01304 827609 info@use-ip.co.uk Find us

Unable to get motion detection working properly?

I've been sent a file by Hikvision via Wetransfer. I get the same error message, although this time it ran through to100%, but the NVR did not reboot. I'm waiting for them to advise.

Screenshot 2023-10-06 at 13.54.04.png

This is the info on the bottom of the NVR by the way...
IMG_6540.jpg

I decided to try running the upgrade from ivms-4200 on a whim...and it worked! No idea why. Perhaps this will help someone else in future.

latest firmware.png

I now have additional menus on the NVR interface, but I still don't see anything in the target detection playback, there's no red indicating motion events - same story as before.
There is now an option to set perimeter protection, but it can't be enabled. Camera dropdown is greyed out (no available channel for...). Perhaps cameras are not supported?
I was hoping to set up line crossing, because as Dan said, motion detection is a blunt tool.

I've been sent a file by Hikvision via Wetransfer. I get the same error message, although this time it ran through to100%, but the NVR did not reboot. I'm waiting for them to advise.
Did you tell Hikvision what your current firmware is?

I am wondering if a full factory reset of the NVR would help, the current config could be corrupted. The key to this is where your existing firmware came from, you need someone who has access to Hikvision technical resources.
I decided to try running the upgrade from ivms-4200 on a whim...and it worked! No idea why. Perhaps this will help someone else in future.

View attachment 9936
I suspect the web GUI firmware upgrade path was the problem, I think ivms4200 uses a different method.
I now have additional menus on the NVR interface, but I still don't see anything in the target detection playback, there's no red indicating motion events - same story as before.
There is now an option to set perimeter protection, but it can't be enabled. Camera dropdown is greyed out (no available channel for...). Perhaps cameras are not supported?
I was hoping to set up line crossing, because as Dan said, motion detection is a blunt tool.
@Dan is right, motion detection is a very blunt tool. I use intrusion detection on my 7608 NI NVR, which I've tweaked to minimise false alarms. I am not familiar with the K series NVR.

Did you tell Hikvision what your current firmware is?

I am wondering if a full factory reset of the NVR would help, the current config could be corrupted. The key to this is where your existing firmware came from, you need someone who has access to Hikvision technical resources.

I suspect the web GUI firmware upgrade path was the problem, I think ivms4200 uses a different method.

@Dan is right, motion detection is a very blunt tool. I use intrusion detection on my 7608 NI NVR, which I've tweaked to minimise false alarms. I am not familiar with the K series NVR.
I did tell them the firmware I had.
They confirmed that the hardware is EU/UK compatible.
They also seemed to think that the hardware might be obsolete (that's why they don't list it) - I bought it in April! Grrr.

I could do a factory reset...then I presume I'd need to upgrade with the same firmware I just used?

I wonder whether this will unlock the perimeter crossing option...Worth a try.
Maybe tomorrow.
*Sigh*

I've restored to factory defaults...although weirdly all my camera configs, names and OSD settings were retained. So I don't know how much of a reset it really was.
The motion detection situation is the same on the NVR interface - (no events found in quick playback, no red markers for motion detection, but events can be searched for and found in the search tab).
However, I'm able to see red events in the ivms-4200 interface. ;-)

Perimeter protection is unavailable as before (from both interfaces) - not able to toggle "Enable", thus no Line crossing, intrusion etc. are configurable.

perimeter protection.JPG

It would be great to be able to solve this.

Last edited:
I've restored to factory defaults...although weirdly all my camera configs, names and OSD settings were retained. So I don't know how much of a reset it really was.
The motion detection situation is the same on the NVR interface - (no events found in quick playback, no red markers for motion detection, but events can be searched for and found in the search tab).
However, I'm able to see red events in the ivms-4200 interface. ;-)

Perimeter protection is unavailable as before (from both interfaces) - not able to toggle "Enable", thus no Line crossing, intrusion etc. are configurable.

View attachment 9938

It would be great to be able to solve this.
have you tried selecting a camera channel first?

David

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-10-08 at 07.37.02.png
    Screenshot 2023-10-08 at 07.37.02.png
    5.7 MB · Views: 69
have you tried selecting a camera channel first?

