01304 827609 info@use-ip.co.uk Find us

Unable to get motion detection working properly?

Thanks @RexTheRunt

That is strange, I've checked a 7604NI-K1 NVR we have here in the office and it definitely does support the smart event options. Going back through your earlier posts I see your comment about the camera selection dropdown being greyed out, we have never seen this before and I've never seen it say "No channel available" as it usually just defaults to the first available channel.

I can only think that there is a hardware/software fault with your NVR or it is using an unusual custom firmware, I think your only options are going to be to get an installer in to get hands-on with the system or purchase a new replacement NVR.

Maybe also go back to Hikvision support and ask them to confirm exactly why your particular model doesn't support smart events when you have had it confirmed by other 7604NI-K1 users that there NVRs do support smart events.

TLDR....

But from the first post it appears:

1 - events are working as you've configured them and can search for them
2 - On Playback, clicking events tab the markers are not showing

Directly on the NVR GUI (not via browser) go into the menu and find the option "save camera VCA data" and switch it ON. This option has been introduced into many newer NVR firmware builds. Annoyingly it is switched OFF by default and so you can lose the event markers simply by updating firmware if you don't subsequently find the option and enable it. I can't remember if the options is in the same place on all models. On mine it's in Storage > Advanced but I seem to remember seeing it on some DVRs in Maintenance.

One other thing to note about how the newer interface works on many models now. The Playback > Events shows the markers (when "Save camera VCA is enabled" but you have to drag the timeline to them, zoom in on them. A better way of using playback is to:

1 - leave it selected on the Normal playback tab
2 - click the Human icon in the lower left corner (if present) - all the markers will appear
3 - Use the "skip normal video" checkbox adjacent to the icons as a toggle. Enable it to skip between each human event and when you find something you want to continue watching uncheck the box. Check it again to re commence the skipping to find other events of interest.

If your model is able to work as above, teh Event tab is only relevant if you want to use the "Space Rule" and search for non AcuSense events outside of your predefined event configuration.

Last edited:
@RexTheRunt,
Summary for Dan below, add correct as necessary.

@Dan,
Looking at the attached image there are no cameras to select from the drop down box, this may be why the perimeter detection can't be enabled.

Hikvision confirm it is a European model.

Cameras are connected to the NVR rear poe ports, firmware current.

NVR firmware is current (file from Hikvision) but when comparing the original and current firmware numbers / build dates, the build dates are out of sync.

Partial factory reset done retaining Camera and IP setup.

I'm not familiar with the K series and don't want to give bad advice.....

David

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-10-08 at 07.37.02.png
    Screenshot 2023-10-08 at 07.37.02.png
    5.7 MB · Views: 77
Thanks @David

We really are stumped, I don't think any of our technical team has ever seen that 'No available channel' message in the camera dropdown before.

Seeing that would suggest that there are no cameras added to the NVR or the cameras added don't support events, but the cameras are added and are the latest ColorVu cameras that support events.

I would recommend @RexTheRunt that you try the "VCA data" setting that @JB1970 has mentioned above, I'm not aware that when this setting is off it completely disables events but it might be the case with this NVR & camera combination.

Thanks @RexTheRunt

That is strange, I've checked a 7604NI-K1 NVR we have here in the office and it definitely does support the smart event options. Going back through your earlier posts I see your comment about the camera selection dropdown being greyed out, we have never seen this before and I've never seen it say "No channel available" as it usually just defaults to the first available channel.

I can only think that there is a hardware/software fault with your NVR or it is using an unusual custom firmware, I think your only options are going to be to get an installer in to get hands-on with the system or purchase a new replacement NVR.

Maybe also go back to Hikvision support and ask them to confirm exactly why your particular model doesn't support smart events when you have had it confirmed by other 7604NI-K1 users that there NVRs do support smart events.
Thanks Dan. Having heard from my local Hikvision tech support that this model does not support Smart Events, and having looked at the manual online which states that Perimeter protection is only supported on certain models (not specified), I think your advice to use a different NVR would be the only solution. As it's not absolutely vital, I think I'll live with what I have.
I am curious to know how the cameras could be configured to record these Smart events if the NVR does not support this feature...(which is what they suggest I do.) But I don't think I'll waste anymore time on that.
Thanks for contributing to the solution, I appreciate your time.

Reactions: Dan
TLDR....

But from the first post it appears:

1 - events are working as you've configured them and can search for them
2 - On Playback, clicking events tab the markers are not showing

Directly on the NVR GUI (not via browser) go into the menu and find the option "save camera VCA data" and switch it ON. This option has been introduced into many newer NVR firmware builds. Annoyingly it is switched OFF by default and so you can lose the event markers simply by updating firmware if you don't subsequently find the option and enable it. I can't remember if the options is in the same place on all models. On mine it's in Storage > Advanced but I seem to remember seeing it on some DVRs in Maintenance.

One other thing to note about how the newer interface works on many models now. The Playback > Events shows the markers (when "Save camera VCA is enabled" but you have to drag the timeline to them, zoom in on them. A better way of using playback is to:

1 - leave it selected on the Normal playback tab
2 - click the Human icon in the lower left corner (if present) - all the markers will appear
3 - Use the "skip normal video" checkbox adjacent to the icons as a toggle. Enable it to skip between each human event and when you find something you want to continue watching uncheck the box. Check it again to re commence the skipping to find other events of interest.

If your model is able to work as above, teh Event tab is only relevant if you want to use the "Space Rule" and search for non AcuSense events outside of your predefined event configuration.
Thanks for weighing in, I appreciate it.
I did enable "Save camera VCA data, and it hasn't changed anything. I think it's something weird about this particular firmware/software config which is designed specifically to derange any sane person.
As you point out, the events are being recorded, but the interface is not allowing me to navigate to them in the expected way.
For example, I'd expect that in the Playback menu, there should be a similar checkbox next to the cameras in the Normal and the Event tab, but there are not.
IMG_6629.jpg
IMG_6630.jpg

The only way is to search for events under the search tab.
It's possible to see the events in the timeline of the ivms-4200 interface (they're magenta coloured as expected), but not in the NVR interface.

