01304 827609 info@use-ip.co.uk Find us

Firmware Upgrading the firmware of my DS7608NI-I2/8p NVR?

thebaz

The forum here is very helpful and informative, so hopefully someone can assist me.
I have a Hikvision DS-7608NI-I2/8P 3.495. Build 170626, Serial number DS-7608NI-I2/8P0820170815CCRR815181497WCVU. Running 1 4tb WD purple drive
It has some problems and I would like to try and upgrade the firmware.
I had a problem with the video freezing in live view, but not all windows at the same time.
When I did the factory default reset, the NVR would not proceed without input of a new password and I have read that having passwords previously previously stored before the upgrade is what can cause the upgrade to fail.
Strangely after imputing all passwords and settings without upgrading the firmware, the NVR now operates perfectly and no longer freezes, has sluggish performance or fails to be accessed by my indoor station like it was before.
The other weird thing is that although all passwords etc were wiped, the line crossing and intrusion areas were still present as before the reset, but email settings were gone.

I have downloaded many version of the firmware and have been hesitant to try the upgrade due to many who have bricked their NVRs doing the upgrade.
I purchased the unit in Australia but have no way of verifying the region that the NVR originally was flashed for. The earliest version I have after mine is 4.160.
Can someone recommend a version that will be the least likely to brick the unit when upgrading from 3.495?
Hikvision state that you can go straight to 4.5x so I am wondering if that is better than starting at 4.16x where users have bricked their NVRs before me.

The only issue I have now apart from running early firmware is that when I add the door station as an IP camera it crashes the NVR. I did have this working for a couple of days once but it crashes now pretty much straight after the door station is added.
I can see the door station in IVMS, and hikconnect over wifi and internet but not on the NVR.
Hope that makes sense and someone can offer some insight.

Hi Dan,
Thanks so much for your reply. What is the procedure to update the firmware that will prevent password conflicts that I have read about. I have read that a factory reset is recommended, but I was required to enter a password and pattern before I could proceed after the reset.
As the NVR is running perfectly now, I would really hate to brick it for the sake of upgraded firmware.

Hi @thebaz

If you update the firmware one version at a time I don't think there will be any password conflict issue.

If anything the password conflict issue is more likely to happen if you do reset the NVR because the cameras will hang on to the old password and if you don't reset the password on the NVR as the same as before it will conflict with the old password on the cameras.

You might also see a conflict if the NVR/cameras are using a weak password because the newer firmware did introduce certain security measures that required NVRs & cameras to use strong passwords for them to connect to each other.

You might also see a conflict if the NVR/cameras are using a weak password because the newer firmware did introduce certain security measures that required NVRs & cameras to use strong passwords for them to connect to each other.
I believe that the firmware becomes easier to upgrade after 4.x firmware, am I better off to change the password to a stronger one prior to upgrading firmware

Hi @thebaz

Does your NVR/camera password include at least 3 of the following - lowercase, uppercase, numbers, special characters

If it does then the password should be strong enough and there shouldn't be any need to change the password before updating.

Hi guys,

I tried going from 3.4.93 to 3.4.103, once it rebooted it said to enter a new password, It wouldn't let me enter a user so I left user blank and entered a new password, then it said to draw pattern, when I try to do anything it asks for the admin pattern, the pattern I set doesn't work and I keep loosing trys, I tried forget my pattern and it seems I am back in a loop as there is no user and when entering the password nothing happens.
Image-1.jpg

Hi
Seems that only way to bypass is the Hard Reset option by Pressing and holding the motherboard reset button(if exists beside the small battery).
You must remove the box cover and access the board
There are many how to videos in Youtube.
Call or take advice from an experiensed technician
You will lose all your previous settings but this could be the solution

Back