01304 827609 info@use-ip.co.uk Find us

Change Hikvision NVR to other brand NVR with keeping the Hikvision cameras?

Bas

Does anyone have experience connecting Hikvision (colorvu) cameras to a non-Hikvision NVR?

Reason is that I find that Hikvision can no longer provide the basic functionality, continuous recording but also seeing the motion markers in web playback. I want and was always able to do so until software version V3.X.

There has been enough discussion about this, see for example, thread:

Hikvision apparently no longer wants to enable this for performance reasons. The option is still there, they just don't write the markers since V4.x.

Who has experience with another NVR with Hikvision cameras that has similar capabilities to Hikvision NVR but with writing the markers so that you can search/look back on events? I'd love to hear a good model so I can (unfortunately) switch brand.

Realistically you're going to get the best functionality from a Hikvision camera connected to a Hikvision NVR. On some newer Hikvision NVR's - NXI AcuSense models, M series models; the timeline can be filtered for events in the Hik-Connect app. It's certainly possible in the local interface - again the newer AcuSense models, you can just click the Human filter while in normal playback to display the events in the timeline, then a click 'skip normal video' plays back from event to event. Web browser support is never going to get the same features as the local interface or the iVMS-4200 software.

One of those links you've posted boils down to user error/misconfiguration (as many do). In iVMS they appear to be searching for Human detection when the Human filter had already been applied in the Intrusion event settings; the user just needed to search for intrusion events - there would be no non human intrusion events, as none would've been captured by the camera.

As far as I'm aware, all NVRs regardless of firmware should be capable of showing event markers in the local interface or iVMS if they've been configured. I've been installing Hikvision for about 9 years and haven't seen any issues with displaying markers myself across on any model I've fitted (SE, SP, E, K, NXI-K, NXI-I, M models). But as said that's on the local interface and iVMS not web browser (I just see the web browser as a convenient programming tool rather than a means to operate the system)

Yes, IVMS works. I will give it a try!
Thnx JB1970
I spoke too soon.... While the latest update for M series leaves markers working for pre configured events, it has broken VCA search completely...

I spoke too soon.... While the latest update for M series leaves markers working for pre configured events, it has broken VCA search completely...
As a professional, what is your opinion? Do you agree with me that these functionalities are basic in a good camera system?

Certainly if these have been in there you cannot suddenly decide to turn this off.

As a professional, what is your opinion? Do you agree with me that these functionalities are basic in a good camera system?

Certainly if these have been in there you cannot suddenly decide to turn this off.
They haven't turned anything off so far as I'm aware. You've not mentioned your NVR model and firmware, camera model and firmware and what you're trying to do. Event markers show in the local interface automatically when 'Smart' playback is selected but only for events that you've pre configured. If you want to see event markers for anything else, firstly Dual VCA must be enabled in each camera and then in 'Smart' playback, you do the VCA search using 'Draw Line' etc (model dependent - may display as 'Space Rule' on some models) - that will show markers for your search and that retrospective search of video will show everything regardless of AcuSense (it cannot be filtered). Additionally in some newer models and firmware there's a 'Save VCA Data' checkbox that should be enabled in the maintenance menu - otherwise regardless of whether the camera sends the necessary data for the search (Dual VCA Enabled), the NVR will discard it and the search doesn't work.

They haven't turned anything off so far as I'm aware. You've not mentioned your NVR model and firmware, camera model and firmware and what you're trying to do. Event markers show in the local interface automatically when 'Smart' playback is selected but only for events that you've pre configured. If you want to see event markers for anything else, firstly Dual VCA must be enabled in each camera and then in 'Smart' playback, you do the VCA search using 'Draw Line' etc (model dependent - may display as 'Space Rule' on some models) - that will show markers for your search and that retrospective search of video will show everything regardless of AcuSense (it cannot be filtered). Additionally in some newer models and firmware there's a 'Save VCA Data' checkbox that should be enabled in the maintenance menu - otherwise regardless of whether the camera sends the necessary data for the search (Dual VCA Enabled), the NVR will discard it and the search doesn't work.
recoder: DS-7608NI-K2 / 8P, software: V4.72.107 build 220914
camera's: DS-2CD2347G1-LU, software: V5.6.820 build 220519

It's for now only turning off markers (motion, line and intrusion) in the timeline through the browser. These camera's don't support VCA if i'm wright.
IVMS works for me, still is strange they take the option out of the webclient for stability reasons but leave the buttons in the webclient. At least remove the buttons without a function.

