me "connection refused". iVMS-4500 worked fine internally but I could never get it to work external to my network.

I then read that Hik-Connect didn't need port forwarding (?) so I tried that. Whilst again that worked internally I couldn't get it to connect externally. In setting that up, the instructions advised setting the Platform Access Mode on the DVR to Hik-Connect. That option wasn't available to me. The only option on the drop-down menu was Guarding Vision. I believe though that this has been set up correctly? See screenshot -it's showing online.

1592238121240.png

Googling Guarding Vision I found there's a GV app. So I tried that. Again I have been able to connect locally but not externally. I'm now stuck. What else can I try?

The route to the DVR is as follows: Internet -> Virgin Media SuperHub 2 in modem mode -> Ubiquiti HD WiFi Router -> Hikvision DVR.

I don't see how the Hik Connect app is going to work without using HikConnect as the platform access mode and the proper HikConnect server address. No idea what Guardian Vision is. What does your NVR's documentation say about the ability to use HikConnect?

I can't recall now where I saw it but there was a link somewhere that you could put in your DVR model number to check if it was Hik-Connect compatible - mines was. Also SADP shows...

1592241066769.png
1592241139533.png

If I ignore the Guarding Vision PAM and put the Hik-Connect server name in it never shows as online.

Attachments

• 1592241096796.png
    1592241096796.png
    2.7 KB · Views: 191
So, I understood that once I'd established my DVR's IP address using DHCP, if I then made that address static I could remove the tick from the TCP/IP DHCP box. Turns out not. Adding that back in enabled remote access via Guarding Vision. Sorted.

1592256956090.png

Frustratingly this has stopped working again. I'd been using the Android app internal to the network to view cameras but then had to go off-site yesterday and when I had to check a camera on my mobile it wouldn't connect. I get the "Failed to start playing" message against each camera. I'm pretty certain that nothing in my config had changed but I've been back through all the suggestions here with no success. I can see the device as online on SADP and via hik-connect.com.

Anything else I can try? I was using the Guarding Vision app but I've tried both Hik-Connect and HiLook all d/l'd from the Hikvision site this afternoon and they all connect internally but give the same result on my mobile phone on 4G.

I still think it's a hikconnect.com account problem, particularly if you're not getting anything while off the LAN. Try using one of the hikconnect server addresses.

As per original post a Hik-connect option isn't available to me in the Platform Access Mode drop down. However if I put a Hik-connect server address in anyway and click custom it never shows as online ( whereas the GV address does).

Last edited:
Just trying to point out that if you only have access on wifi and not away from your LAN, there's a connection problem between your NVR and the "cloud." I'm hoping Dan or Phil chime in.

Thanks, I do appreciate the input.

It's frustrating when my NVR is telling me it can see and is connected to the Guarding Vision site- see below.
1592929095533.png

...and that the GuardingVision.com site, when I logon (externally), is telling me it can see my NVR.
1592929192275.png

I struggle to understand why the apps (either Guarding Vision; Hik-Connect or HiLook) can't connect.

Back