I'm just going to move on from this and accept that I've got myself a less than optimal system.

I don't want to waste any more of your time...Thanks for sticking with me on this!

Not to flog a dead horse, but all of these options appear in the pop-up when I click on the alarm icon at the top right.
Probably just to taunt me.
IMG_6631.jpg

For example, I'd expect that in the Playback menu, there should be a similar checkbox next to the cameras in the Normal and the Event tab, but there are not.
That's normal. Smart Playback as it's called on some models or Event Playback as it is on yours only allows playback of one camera at a time, so there are no checkboxes, you just double click the camera name to display that camera.

The only other thing that springs to mind is that for each camera, ensure Dual VCA is enabled. You can find this using the web browser at:

Configuration > Video/Audio > Display Info On Stream

Screenshot 2023-10-13 at 11.17.03.png

That's normal. Smart Playback as it's called on some models or Event Playback as it is on yours only allows playback of one camera at a time, so there are no checkboxes, you just double click the camera name to display that camera.

The only other thing that springs to mind is that for each camera, ensure Dual VCA is enabled. You can find this using the web browser at:

Configuration > Video/Audio > Display Info On Stream

View attachment 9978
Thanks - that was enabled by default.

Thanks - that was enabled by default.
Ok give me 5 mins to scoot through the other posts in this thread and I'll see if there's anything else I can suggest to check. I can't accept that the NVR is not compatible in any way...

Ok give me 5 mins to scoot through the other posts in this thread and I'll see if there's anything else I can suggest to check. I can't accept that the NVR is not compatible in any way...
Please don't let me take any more of your time!
I just checked the camera via the web interface, as they've told me this model supports Smart Events. The only one available is Scene change, so it looks like I'm not going to be able to set up line or perimeter crossing in any case.
Screenshot 2023-10-13 at 12.38.39.png

This is the login to the camera, not NVR.

@RexTheRunt - I spotted a few things that together are ringing alarm bells...

1 - You've posted that you have the DS7604NI-K1 but in post #5 your screenshot shows the 'VCA Mode' selection box which would only be expected on the DS7604NXI-K1 ( the model that supports AcuSense processing in the NVR directly)

2 - In post #11 the basic information shows that you have model DS7604NI-K1 but the firmware shows platform K20A9 which is the firmware for the DS7604NXI-K1. The 7604NI-K1 model would have K74, K9B2, or K21B2 platform firmware (for hardware revision B, C and D respectively)

I think you have a model to firmware mismatch. You have NXI firmware on it. Unless that the models are named differently in your region. Looking at your last post I'm not sure why that camera would not support Line Detection etc.

Hmmm - just thought of something.....

Last edited:
@RexTheRunt - I spotted a few things that together are ringing alarm bells...

1 - You've posted that you have the DS7604NI-K1 but in post #5 your screenshot shows the 'VCA Mode' selection box which would only be expected on the DS7604NXI-K1 ( the model that supports AcuSense processing in the NVR directly)

2 - In post #11 the basic information shows that you have model DS7604NI-K1 but the firmware shows platform K20A9 which is the firmware for the DS7604NXI-K1. The 7604NI-K1 model would have K74, K9B2, or K21B2 platform firmware (for hardware revision B, C and D respectively)

I think you have a model to firmware mismatch. You have NXI firmware on it. I'm not sure how that can be checked and rectified.
Oh no - this is the firmware that was sent directly to me by Hikvision SA. I'll ask them to explain and see if they have a solution.

....In your Camera directly go to:

System > System Settings > VCA Resource

It should be on Smart Event but I think you have it on either Face Capture or Monitoring which is why Smart Events aren't available.

Ah, I see! I was asked to set it to monitoring here when I was setting up rotate mode.
It seems that if I change from monitoring to Smart Event, rotate mode is reset to 0.
So I'm not sure how to proceed.

Response from Hikvision about the model and firmware:

hikvision database.jpeg

Please see above from our database, that specific model NVR uses the K20A9 firmware.

Hi @RexTheRunt

Sorry, I completely forgot that we had previously discussed the rotate mode, but my colleague @Kyle did point out in that rotate mode thread that enabling rotate mode would disable the smart events. You have to decide which is more important for your scene, the rotated FoV or the smart events.

In regards to the NVR model, it does appear to be a region-specific model because the UK/EU market has had (B), (C), and (D) models but never a (X) model. I think what confused things is that the physical box/hardware is EU but has been customised for the South African market with the firmware you received from Hikvision SA.

This is the file that Dan linked me to...
NVR_K9B2_BL_ML_STD_V4.72.109_230107
I wonder if I should risk using it instead?

Hi @RexTheRunt

Sorry, I completely forgot that we had previously discussed the rotate mode, but my colleague @Kyle did point out in that rotate mode thread that enabling rotate mode would disable the smart events. You have to decide which is more important for your scene, the rotated FoV or the smart events.

Yes, I completely forgot that too!
In regards to the NVR model, it does appear to be a region-specific model because the UK/EU market has had (B), (C), and (D) models but never a (X) model. I think what confused things is that the physical box/hardware is EU but has been customised for the South African market with the firmware you received from Hikvision SA.
So that answers my question - not a good idea to use the UK/EU one then...

Hi @RexTheRunt

Yes, stick with the firmware Hikvision SA has provided you.

It looks like your specific South African K-series model is using K20A9 firmware which is not the same firmware used by the UK/EU K-series NVRs.

Back