01304 827609 info@use-ip.co.uk Find us

Hikvision DS7608-NXI-I2/8P/4S : Only 5 of 8 ports working

deepskydiver

Hi everyone,

We moved into a house with this system. After a visit by an electrician who installed some new cables (theoretically not involved with the Hikvision system) I found it wasn't online. I connected some cables but I can't get all cameras online at the same time.

Here's what I see:
* 7 cameras
* only 5 ports can be used on the box itself. All cameras work in other ports but not these three. (The port indicator lights indicate a problem)
* a hikvision switch is being used which was presumably installed because these three ports on the main unit didn't work. But it doesn't seem to be functioning as a switch. Only one device of those connected ever works. (The network port lights flash regularly again indicating a problem).

Has the switch randomly stopped working? Are the 3 ports on the main box in some way not configured or faulty?

Grateful for people with experience!

Thank you!

Hi everyone,

We moved into a house with this system. After a visit by an electrician who installed some new cables (theoretically not involved with the Hikvision system) I found it wasn't online. I connected some cables but I can't get all cameras online at the same time.

Here's what I see:
* 7 cameras
* only 5 ports can be used on the box itself. All cameras work in other ports but not these three. (The port indicator lights indicate a problem)
* a hikvision switch is being used which was presumably installed because these three ports on the main unit didn't work. But it doesn't seem to be functioning as a switch. Only one device of those connected ever works. (The network port lights flash regularly again indicating a problem).

Has the switch randomly stopped working? Are the 3 ports on the main box in some way not configured or faulty?

Grateful for people with experience!

Thank you!
what are the camera model numbers?
What NVR port does the Hik switch connect to?
Any chance of posting a photo of a hand drawing showing how the NVR / Switch / cameras are connected?

Thanks for your help!

I can't get to the cameras easily so I've attached a photo.
(Edit. I think it's this: DS-2CE72DF0T-F)

How the solution at the box end should be cabled is part of my question I guess. Because I'm thinking the cables might have been moved around when the electrician changed things. Here's 3 options I've tried below and the outcome. Assuming the ports on the back of the Hikvision Box are labelled 1234 on the top row and 5678 on the bottom. Ports 5,6 and 7 do not work with any cameras. But all cameras work with the other ports.

* With no switch, cameras into ports 1,2,3,4 and 8. Cable from router into Hikvision LAN port. 5 cameras work. If I plug into the other ports the cameras don't appear and the indicator lights on the port show no traffic.
* Cable from router into Hikvision switch. From the switch one cable to to the LAN port on the Hikvision Box and another to port 8 on the Hikvision box. Result is only 4 cameras.
* Cable from router into Hikvision LAN port. Cable from port 8 of the Hikvision box into the switch. Remaining 3 cameras cabled into the switch. Result is only 4 cameras.

Cameras.png

Last edited:
This is one of those instances where you would be best to get a local CCTV installer to come in and sort this out for you. There are too many possibilities regarding setup that will make it unlikely that you'll easily resolve it.
  • Some of the ports on the NVR may have been had the PoE disabled.
  • Some/none/all of the camera channels in the NVR may have been edited to manual connection
  • Some/none/all of the camera channels in the NVR may have been left Plug and Play
  • Depending on the above - some/none/all of the cameras may have been manually addressed
With the above in mind you may struggle to get it up and running yourself. When you move cameras from port to port on the NVR - the cameras IP addresses will be re assigned if the channel is set to Plug and Play.

This is one of those instances where you would be best to get a local CCTV installer to come in and sort this out for you. There are too many possibilities regarding setup that will make it unlikely that you'll easily resolve it.
  • Some of the ports on the NVR may have been had the PoE disabled.
  • Some/none/all of the camera channels in the NVR may have been edited to manual connection
  • Some/none/all of the camera channels in the NVR may have been left Plug and Play
  • Depending on the above - some/none/all of the cameras may have been manually addressed
With the above in mind you may struggle to get it up and running yourself. When you move cameras from port to port on the NVR - the cameras IP addresses will be re assigned if the channel is set to Plug and Play.
Agreed. Fingers crossed it will work out, I've helped a few local people with their inherited cctv systems. Where possible I was going to use the forum how to guides.

Agreed. Fingers crossed it will work out, I've helped a few local people with their inherited cctv systems. Where possible I was going to use the forum how to guides.
Yeah, where switches are involved there can be issues swapping things about...

If you manually configure a camera with an IP address using the NVRs 192.168.254.xxx range (in order to connect it directly or via switch to a manually configured NVR PoE port), then subsequently connect that cable to a channel on the NVR set as Plug and Play, the NVR can still reprogram the IP address previously set in the camera, even though you've set it manually. This would result in addresses in cameras not matching those in the NVR camera config page even when reconnected as originally installed. This has caught me out once or twice.

