01304 827609 info@use-ip.co.uk Find us

Access my cameras on the internet via a business domain?

Hikvision87

Hi

Total newbie to Hikvision. I can physically install everything fine and get it up and running. However how do I gain access via a specific domain of my choosing and not a third party?

I might be on the wrong path here but I see a lot regarding ddns and using the noip service. Is this how I go about it?

So what I am after is for example:

Shopname.businessname.com

If someone can point me in some kind of direction it would be appreciated please.

Thank you.

It depends ...

If your cameras are for security, then most people opt to use Hikvision's Hik-Connect App and service with their Hikvision cameras.
You can configure other options, but you will not get PUSH alerts to your mobile phone by other methods.

If you go the manual config route, then there are two steps:
  1. To find your cameras/site on the world wide web.
  2. To access and view your cameras.

If you have an internet connection with a fixed IP address then that is step 1 dealt with.
Most ISPs will provide a fixed IP address. Some charge. Some, such as BT Business just need to be asked to set it up. Some such as Virgin are more or less 'fixed'.

If a fixed IP address is not an option, then that is where DDNS applies.
Dyn used to offer a free service and was therefore the most popular. Now they charge for the service, but probably have the best explainer resources:

Getting Started with Dynamic DNS | Dyn Help Center

My Dyn Account

NoIP is another option that is valid for use with Hikvision cameras:
Free Dynamic DNS - Managed DNS - Managed Email - Domain Registration - No-IP

I believe they still offer a free service.
A free service may limit the options of domain name that you can use to only those that they offer as ready-made options.

So, the above enables you to 'find' your site and camera on the world wide web.
But, in doing so, you will merely arrive at your router's defences.
To get past those, you will manually need to configure 'port forwarding'.

The best resource to help you set that up for your particular router is probably portforward.com:
How To Set Up Port Forwarding - Port Forward

Elsewhere in this forum you'll find the details of the actual port numbers that you need to configure ...

Thanks for the reply.

I do have a static IP. I will look into this further.

BTW if it is a web attraction type application and not security, then you can configure a YouTube stream.
Ideal if you are hoping for a lot of people to view a camera.

This demo through our office window is an Axis camera, but you get the idea:

Back