David
Yes, but the dropdown is greyed out, and it's impossible to toggle the "Enable" button.
Normal events and Face Recognition can be enabled, and the camera dropdown is active.
Perimeter Protection and Other Events both don't have the option to choose a camera, and the Enable button can't be toggled.

Yes, but the dropdown is greyed out, and it's impossible to toggle the "Enable" button.
Normal events and Face Recognition can be enabled, and the camera dropdown is active.
Perimeter Protection and Other Events both don't have the option to choose a camera, and the Enable button can't be toggled.
Not sure but you may have to select the camera first to enable intrusion detection etc.

What computer and web browser are you using?

David

I'm unable to select a camera at all. Not on the NVR interface or ivms-4200. I haven't fired up my Windows VM, because I know it will be the same issue.
I suspect it's a limitation of this NVR.
I will try to get hold of Hikvision tech again and see if that's the case.

I'm very confused about the different interfaces - different options in each and they don't agree with each other. If I set regions and enable motion detection in the NVR direct interface, and then go to ivms-4200, it shows as disabled, yet it's working!

I'm unable to select a camera at all. Not on the NVR interface or ivms-4200. I haven't fired up my Windows VM, because I know it will be the same issue.
I suspect it's a limitation of this NVR.
I will try to get hold of Hikvision tech again and see if that's the case.

I'm very confused about the different interfaces - different options in each and they don't agree with each other. If I set regions and enable motion detection in the NVR direct interface, and then go to ivms-4200, it shows as disabled, yet it's working!
Try to work direct from the NVR using mouse and keyboard. See this manual , bear in mind the interface shown may differ due to firmware differences.

are your cameras connected to the poe ports on the NVR?

David

I have been working on the NVR. Absolutely no way to choose a camera or enable anything under perimeter protection.
Yes, the cameras are connected to the POE ports on the NVR.
I'm going to see what Hikvision says in the morning...

I have been working on the NVR. Absolutely no way to choose a camera or enable anything under perimeter protection.
Yes, the cameras are connected to the POE ports on the NVR.
I'm going to see what Hikvision says in the morning...
When you upgraded the camera firmware did you use the NVR virtual host interface?

No, I used the web interface on a Windows VM.
Like I said earlier, when I reset to factory settings, it kept my camera names and settings, so I'm not confident that the NVR was reset properly.
Still waiting for Hikvision support to wake up and reply to me. They were quite responsive last time, so I'm ever hopeful.

Like I said earlier, when I reset to factory settings, it kept my camera names and settings, so I'm not confident that the NVR was reset properly.
You've only did a partial factory reset, let's see what Hikvision say. The NVR firmware (old / new) are strange, the version numbers and dates are odd, Hikvisions firmware administration is terrible.

David

You've only did a partial factory reset, let's see what Hikvision say. The NVR firmware (old / new) are strange, the version numbers and dates are odd, Hikvisions firmware administration is terrible.

David
Here is the response from Hikvision:

Good day, thank you for contacting Hikvision. This model NVR does not support Smart events, if you have cameras that support the smart events you will need to enable the events directly on the cameras.

Here is the response from Hikvision:

Good day, thank you for contacting Hikvision. This model NVR does not support Smart events, if you have cameras that support the smart events you will need to enable the events directly on the cameras.
that surprises me.

@Dan I thought the K series NVR supported smart events?

David

Sorry @David @RexTheRunt

I've lost track of what is happening in this thread, what exactly did you ask Hikvision support?

From our experience, Hik support staff often have English as a 2nd language so things can get a little muddled in their answers, if you let me know what you asked them I can probably figure out what their answer actually means because the K-series NVRs definitely support smart events.

Sorry @David @RexTheRunt

I've lost track of what is happening in this thread, what exactly did you ask Hikvision support?

From our experience, Hik support staff often have English as a 2nd language so things can get a little muddled in their answers, if you let me know what you asked them I can probably figure out what their answer actually means because the K-series NVRs definitely support smart events.
I asked them this:

I'm unable to use Perimeter Protection or Other Events with my NVR. Can you confirm whether this model supports those features? Only "Normal Events" - (motion detection) - and Face Recognition can be enabled. The dropdown is greyed out and says "No available channel for ..."
My model number is DS-7604NI-K1/4P

Back