Thnx for your support!

recoder: DS-7608NI-K2 / 8P, software: V4.72.107 build 220914
camera's: DS-2CD2347G1-LU, software: V5.6.820 build 220519

It's for now only turning off markers (motion, line and intrusion) in the timeline through the browser. These camera's don't support VCA if i'm wright.
IVMS works for me, still is strange they take the option out of the webclient for stability reasons but leave the buttons in the webclient. At least remove the buttons without a function.

Thnx for your support!
I hadn't realised there was a new release of the G1 software., that went unnoticed to me.

On the local interface with what you have, you can certainly get markers for events and VCA. VCA is supported on those models. As I've said, forget about the web client as it only has basic functionality.

I hadn't realised there was a new release of the G1 software., that went unnoticed to me.

On the local interface with what you have, you can certainly get markers for events and VCA. VCA is supported on those models. As I've said, forget about the web client as it only has basic functionality.
I had a quick look in IVMS-4200 and I see the markers when I use the search function in the playback. I also see the line crossing and intrusion (on the preset areas/lines.). These are the preset VCA motions.

I cannot search for VCA in IVMS-4200, in other words right-click and then select VCA motion and mask. It then gives no results. Should that also work?

I had a quick look in IVMS-4200 and I see the markers when I use the search function in the playback. I also see the line crossing and intrusion (on the preset areas/lines.). These are the preset VCA motions.

I cannot search for VCA in IVMS-4200, in other words right-click and then select VCA motion and mask. It then gives no results. Should that also work?
Do you have "dual vca" enabled on all of your cameras?

Yes,

Can still not search on VCA in iVMS-4200
Works for me on Line Crossing and Intrusion (but not on motion for some reason). Right Click (or click the light bulb in the lower right) > Enable Line Crossing > Click and drag a line. It automatically performs the search and the results appear on the right. The only issue for me is that once I've clicked and dragged a line/drawn an intrusion box, it vanishes as the search results come up so I can't see it/adjust it. However that could just be down to my setup. I'm running Windows 11 ARM in a Parallels VM on my MacBook so sometimes things don't display correctly.

All 3 options give "no intelligent record files."

Did i not activate something?
Device management -> Basic setting -> Video/Adio -> Disply info. on stream -> "Enble Dual-VCA" is checked

All 3 options give "no intelligent record files."

Did i not activate something?
Device management -> Basic setting -> Video/Adio -> Disply info. on stream -> "Enble Dual-VCA" is checked
Additionally in some newer models and firmware there's a 'Save VCA Data' checkbox that should be enabled in the maintenance menu - otherwise regardless of whether the camera sends the necessary data for the search (Dual VCA Enabled), the NVR will discard it and the search doesn't work.
In the local menu on the monitor - the above could either be in Storage > Advanced or somewhere in Maintenance in the settings.

Yes, found it.
I had only connected a monitor on installation and in the years since, only accessed via web or ivms.

The option was indeed deep in advanced somewhere via local screen. I have activated it and will see if it works.

Thanks for your help!

Yes, found it.
I had only connected a monitor on installation and in the years since, only accessed via web or ivms.

The option was indeed deep in advanced somewhere via local screen. I have activated it and will see if it works.

Thanks for your help!
I think what's happening is that the option is being introduced to different models in firmware updates, but the default is off so it stops working after the firmware update until you find the option and enable it.

Back