Without complete details for an installation like that, personally I'd:
  • first identify the IP addresses of every camera (I use IP Scanner Pro as opposed to SADP)
  • disconnect all of the cameras from the NVR and switch
  • connect to each in turn with an PoE injector/PoE enabled switch and reprogram the IP address to a 192.168.254.xxx address that's relevant to the intended channel number (for me usually 100 plus camera number - cam 3 192.168.254.103 for example)
  • Edit all channels in the NVR camera config page to Manual and enter the IP addresses set in the previous step
  • Reconnect all cameras to the NVR and the switch to one of the spare PoE ports
  • Most importantly - note all IP addresses in use and mark all cables

If you manually configure a camera with an IP address using the NVRs 192.168.254.xxx range (in order to connect it directly or via switch to a manually configured NVR PoE port), then subsequently connect that cable to a channel on the NVR set as Plug and Play, the NVR can still reprogram the IP address previously set in the camera, even though you've set it manually. This would result in addresses in cameras not matching those in the NVR camera config page even when reconnected as originally installed. This has caught me out once or twice.

• first identify the IP addresses of every camera (I use IP Scanner Pro as opposed to SADP)
  • connect to each in turn with an PoE injector/PoE enabled switch and reprogram the IP address to a 192.168.254.xxx address that's relevant to the intended channel number (for me usually 100 plus camera number - cam 3 192.168.254.103 for example)
  • Edit all channels in the NVR camera config page to Manual and enter the IP addresses set in the previous step
Thanks, I can try that. I have a new switch arriving shortly which I'll try first though to eliminate that variable.
But if it were that - would it be consistent with each camera working when I plug it into port 8 or any port other than ports 5-7?

I am going to use a very similar strategy, that's why the switch uplink (if there) is going to NVR port8.

re your comment on plug'n'play / manual its probably best to set all as manual.

Thanks, I can try that. I have a new switch arriving shortly which I'll try first though to eliminate that variable.
But if it were that - would it be consistent with each camera working when I plug it into port 8 or any port other than ports 5-7?
It's not really possible to confirm either way as it depends on configuration. You can easily check how channels 1 - 8 are configured on the NVR itself just by going into the Camera menu on the monitor:
  • Camera > PoE Settings > PoE Bonding Configuration will show with a tick each channel that has its PoE port enabled.
  • Camera > IP Camera. Click on list view in the top right corner of the screen. Clicking Edit to the right of the IP address for each channel will display a pop up that shows whether the channel is Plug and Play (IP will be greyed out) or Manual (IP will be editable)
The above will show how the system was originally configured and may provide clues.

When the new switch arrives let us know. connect it as per the picture I posted earlier.
Mark all the camera cables so you know which is which. Leave space on the label for the NVR port number or switch port number it will connect to. Document the connections in a spreadsheet table.

How do you configure the NVR, browser or NVR monitor / mouse?

It's not really possible to confirm either way as it depends on configuration. You can easily check how channels 1 - 8 are configured on the NVR itself just by going into the Camera menu on the monitor:
  • Camera > PoE Settings > PoE Bonding Configuration will show with a tick each channel that has its PoE port enabled.
  • Camera > IP Camera. Click on list view in the top right corner of the screen. Clicking Edit to the right of the IP address for each channel will display a pop up that shows whether the channel is Plug and Play (IP will be greyed out) or Manual (IP will be editable)
The above will show how the system was originally configured and may provide clues.
so its very similar to my 7608 and 7604, just need to setup a baseline to start from.

When the new switch arrives let us know. connect it as per the picture I posted earlier.
Mark all the camera cables so you know which is which. Leave space on the label for the NVR port number or switch port number it will connect to. Document the connections in a spreadsheet table.

I use the NVR directly, sometimes the Windows app. I've just posted a question on how to reset the account because I just realised that I don't have the password despite having admin access on the Windows and Android App.

I use the NVR directly, sometimes the Windows app. I've just posted a question on how to reset the account because I just realised that I don't have the password despite having admin access on the Windows and Android App.
While your waiting for the passwords the cameras can be connected directly to the new switch. Did you download the SADP tool?

OK, new switch same result when setup the way you prescribed unfortunately..

Yes I have it - not sure how it helps (I don't have the admin password...)
we'll be able to see what the ip addresses and model / firmware numbers are.

If you can connect all the cameras and NVR (LAN port) to the switch. Connect the switch uplink port to your router.

Run SADP and take a screenshot of the display. Edit the screenshot to black out all the serial numbers (they can be used to gain remote access) and save as a JPG file. I'm happy to give you my email address if you want to send it direct, let me know.

Send the LAN IP address and subnet mask of your router as well.

we'll be able to see what the ip addresses and model / firmware numbers are.

If you can connect all the cameras and NVR (LAN port) to the switch. Connect the switch uplink port to your router.

Run SADP and take a screenshot of the display. Edit the screenshot to black out all the serial numbers (they can be used to gain remote access) and save as a JPG file. I'm happy to give you my email address if you want to send it direct, let me know.

Send the LAN IP address and subnet mask of your router as well.

OK, here's the NVR and the three additional cameras. The LAN is 192.168.1.XXX the subnet mask is 255.255.255.0.

1625645012488.png

Back