01304 827609 info@use-ip.co.uk Find us

Waterproofing a DS-2CD2042WD-1

Jan J

Centurion!
Trusted Member
Here in the Smokey Mountains of Western NC, Humidity is a big issue.... At all times of the year.... This year no different, I believe we are 12" over normal for the year..... We've had a couple of 4" Rains this year, and we are Hundreds of miles from the coast....
I now have 4x cameras outside, under POE control, and just to be on the safe side, I've waterproofed them greater than what factory has alrady supplied...

First, before beginning I verify that the screws holding clamshell together are tight... I've found a couple new cameras with slightly loose screws.... !!
Then I:

1. Use Silicone Glue to seal where the Power and ethernet cable comes out of the camera inside the metal tube.... and set it aside until it cures...
2. on the camera I fill all the screw holes with silicone glue... flush with camera body...
3. On the seam in the middle of the camera where the factory waterproofing is done, I add a tad of silicone glue on this seam, and work it around the camera, and then cover it with a few layers of clear tape....When that cures it becomes a multi layer gasket protecting this seam... better than the factory....
4.. Where the Camera mount attaches to waterproof PVC Box, Silicone glue is placed in 3 Mount Screw holes, around camera mount matiing surfaces, and the drain hole in camera mount (facing downward) is also sealed, to prevent insect access....

I'm using 1/2" PVC pipe to shield the POE cable (using premade Cat6 cable -- it just goes through the PVC 90 Degree bends). and it takes the same stain as the deck has so it doesn't stand out..... I have not stained the camera, just the PVC mount and Pipe...

4 cameras have been done this way, and I recently had to visit them to see what lenz they had (Which I edited into the camera Description settings, so I don't have to do this again!!!), and the extra waterproofing I've done is still fine (Even with an occasional spray of Spider killer!).... The oldest outside camera is probably about 3 years outside, and even this oldest shows no sign of weathering on the areas I did....

Last edited:
Back