01304 827609 info@use-ip.co.uk Find us

DS-2CD6365G0-IVS 6MP Fisheye - with and without V - what's V?

cymruchris

Gives a lot of help
Trusted Member
I'm running a little bit of a project for an owl cam or three - and have posted previously about how I got the wireless bridge up and running over to an old bell tower. Now I have another challenge - I have received a donation of two DS-2CD6365G0-IVS fisheye cameras - and intend to use one at the top of the bell tower to give an unusual perspective which will also happen to cover all the angles wherever the owl decides to fly. I've been given two units - one appears to be 'with V' and one appears to be 'without V' - but I can't seem to fathom out (through the usual google searches) what V is. Would anyone be kind enough to let me know the difference between them? I can see the with V model has no silver plastic surround to the lens - but the without V model has a silver plastic surround - but that's as much as I can work out at the moment. Any experts happen to know? (I've plugged them both into the NVR and they both seem to show the same image).

Screenshot 2021-10-20 225043.jpg

Hi @cymruchris

The 'V' in the -IVS model number denotes that the model is vandal-resistant and rated for outdoor use.

See this updated datasheet which states the protection level in the final general section of the specs list.

If the cameras are going to be used outdoors then we would only recommend using the -IVS model.

Hi @cymruchris

The 'V' in the -IVS model number denotes that the model is vandal-resistant and rated for outdoor use.

See this updated datasheet which states the protection level in the final general section of the specs list.

If the cameras are going to be used outdoors then we would only recommend using the -IVS model.
That's the only thing I was thinking it could be - but really appreciate the confirmation - seems that the addition of the silver plastic ring appears the only visual difference. That means I'll use the non vandal on the inside of the church tower - and keep the vandal for another use. It's amazing what donations you get from people when you're working on community projects - I wouldn't have expected to have received two fisheye cameras! (Someone must have bought them for a purpose and then didn't like them - but that's good for me - as to see the owls fly anywhere in the tower on a fisheye feed might be very interesting indeed.) I'll come back and update with an RTSP feed when it's up and running. Thanks for the reply!

Hi @cymruchris

Yes, fisheye cameras are a common 'mistake' purchase. Users installing home security systems often purchase them because they think "I need to cover this wide garden so why not use an ultra-wide fisheye", but the issue they soon find is that the ultra-wide FoV stretches the camera's resolution and this leaves you very little usable detail over large distances.

Fisheyes are more suitable in scenarios like yours where you are less worried about the small detail are more just wanting overall coverage of movement/activity in a large space.

We would love to see your RTSP feed once you've got it set up.

Hi @cymruchris

We would love to see your RTSP feed once you've got it set up.
I will be back to share it once it’s up and running

I’ve had a closer look at both cameras this evening and they appear to have the same model number but have a physical difference. Looking at the hikvision original pictures - the with V model appears not to have the silver piece around the lens - and the without V model has the silver piece.

Looking at my cameras - it seems like I have one with V and one without V but the model details appear the same.

These are my actual cameras - what I’m guessing is the without V:

C942599A-29D2-447E-B2DA-0DFD10FD7625.jpeg
C2509AB0-34BC-4213-9995-42C88ECED37B.jpeg

669E851B-E747-4BA8-9282-EFA42B18957F.jpeg
817CEF84-10F7-4608-A37F-42DEBD63876E.jpeg

This one appears to not have the silver bit so is the ‘With V’ ? Or is it a case of missing a silver bit and is a 'Without V'?

(Both of these cameras when running seem to emit a high pitched noise that’s definitely audible - is that normal?)

Last edited:
Hi @cymruchris

It looks like both models are the without -V indoor models, but whoever had them previously has removed the silver ring from one of the cameras. It does look similar to a -IVS model but those models actually have a weather-proof/vandal-resistant dome over the lens which your -IS model does not have and would not support.

If you are mounting the cameras indoors and the conditions are dry you should still be okay to use the -IS model without the silver ring.

Thanks for your expert guidance - I'll use the one with the missing ring inside the bell-tower - as nobody will be going up there to look at it, and it'll be in the dry anyway. Once it's up - and I've got it streaming - I'll pop back with a link :)

I've now got the Fisheye streaming - along with 3 other camera feeds in total. If you want to spot an owl - you'll either have to be up early - at around 4-6am GMT or around 6.30-7.30pm GMT which for most people would be the best time. He tends to land on the bell first - hence the slightly upward position of the camera - and it's a PTZ that should zoom in on him should he land in that spot (still testing and trying settings - so may adjust further yet)

Here are the four links:

The fisheye camera:

| powered by RTSP.ME

The bell camera:

| powered by RTSP.ME

The owlbox interior camera:

| powered by RTSP.ME

The upper tower camera:

| powered by RTSP.ME

Back