01304 827609 info@use-ip.co.uk Find us

What ports are used by web live-view?

codlord

Gives a lot of help
Trusted Member
I have two identical cameras/firmware. One has working web-based live view, the other does not. I think it may be due to the live view using additional ports and the camera I have remote has port restrictions. I thought maybe it was using the RTSP port 554 but even if I open that port the live view still fails on the remote camera.

Does anyone know if I need further ports open to get live view to work?

Camera on a local network (no port restrictions locally) the web-based camera interface live view works fine.

Camera on a remote network which has port/IP restrictions when I connect remotely to the web-based camera interface - live view does NOT work.

Both cameras are connected to their networks via a PoE switch, not directly into the NVR.

For remotely viewing in a browser, you will need to open the HTTP (80 by default), Server (8000 by default) and RTSP (554 by default) ports.

Also, it's definitely advisable to change these to something else, as the default ports can easily be guessed by anyone that wants to try and connect to the cameras/NVR - you can change them in a browser in Configuration > Network > Basic Settings Settings > Port.
The main issue will be that you're using the default ports of 80 (http) 554 (rtsp) and 8000 (server). Every undesirable knows these common ports and so I've frequently seen systems bombarded with login attempts (in excess of 2000 over the space of a few hours). Just pick three consecutive ports, change them in the NVR and amend your port forwarding in the router to suit. The numbers must be higher than 2000 (as the server port number must be 2000 or higher)

Do you have any luck with all of these opened?

Also, make sure you are not forwarding the same ports for each camera as these need to be unique for every device that you want to remotely connect to (which may explain why one camera is working fine and the other isn't). If you're using an NVR, then the easiest thing will probably be to forward the three necessary ports on the NVR rather than for the individual cameras - this should still work even if the cameras are connected via a switch.

Thanks @Kyle. Still having no luck. Just to be clear - it is not one camera at the remote site with working live view and another not working. It's a camera where web live view works in a local network environment, but not over the web to a remote site. But the same make/model/firmware of camera and PC/browser viewing the web interface. So I know the PC/browser AND camera can support web live view, it just web live view won't work over the internet.

As an example, say my remote IP was: 123.456.789.100
My NVR at the remote site is local address: 192.168.0.10
And a camera at the remote site is local address: 192.168.0.11

I open ports 80, 554 and 8000 to 192.168.0.10 (the NVR).

I can point iVMS to 123.456.789.100:8000 and all works o.k.
I can go to http://123.456.789.100 and see the NVR web interface (but no live view).
I can go to rtsp://123.456.789.100/Streaming/Channels/101 and see my channel 1 main view.

So I know the 3 ports 8000, 80 and 554 are 100% open.

If I then change my open ports 80, 554 and 8000 to point to 192.168.0.11 (the Camera).
I can now go to http://123.456.789.100 and see the Camera web interface (but again, no live view).

Looking at that example setup as @Kyle says you need individual ports open for each device. In the case of the NVR you can treat this as one device and port forward the NVR server, http and RTSP ports to the NVR local IP address. For another NVR or individual camera on the same LAN you would need to use different ports and forward those.

However from what you're describing and the fact that you've proven the port forwarding, it does seem more likely to be a browser or plugin issue and that while login to the webpage (remotely) is successful, the video streaming in the webpage is not.

On the latest I series firmware 4.51.025 (or maybe the one before .017), live web view was restored for Mac users with Safari. However I noticed that, like you, this would only work while on the same LAN. Despite all ports being forwarded correctly, live view fails when I'm remote.

Back