01304 827609 info@use-ip.co.uk Find us

Bi Spectrum camera connected to NVR cannot notify VCA alarm events?

HIKVisionUser

Hi there and thank you for any help.

I have a DS-7600 series NVR (DS-7616NI-I2 / 16P) and some Bi Spectrum cameras (DS-2TD1228-2/QA) + one single-channel camera (DS-2CD2326G2-I).
The network port of the NVR is connected to my router.

The NVR network settings are the following: IP manually defined (not via DHCP) within the range of the home network, gateway is the home router IP address.

The cameras are all connected to the PoE ports of the NVR. On the network settings, every camera has an IP address in the range of the home network, but as gateway they have the IP address of the PoE network adapted of the NVR.

I can configure Smart Events of the single channel camera from the NVR and therefore, for example I can configure a line crossing rule and forward alarm events to email addresses or the Alarm Center from the NVR. All this works as expected.

With regard to the Bi Spectrum cameras, I cannot configure the VCA rules from the NVR UI, but I need to access the web interface located on each camera. From there I can set all the desired rules: area intrusion, line crossing, etc. but if I check the "Send email" or the "notify the alarm center" checkboxes, nothing happens.

In addition, I would like to report that, in such a configuration, setting the email parameters under: Network/Advance settings and trying to test the email sending, results in an error; instead by doing the exact same procedure from the NVR administration interface, the email test works.

So, I assume that my cameras, all connected to the NVR PoE ports have no internet access, either direct, or through the NVR itself. This makes sense from a security standpoint, but I don't understand why I cannot configure the VCA events for the Bi Spectrum cameras on the NVR and keep the suggested connection of cameras to the NVR.

It seems that the only possible way to make the VCA alarm events configuration of the Bi Spectrum cameras work, is to connect them to a PoE switch and then connect the PoE switch to the router. In this case the cameras have the router IP as gateway and since the camera can have Internet connection, the alarm events can be notified via email, etc.

Is that correct and is that the only possible way to make it work?

Regards

The cameras are all connected to the PoE ports of the NVR. On the network settings, every camera has an IP address in the range of the home network, but as gateway they have the IP address of the PoE network adapted of the NVR.
That's not set up right. The NVR has two networks. The network port on the NVR is configured to match your home network, so you have the first bit correct with the address manually assigned in your home network range (if you'll be using Hik-Connect, DNS should be set manually to 8.8.8.8, 8.8.4.4 or some other DNS server and not your router address as that will use your ISP's DNS). However the PoE ports on the NVR use a different network. This is by design so that the cameras are segregated from the rest of your home network. That network uses 192.168.254.xxx by default with the NVR itself being accessible at 192.168.254.1 if you were to plug a laptop into a spare PoE port.

If your cameras are connected to the NVR PoE ports they should all have an address in the 192.168.254.xxx range. They will normally be assigned an address automatically as soon as you plug them in (Plug and Play) and there's no need to set addresses as the NVR configures them. They can be manually assigned but there's a knack to doing that. If you need to have addresses manually assigned, you'd normally program them in manually while they're disconnected from the NVR. For cam 1, 2, 3 use 192.168.254.101, 102, 103 etc. Then you would manually edit each channel in the NVR config to manual, enter those IP addresses above and save. Finally you would plug the cameras back in to their respective ports.

With regard to the Bi Spectrum cameras, I cannot configure the VCA rules from the NVR UI, but I need to access the web interface located on each camera. From there I can set all the desired rules: area intrusion, line crossing, etc. but if I check the "Send email" or the "notify the alarm center" checkboxes, nothing happens.
That's because they have no route. The IP settings don't match the NVR PoE ports and so nothing gets through the NVR to the internet. Once it's setup correctly, virtually all setup is on the NVR only. Only the NVR is configured for Hik-Connect and with e mail settings etc. You've set all your cameras up as if they were standalone and then connected them to the NVR.
It seems that the only possible way to make the VCA alarm events configuration of the Bi Spectrum cameras work, is to connect them to a PoE switch and then connect the PoE switch to the router. In this case the cameras have the router IP as gateway and since the camera can have Internet connection, the alarm events can be notified via email, etc.
When the cameras are connected to a PoE switch and not the NVR PoE ports they need to use addresses in the range of your home network. That's why you're seeing this behaviour.

Thank you for your explanations. Very appreciated!

Following your suggestions, I changed the IP addresses on the cameras and they now have an IP in the range of the NVR: 192.168.254.xxx

In order to do so, I unplugged the cameras from the NVR (I temporarily used a standalone PoE switch connected to my router), set their new IP address using the SADP tool (IP in the range of the NVR network and 192.168.254.1 as gateway) and then plugged them back to the PoE ports of the NVR; after that I had to change the camera settings from the NVR, by changing the Adding Method to manual and redefining all the parameters: IP, channel, password, etc.

The result is that I now have the below situation (the screenshot is partial, but I think it represents the situation):

1691182861994.png

Finally I reviewed all network settings by accessing the cameras admin interface, and the following is the typical settings all cameras now have:

1691184089554.png

The point is that, even after this change, the cameras still do not notify the VCA alarms via email.

From the camera admin interface, if I configure the email settings and do a test, it won't work. The exact same configuration works instead from the NVR.

It seems to me that the cameras are still isolated and cannot reachout to the Internet via the NVR.

