01304 827609 info@use-ip.co.uk Find us

hikvision DS-2CD3387G2-LSU - Motion blur at night, any tips please?

Marlon CCTV

Hi, new to the forum.

I have recently purchased hikvision DS-2CD3387G2-LSU 4k 8mp camera colourvu. Paired with nvr united DS-7604NI-K1.

I've played around with the settings at night but still keep getting motion blur when people walk by the zones I've set.

Does anyone else have the same camera and know how to tweak with the settings? Any other tips?

Thanks !

Hi, new to the forum.

I have recently purchased hikvision DS-2CD3387G2-LSU 4k 8mp camera colourvu. Paired with nvr united DS-7604NI-K1.

I've played around with the settings at night but still keep getting motion blur when people walk by the zones I've set.

Does anyone else have the same camera and know how to tweak with the settings? Any other tips?

Thanks !
Motion blur is primarily caused by the exposure time. The default is a 1/12 second. It’s a maximum and during daylight the camera will never use that as there’s sufficient light. Try halving it to 1/25 second or again to 1/50 sec to reduce blur. Be aware that each time you halve the exposure time, you halve the available light to the sensor so the exposure will be darker and noise in the image will increase. Using WDR also causes motion blur.

Motion blur is primarily caused by the exposure time. The default is a 1/12 second. It’s a maximum and during daylight the camera will never use that as there’s sufficient light. Try halving it to 1/25 second or again to 1/50 sec to reduce blur. Be aware that each time you halve the exposure time, you halve the available light to the sensor so the exposure will be darker and noise in the image will increase. Using WDR also causes motion blur.
Thanks for this. My WDR is on and set to 50. My exposure time is 1/25 as this is the minimum for the WDR to be turned on.

I'll have a play around with the two settings to see if switching WDR off does anything.

Thanks for this. My WDR is on and set to 50. My exposure time is 1/25 as this is the minimum for the WDR to be turned on.

I'll have a play around with the two settings to see if switching WDR off does anything.
Turn off WDR and set exposure time to 1/50. Your long(ish) exposure time combined with high WDR is causing the motion blur

WDR has to be double the reciprocal of the exposure time as you've found. That's because it takes one over exposed and one under exposed frame then combines them. The under exposure prevents highlights being clipped (pure white) and the over exposure prevents shadows being clipped (pure black). It's two frames combined into one so the difference in timing between the two can cause an apparent blur or ghost image.

Although these cameras work in low light I think we (I'm not including myself in that 'we'!) expect too much of them. People aren't happy unless it looks like broad daylight at midnight and we can see full colour detail in shadow areas that our own eyes can't resolve.

Turn off WDR and set exposure time to 1/50. Your long(ish) exposure time combined with high WDR is causing the motion blur

WDR has to be double the reciprocal of the exposure time as you've found. That's because it takes one over exposed and one under exposed frame then combines them. The under exposure prevents highlights being clipped (pure white) and the over exposure prevents shadows being clipped (pure black). It's two frames combined into one so the difference in timing between the two can cause an apparent blur or ghost image.

Although these cameras work in low light I think we (I'm not including myself in that 'we'!) expect too much of them. People aren't happy unless it looks like broad daylight at midnight and we can see full colour detail in shadow areas that our own eyes can't resolve.
Thanks for this. Really helpful.

I had a play around with the settings but turning WDR off and upping exposure time to 1/50 makes the picture quality really bad and grainy. Doesn't really reduce the motion blur either. Could there be anything else which might cause it?

Also worth nothing that at the bottom of the image there is a thin line going all the way across the view which is fuzzy. Similar to when you tune a tv and get that grey static background. If I set the exposure time to 1/25 and WDR to 50 it goes away

Thanks for this. Really helpful.

I had a play around with the settings but turning WDR off and upping exposure time to 1/50 makes the picture quality really bad and grainy. Doesn't really reduce the motion blur either. Could there be anything else which might cause it?

Also worth nothing that at the bottom of the image there is a thin line going all the way across the view which is fuzzy. Similar to when you tune a tv and get that grey static background. If I set the exposure time to 1/25 and WDR to 50 it goes away
It sounds as though you don't have enough light. Make sure you have the camera set to 'Auto' rather than forced into 'Day' as 'Day' will prevent the supplement light activating. Make sure you have the supplement light set to Auto so it can come on if needed. Finally double check that noise reduction is set to the default of 50 (I've had a few jobs recently where DNR has mysteriously reduced itself down to 1 on it's own causing the image to be unusable during darkness)

I'm not sure about the line you describe. You can sometimes get a bar that scrolls vertically through the image caused by other lighting sources.

Last edited:
You should probably post your video parameters as well. If the bit rate isn't suitable for the number of frames per second, quality and compression that you've set, you'll see a badly degraded image with I Frame refresh (depending on the I Frame interval set)

Back