01304 827609 info@use-ip.co.uk Find us

Sub Stream frame rate and performance with iVMS

MetalEarth

Hi,

I setup some cameras and did not really pay attention to the audio/video sub-stream settings. We are using a older PC to run iVMS 4200 lite. I have some newbie questions I am hoping somebody could help on.
  • My understanding is that over 4 cameras and it will select the sub stream automatically. Is this true?
  • The default frame rate for the sub-stream was full frame rate... I suppose that was bad setup on my part as we were seeing dropped frames. I assume this should be set to typically match the main stream, 12 to 15 pfs is what I typically use with H.265.
  • Any reason to not use 640 x 480 resolution on the sub-stream?
I am hoping to use iVMS-4200 Lite for just viewing the cameras on a secondary PC. I wish the lite would allow you to select the sub-stream as the full blow version of iVMS-4200 does. It is too resource intensive for out PCs...

If there are any other recommendations to improve the performance, please let me know. Buying new PCs can not be one of them :).

Should I look at a simple player instead - VLC or soothing. These are windows PCs. I wish there was a tinycam app for windows...

Thanks in advance for any/all help!

In iVMS-4200 lite, click Maintenance at the top. Under System Configuration>Live View and Playback make sure Auto-change Stream Type is NOT selected.

Then back in the Main View tab right click the camera and you will be able to select the stream type. Keep us posted.

Ah! Thank you very for your help. That makes perfect sense.

Do you change your substream settings to match the main stream typically?

Do you change your substream settings to match the main stream typically?
No.
The point of the sub-stream is that it is a less-good stream, using less bandwidth, less data.
Ideal for remote viewing, or for viewing multiple cameras at once.
By default it should be set to a lower resolution and a lower frame rate.

Your recording devices should use the primary stream for recording, at the highest resolution available (like I always say, that is what you paid for!), and at a sensible frame rate (which with the advent of h.265+ can now be set quite high without downsides):
Hikvision's h.265+ CODEC

Hi Phil - thank you. I agree and understand completely. I was asking in context to my 1st post above. Could you provide some feedback on my first post? I was really surprised, at least in my case, the sub streams appear to be set to full frame rate by default. I wonder if that is normal behavior.

Thanks again!

Hi,

I setup some cameras and did not really pay attention to the audio/video sub-stream settings. We are using a older PC to run iVMS 4200 lite. I have some newbie questions I am hoping somebody could help on.
  • My understanding is that over 4 cameras and it will select the sub stream automatically. Is this true?
  • The default frame rate for the sub-stream was full frame rate... I suppose that was bad setup on my part as we were seeing dropped frames. I assume this should be set to typically match the main stream, 12 to 15 pfs is what I typically use with H.265.
  • Any reason to not use 640 x 480 resolution on the sub-stream?
I am hoping to use iVMS-4200 Lite for just viewing the cameras on a secondary PC. I wish the lite would allow you to select the sub-stream as the full blow version of iVMS-4200 does. It is too resource intensive for out PCs...

If there are any other recommendations to improve the performance, please let me know. Buying new PCs can not be one of them :).

Should I look at a simple player instead - VLC or something else? These are windows PCs. I wish there was a tinycam app for windows...

Thanks in advance for any/all help!

What further info do you need please?
You should be able to multi-view, say 4 cameras at once in a quad view.
If you are having problems; black quadrants, no video, no resource - then right-click in the pane and check that it is set to use the sub-stream.
If it is, but you still cannot see video, then try adjusting the sub-stream settings to low settings (resolution and frame rate).

I would not expect those settings to be high by default.
I would expect a quad view or more to automatically switch to sub-stream, but I have not checked that behaviour in 4200-lite.

Ok - thanks again. The full frame rate through me as I did not expect it, and I did not check it. Which lead to poor performance.

I did not know if you had any feedback on -

"Should I look at a simple player instead - VLC or soothing. These are windows PCs. I wish there was a tinycam app for windows..."

Again, I am just trying to keep the camera viewing lite and simple.

I appreciate your help - sorry to be a newbie with some of these.

I don't think that there is anything 'lighter' available just now.

Hopefully, before too much longer Hikvision will provide a modern viewer like the Easy Viewer solution that Optio provide:
Optio IP cameras and NVRs

Back