That's because they have no route. The IP settings don't match the NVR PoE ports and so nothing gets through the NVR to the internet. Once it's setup correctly, virtually all setup is on the NVR only.
With regard to your hint, I still cannot manage the VCA settings (line crossing, area intrusion) from the NVR, because in the VCA menu of the NVR I only have other settings available (behavior analysis, face capture, etc.). By the way I don't think this is a problem, I have configured the VCA settings directly on the Bi Spectrum cameras and I'm OK with that; but unfortunately it is not possible to notify the related allarms.
Maybe, as you stated, the cameras have no route, but honestly I don't understand how to enable it.

Best regards

From the camera admin interface, if I configure the email settings and do a test, it won't work. The exact same configuration works instead from the NVR.

It seems to me that the cameras are still isolated and cannot reachout to the Internet via the NVR.

Thats the way it's supposed to be!

When the camera is connected to an NVR, either directly via the PoE ports or indirectly via the local network ALL management is done by the NVR. DO NOT set up notifications, alarm actions, Hik-Connect etc in the camera. Set everything up via the NVR. The camera passes VCA events to the NVR, the NVR actions the event using the settings programmed in the NVR.

With regard to your hint, I still cannot manage the VCA settings (line crossing, area intrusion) from the NVR, because in the VCA menu of the NVR I only have other settings available (behavior analysis, face capture, etc.). By the way I don't think this is a problem, I have configured the VCA settings directly on the Bi Spectrum cameras and I'm OK with that; but unfortunately it is not possible to notify the related allarms.
Line Crossing, Intrusion etc are configured under 'Smart Events' in the NVR if you're configuring using a browser. If you're configuring using the local menu on the NVR (via HDMI monitor/TV), Intrusion and Line Crossing are accessed using the fourth icon from the left 'Smart Analysis' then 'Perimeter Protection'.

Line Crossing, Intrusion etc are configured under 'Smart Events' in the NVR if you're configuring using a browser.
This makes total sense to me, but unfortunately I do not have the VCA configuration options from the NVR. That's why I run into this mess.

The attached image: View_For_Single-Channel_Camera is the view I see from the browser interface, when I select the single-channel camera. It corresponds to what you described.

The attached image: View_For_Bi-Spectrum_Camera is the view I see from the browser interface, when I select one of the Bi Spectrum cameras I have. In this case, the VCA configuration for line crossing and intrusion area is totally missing.

Just in order to be sure, I attached a monitor to the NVR, but also from the native interface of the NVR, under: perimeter protection / smart events, the behavior is the same: OK for the single-channel camera, missing for the others.

Thank you for your patience!

Attachments

• View_For_Bi-Spectrum_Camera.jpg
    View_For_Bi-Spectrum_Camera.jpg
    53.3 KB · Views: 91
  • View_For_Single-Channel_Camera.jpg
    View_For_Single-Channel_Camera.jpg
    70.5 KB · Views: 82
This makes total sense to me, but unfortunately I do not have the VCA configuration options from the NVR. That's why I run into this mess.

The attached image: View_For_Single-Channel_Camera is the view I see from the browser interface, when I select the single-channel camera. It corresponds to what you described.

The attached image: View_For_Bi-Spectrum_Camera is the view I see from the browser interface, when I select one of the Bi Spectrum cameras I have. In this case, the VCA configuration for line crossing and intrusion area is totally missing.

Just in order to be sure, I attached a monitor to the NVR, but also from the native interface of the NVR, under: perimeter protection / smart events, the behavior is the same: OK for the single-channel camera, missing for the others.

Thank you for your patience!
I haven't used the Bi Spectrum cameras (or 'Heat Pro' as they're generally called over here). It could be that certain functions cannot be used at the same time. For instance in a standard camera you have to select the VCA resource as 'Monitoring', 'Smart Event' or 'Face Capture' (that's on a standard ColorVu/AcuSense model). Log in to the camera directly with web browser and see if you have anything at:

Configuration > System Settings > VCA Resource where you have to choose an option.

Other than that I'm out of ideas unfortunately. You may have to configure the events in the camera itself, but regardless, if they are connected to the NVR PoE ports you should keep them addressed the way they are (192.168.254.xxx).

Edit: I forgot to ask...what version of firmware is your NVR currently running? The latest version is 4.61.025_build220905. Available options for newer model cameras are sometimes added in the NVR firmware so you should make sure you are running the latest firmware version available for your NVR and for your cameras.

Last edited:
Hi there

The NVR firmware version is: V4.61.025 build 220905
The Bi-Spectrum cameras firware is: V5.5.71 build 230404
I checked the camera settings and there's no option related to VCA.

Regards

Hi there

The NVR firmware version is: V4.61.025 build 220905
The Bi-Spectrum cameras firware is: V5.5.71 build 230404
I checked the camera settings and there's no option related to VCA.

Regards
Ok so all looks to be up to date. I think you might be getting confused with the terminology?

VCA (Video Content Analysis) is often used as a catch all term covering all analytics - motion detection, line crossing, intrusion detection etc. However Hikvision also use the term 'VCA' for their higher end cameras that have more advanced features.

If you're just looking for Line Crossing and Intrusion it can be found on the NVR under Smart Analysis > Perimeter Protection if you use the local menu (on a monitor connected to the NVR HDMI output). It's the 4th icon from the left (magnifying glass with a wave from inside). On the NVR or Camera Web menu they're in Event > Smart Event.

Other than that I'm out of ideas.....

Back