01304 827609 info@use-ip.co.uk Find us

iVMS-4200 Having various problems with iVMS 3.9.0.5 - anyone else with issues?

codlord

Gives a lot of help
Trusted Member
I recently installed iVMS 3.9.0.5_E (on Windows 11). Due to problems I uninstalled previous version, rebooted and installed this new version so in theory its a fresh install.

I am having 2 main problems and wondered if anyone else experiencing issues:

1) When I start main view all the feeds are in sync (same time). But over the day all the feeds go out of sync by various times up to a minute or so. So some might show the correct time of say 16:59 but others will be 16:58. This is not a problem with times on cameras/NVRs this is a problem with iVMS feeds being the actual time behind by many seconds.

2) All my feeds are set to auto-change the stream. Clicking on a sub-stream to go full-screen main stream used to take a second or two. Now it can take anywhere up to 60 seconds! The full screen image shows the low-res sub-stream and I have to wait anything up to 60 seconds for it to change to the high-res main stream. Does not seem consistent which cameras and how long it takes.

1) When I start main view all the feeds are in sync (same time). But over the day all the feeds go out of sync by various times up to a minute or so. So some might show the correct time of say 16:59 but others will be 16:58. This is not a problem with times on cameras/NVRs this is a problem with iVMS feeds being the actual time behind by many seconds.
Could that be down to the network/PC struggling to keep up with the multiple connections. I've previously seen issues where a stream in iVMS would freeze but then 'catch up'. By that I mean it would play the footage at a faster speed to get back in sync. I assume that behaviour is due to it being a TCP stream and the software not wanting to drop frames. Perhaps switch to UDP and see if you get the same problems.

In iVMS Maintenance and Management tab, for each site click the Remote Configuration icon then basic settings. Then in Local > Live View Parameters switch from TCP to UDP and save.

Last edited:
Could that be down to the network/PC struggling to keep up with the multiple connections.
I have never had any issues like this before now.
In iVMS Maintenance and Management tab, for each site click the Remote Configuration icon then basic settings. Then in Local > Live View Parameters switch from TCP to UDP and save.
I tried that, 2 NVRs were already set to UDP, one I changed from TCP to UDP. But 2 others are on remote sites and HTTP is blocked, so I guess I can't check/change those 2 NVR settings without opening up their HTTP ports temporarily?

I have never had any issues like this before now.

I tried that, 2 NVRs were already set to UDP, one I changed from TCP to UDP. But 2 others are on remote sites and HTTP is blocked, so I guess I can't check/change those 2 NVR settings without opening up their HTTP ports temporarily?
Does the Remote Config within iVMS not display the settings page without the http port being open? I wasn't aware of that.

Now that you have three NVR's on UDP (the two that were, plus the one you've changed); can you narrow the issue down to the two remaining sites where the protocol is unknown?

@JB1970 thanks for your suggestions, I temp opened ports and now confirmed all are set to UDP but no change to the issue. Most of the time the stream auto-changes quickly, but sometimes it takes 10 to 60 seconds. And it's this 10 to 60 second delay which then puts the streams out-of-sync with the others from that point onward. So I am sure the two issues in my original post are related/same issue.

There does not seem to be a pattern to which NVRs/cameras have the stream-switch delay, sometimes it's local cameras, sometimes remote cameras, sometimes all cameras switch streams quickly as I would expect.

@JB1970 thanks for your suggestions, I temp opened ports and now confirmed all are set to UDP but no change to the issue. Most of the time the stream auto-changes quickly, but sometimes it takes 10 to 60 seconds. And it's this 10 to 60 second delay which then puts the streams out-of-sync with the others from that point onward. So I am sure the two issues in my original post are related/same issue.

There does not seem to be a pattern to which NVRs/cameras have the stream-switch delay, sometimes it's local cameras, sometimes remote cameras, sometimes all cameras switch streams quickly as I would expect.
Strange that it should affect local cameras as well. The only other couple of settings I can see that could affect live view performance are:

1 - System Configuration > Live View and Playback > 'Disconnect Background Videos in Single Live view'. If you're seeing this stream switching delay when you bring up a camera full screen, perhaps not having the other videos streaming behind the single full screen main stream may help.

2 - System Configuration > Image > Play Performance. By default it is set to Balanced (6 frames) - maybe try Shortest Delay (1 frame)

I'm clutching at straws to be honest as nothing obvious springs to mind. When this delay is happening, hover of the resource icon in the top right and see if Network, Memory or CPU are maxing out.

@JB1970 again, thanks for ideas. Still getting problems, more often with the remote sites, but still sometimes with the local site.

1) When I try the "disconnect" setting - the issue still occurs with the same infrequency but instead of showing the low-res sub-stream at full screen for up to 60 seconds, it will just show a full screen black view for up to 60 seconds before displaying the high-res main stream. Which kind of makes sense as it has disconnected all sub-streams including the one I clicked on so does not show anything until the main stream eventually displays.

2) I still get the issue occurring regardless of the play performance setting.

Someone else on the forum did mention there is a newer release 3.9.1.4 on the global site here but I am not sure if it's safe/wise to try that in the UK or not?

Someone else on the forum did mention there is a newer release 3.9.1.4 on the global site here but I am not sure if it's safe/wise to try that in the UK or not?
Yeah I saw that and loaded it and it works fine for me. There should be no harm in trying it. It'll upgrade directly without the need to export the existing config. That said, I would do an export of the config while on 3.9.0.5 prior to updating. That way if you need to uninstall the newer version, you can just re install the older one and import the config without issue.

It seems like the error is in the stream switching. I used to get something similar years ago with some cameras on iVMS 4500 (phone app) where the cam would fail to switch to main stream and give an 8200 error. I'd be left with no access to the main stream until I deleted and re added the site from the app. I never did get to the bottom of it...

I guess there is still no new Mac version?
No, I think it's fair to say that Hikvision aren't particularly interested in providing support for Mac. The MacOS version of iVMS has not seen updates for some time and browser support is lacking for Safari and Mac versions of Firefox and Chrome. I have Parallels installed on mine and run Windows 11 ARM in a VM to get around it.

I'm wondering now if the problems I am having are related to this recent G1 firmware update. The G1 firmware has not been updated since 2021 and now suddenly a new firmware with release notes of:

"Network Camera-V5.6.820 Release Note-G1 (2022-05-19)"
"Modify Function: Improve real-time performance during multiple LiveView"

And it's exactly "real-time performance during multiple LiveView" which I am having problems with. Maybe HikVision made a change to iVMS which requires a change to the camera firmware to work correctly? I hope so, the majority (of my cameras are G1 so I better go an update them all I guess....

I still have one G1 camera (DS-2CD2347G1-LU). Odd how this new firmware is dated from May 2022 and only now being made available, a year later, and only the UK portal. It's not on EU portal nor global website that I can see. Have you updated out of interest?

Back