01304 827609 info@use-ip.co.uk Find us

Should I use 4MP or 6MP Hikvision Powered By Darkfighter cameras?

lostdesign

Hi All,

New to the forum but have been lurking for a while research my IP camera setup! Have never had a camera setup but want one installed on our newly renovated home.

I live in a rural location with no lighting near by so ColorVu wont work for me as I don't want the white light on all night or a load of outdoor lights so have settled on powered by darkfighter cameras.

I plan to have 2 cameras on the front of the house, one 2.8mm to get a general overview of the drive and house front, and a 4mm to cover the door specifically.

My question is, which one of the following provides a better quality pic, the 4mp or 6mp? The sensor size is different in both but not sure if there is a way to calculate which will give a better pic? The price difference is very small so makes no odds.

DS-2CD2366G2-IU - 6mp
DS-2CD2346G2-IU - 4mp

Some of the local suppliers are also still supplying DS-2CD2365G1, I assume I am better off with the G2 version

Thanks

Hi @lostdesign

I agree that the Darkfighter cameras with IR are your best option.

The 6MP camera will give you a better picture than the 4MP - well spotted on the sensor size difference, but the difference this will make is negligible for these cameras.

If you look at the DORI section on the attached datasheet for both cameras, this gives a good indication of the picture quality, as it stated the maximum distance that you should be able to detect (D), observe (O), recognise (R) and identify (Y) a person.

This webpage explains DORI nicely in detail:

For the DS-2CD2346G2-IU:

1657808843908.png

For the DS-2CD2366G2-I(U):

1657808884102.png

Yes, I would recommend the G2 model as it is an Acusense model, which will help with filtering a lot of false positive alerts, and also has a built-in microphone.

Attachments

• DS-2CD2366G2-IU-C_Datasheet_V5.5.113_20220607.pdf
    1.5 MB · Views: 269
  • DS-2CD2346G2-IU-C_Datasheet_V5.5.112_20220607.pdf
    1.3 MB · Views: 271
Thanks for your reply, either of the Cameras will work for me I'd say.

Is there anything else you would reccomend in this approx price range that would do a better job? Or are these the best bet?

No worries - they're both cameras that I would normally recommend as best for domestic installations as 4MP and 6MP is plenty of resolution for most houses and gardens.

If you have a very large space in front of the house to cover, it may be worth using the 8MP DS-2CD2386G2-IU as the general overview camera.

On positioning too, our advice generally is to use a 2.8mm camera's wide field of view near the door to cover this and the space near the house, as this has a wider vertical field of view and almost no blind spot beneath the camera.

Then instead, use the 4mm camera higher up for a general overview, as the longer focal length will mean the image is stretched less so and will be sharper over a longer distance.

Back