01304 827609 info@use-ip.co.uk Find us

Time lapse videos with Milesight cameras

Mal

Hi,

I have made some experiments and found CCTV cameras very practical in creating still image sequences for time lapse videos.
The first experiments were made by recording to the internal memory cards of Hikvision DS-2CD4A25 and DS-2CD4526 cameras.
One year ago, after recording many nights during several months I succeeded in recording some nice Northern lights.

Recently I tried to do the same with Milesight cameras. I was curious to see how well the 0.002 Lux 2 MP cameras actually perform in low light.
The Northern lights have been recently absent and therefore other targets were needed.

The setup is very easy. The storage menu has a submenu Snapshot. Depending on the target I have used 5s … 120s intervals.
The speedup factor is the interval in seconds multiplied by the frames-per-second setting used in the video creation phase.
After the laborious 100 files at a time download from memory card (with Hikvision) I found it very easy to configure Milesight to use ftp transfer to the NAS disk.

There are many different applications for creating time lapse videos. I haven’t tried any on the PC. These examples have been compiled using the Time Lapse Assember on a Mac. The practical way to learn is to try different settings and compare the results.

These light pillars from streetlights were captured with the VR Mini Dome UI-2A73-PCV. The interval was 10s.
Dropbox - 2018-01-23-pillars-720p.mov

The Pro-Bullet camera UI-2A62-FIPCV was used to record the blooming of amaryllis using a 120s interval.
Dropbox - Amaryllis2-2.mov

If the result is too slow, it is possible to get further speedup in video editor. This sequence was edited twice in iMovie with a final speeup of appr. 3600x (the side effect was a slight softening of the image. The goal is to show how trees raised their branches up when the heavy snow load disappeared in one night.
Dropbox - lumi-hd-8x-4x.mov

The links are valid for a limited period. Please do not distribute the videos without my permission.
I hope you enjoy watching these videos and return with your own experiments.

Hi @Mal Thanks for this contribution and for sharing your time-lapse videos

Tracing the paths and origins of ants around the house takes time and requires patience. CCTV camera could help in the observation. Mini PTZ Bullet was recording the fate of a small pile of sugar last night from a distance with maximum 12x zoom-in and the result was recorded from the fast playback on the NVR. It was funny to notice that their planning for the attack required almost three hours. Maybe it was about timing to the darkest moment of the night. The camera performed surprisingly well in the night even without IR.

Attachments

• VID_20180518_085808.mp4.zip
    48.5 MB · Views: 339
Thanks @Mal
Made me smile - I think the longer days must be making you go a little crazy if you've started spying on ants!
BTW - a lot of ants!

Back