01304 827609 info@use-ip.co.uk Find us

Accuracy of smart events on AcuSense camera with non-AcuSense NVR

mjohn

Hi,

I am using Acusense camera with non-acusense NVR 7616NI-I. Most of the smart events settings seems to configurable from both NVR and camera. Some of them seems to be independent configurations in Camera and some of them, if configured in NVR will reflect in Camera too. For example,
  • Enabling a smart event, if done from NVR, is reflected in Camera settings too and vice versa
  • Notify surveillance center works only if enabled from NVR. It doesn't work if this is set from camera web interface
  • E-mail notification can be configured independently in NVR and camera. If enabled in both, will receive seperate notification both from Camera and NVR

A couple of problems I see are:
  1. I noticed that the notifications generated from Camera are more accurate and reliable. NVR generate intrusion/line-crossing event even for non-human objects like a cat or a bird though smart event is enabled only for "Human" objects. As the surveillance notifications are not working from Camera, I have to do it in NVR. However, since NVR generates lots of false alarms, we are not able to rely on the notification coming on surveillance center. Is there any way to generate surveillance notifications from Camera or make the smart event notification generated from NVR as reliable as in Camera?
  2. When we set up line crossing notification, as we are drawing the line on a 2 dimensional plane, it looks like the camera may not see the line where we intended it to be. I want to get notification if any one crosses in to our compound, but its generating notification even if some one goes nearby the boundary and no part of their body even comes in contact with the line in the 2 dimensional view.
  3. In one camera, it's generating line-crossing notification when the movement happens in opposite direction. I have configured the line crossing from A->B but the notification gets generated if a human moves in B->A direction anywhere near the line. Not sure why this is happening

Any recommendation to improve the accuracy of smart events in these scenarios?

I am still learning myself, but I noticed that "Notify surveillance center" is an independent setting to NVR and Camera. I suspect if you enable "Notify surveillance center" in Camera, you will need to have camera connected to Hik-Connect . I suspect (like myself) you have only NVR connected to Hik-Connect, so the Camera can't notify it (this setting in Camera is not synced with NVR). I think it should be synced when you have Cameras connected directly to NVR's ports.
I am not sure about emails, I am not using them.
I suspect the same works for the schedules for the smart events in Camera, they only apply if you record to SD card. If you set the schedule for the smart event in NVR then it applies to the recording stored on HDD in NVR.

For the intrusion and line crossing, you need to draw a "Min/Max" box to filter out non-humans. But I would also appreciate if there were 3 checkboxess : Everything, Human, Vehicles. so if you uncheck "Everything" it should trigger notification for Human only and nothing else. It would be more intuitive from the user point of view.

You need to list the exact firmware of NVR and Cameras and the Camera models as well, since every firmware fixes something, but breaks something else.

Thank you @dusan_h

I too suspected that its because Camera is not added in Hik-Connect, and I tried that too. Even after adding Camera in Hik-Connect app, the "Notify surveillance center" was not working from Camera

For intrusion and line crossing, there is a check box for "Humans" and "Vehicles" for AcuSense camers and I have selected only "Humans". It's working perfectly fine for the e-mail notifications coming from Camera except that it triggers even if some one passes by near the line, not necessarily cross the line. But events from NVR seems to be disregarding the "human" check box most of the time and get triggered even for non-human objects.

Yes, I am NOT using SD card...All videos are recorded in NVR only.

I also tried a "Min" option, but the problem I see is, distant objects will be very small and nearby objects will be larger. Can't arrive at a proper size that will cover both distant and nearby Humans properly. If I choose a min size that matches a nearby human, then humans at a distances are excluded because they appear smaller in video. If I choose a size that matches distant humans, then non-human objects which are nearby will trigger the alarm.

I am in travel now, will check the exact firmware version and update once I am back.

The newest I-Series NVR firmware is available at the bottom of this product page, so I would update to this (V4.61.025_220905):

It's definitely worth checking that the cameras' firmware is all up to date too :)

"Notify surveillance centre" will only work for whichever device has an internet connection and is added to Hik-Connect, so if your cameras are directly connected to the NVR's PoE ports (and therefore on its own private subnet), then enabling it on them will not do anything.

With regards to event settings, these should all be set on the NVR - changing them at the camera and NVR level can cause problems.
This post explains why in detail:

The only settings that should be changed directly on the cameras are those that are not accessible from the NVR (notably advanced image settings).

Thanks @Kyle

I will check and update the firmware if it's not up to date. I am in a travel, will do it once I am back.

All cameras and NVR are configured with the IP address of WiFi router's network. They all have the IP address from the same subnet as my laptop. So it should have access to internet just like my laptop. I can definitely open the Camera web interface from my laptop. Is there anyway I can check if internet connectivity is there from Camera?

I had tried adding Camera to Hik-Connect, but still the Camera was not able to send notification to surveillance center...May be I missed some thing. Let me try that again after checking the internet connectivity from camera.

Also, what is you experience with line crossing settings? Does it all work accurately? For me, event is triggered if some is anywhere near the line, not necessarily cross it. Also, in one case the event is triggered when the human movement is opposite of the configured direction.

Back