01304 827609 info@use-ip.co.uk Find us

Hikvision 2142 Config Frustration

Mikeycctv

I'm using a DS-2CD2142FWD-IS dome camera and it seems like a great product but I'm having one strange and frustrating problem.

I've got the camera working on my network using PoE and talking to my D-Link NAS via FTP. I've also got email notifications working. I've configured motion detection, intrusion detection and line crossing functions working and I receive emails when they trigger.

BUT, my frustration is that the camera will ONLY send pictures to the NAS at night, or more correctly when the camera is operating in IR mode. During daylight operation, the camera still detects motion/intrusions and sends email notification but it doesn't send pictures to the NAS.

I've tried adjusting the sensitivity controls to maximum, which makes a difference because I then get almost constant emails, but still no pictures during daylight operation. I've double and triple checked the NAS is not powering down during the day. I've rebooted the camera and the NAS but it still won't send pictures during daylight, only when operating under IR at night.

The camera runs all day and correctly sends emails but not pictures, but as soon as it switches over to IR operation it starts sending pictures along with the emails. This is making no sense to me but if I can't solve it then the camera will have to go back as it's no use detecting things without having pictures!

Any ideas out there?

There was an issue with the 4MP cameras in which the camera would not be able to upload a capture if it was larger than a certain filesize. This was often exceeded during the day, when the scene is more complex, compared to night when the scene is much more basic.

It sounds like what you may be experiencing.

I'd recommend you update to the latest firmware for your DS-2CD2142FWD-I which is part of Hikvision's R6 series of 4MP cameras.

Thanks for that suggestion, it sounds just like the sort of thing that could explain the problem I'm having.

However, my camera is running V5.4.3 build 160902 firmware and as far as I can tell this is the latest version. I've checked the Hikvision update pages here and this seems to be the last release. I saw a link to the Hikvision european support site but the link is broken. The Hikvision.com website is very confusing and I can't find my camera model number listed there at all or any reference to an "R6 series".

Do you know if there is a later version of firmware than my V5.4.3?

Quick update - I think the file size thing might be the problem I'm having. I've just tried lowering the resolution to the lowest 1280x720P resolution and the camera saved pictures ok. I then tried the mid-resolution 1920x1080P and it also works fine. The saved pictures are around 605KB.

I've not fitted an SD memory card inside the camera, is this likely to make any difference (I'm thinking it might help with buffering etc) or does that have nothing to do with the FTP process?

Just a quick update. I've been running the updated software as suggested for a couple of weeks now and everything seems to be working fine. Most importantly I can now set the camera resolution to maximum AND save event-triggered pictures during the day, which was the thing not working before. Thanks again for the pointer to the latest software and for solving my frustration!

Back