01304 827609 info@use-ip.co.uk Find us

MacOS Hikvision NVR Browser Support on MacOS?

Thor

Is Apple not supported, simple as that, or am I missing something?

When I navigate to the NVR's browser page, I can see there is the option to download the plugin, however, it is a .exe file which is windows.

CleanShot 2022-05-30 at 4.14.51@2x.jpg

I have tried iVMS 4200, unfortunately, that app is horrible. Also does not seem to be fully supported on macOS, even on a windows machine, the app is... questionable.

I specifically want access to this in order to configure the acusense stuff on the cameras ( VCA events ), remotely.

Hi @Thor

Can you please clarify the browser that you're using (looks like Chrome?), and also the NVR and firmware installed on it?

Hi @Thor

Can you please clarify the browser that you're using (looks like Chrome?), and also the NVR and firmware installed on it?

Safari, Chrome, Firefox, all the same on MacOS.

NVR:

Model
DS-7732NXI-I4 / S
Firmware Version
V4.51.200 build 211026
Encoding Version
V5.0 build 211019

Thanks - is browser compatibility any better on V4.61.000_build220507?

How-to: - Part 8: How do I upgrade the firmware on my Hikvision device?

Any luck with this browser plugin too?

Mmm, my NVR says V4.51.200 build 211026 is the latest firmware, so unless there is a bug in the Hikvision system?

CleanShot 2022-05-30 at 5.06.47@2x.jpg

I tried that plugin, does not work, unfortunately.

It isn't, the version I linked is definitely latest - that "Check Upgrade" button has unfortunately never worked properly.

You need to manually load the firmware file on via the "Upgrade & Maintenance" menu, see the guide linked in my last post for the full instructions.

It isn't, the version I linked is definitely latest - that "Check Upgrade" button has unfortunately never worked properly.

You need to manually load the firmware file on via the "Upgrade & Maintenance" menu, see the guide linked in my last post for the full instructions.
Understood, I will do so. (It seems Hikvision is a bit Chinese'sy in terms of bugs ) - I come from Uniview & Unifi background

It definitely has its bugs...

Thanks for confirming that the plugin doesn't work.

I'm not holding out too much hope for the firmware update, to be honest - I think browser access for the NVRs has been broken again for Macs.
(There was a time when it was OK, and you can still access cameras directly properly in a browser).

But let me know if you have any luck...

Will do, I am downloading the NVR the firmware now, will install and then confirm.

I think I probably then need to upgrade the camera firmware too, I have the following cameras:

3 x DS-2CD2347G1-L

3 x DS-2CD2347G2-L

3 x DS-2CD2121G0-I

It's a real headache that you cannot deploy updates to the cameras via the NVR.

Browser access no longer works.

Fun.

Just a blank screen now

CleanShot 2022-05-30 at 5.49.01@2x.jpg

Managed to get in on Safari, the playback / video / vca still doesn't work but I see a new option now to upgrade cameras from the NVR !

Although... it says they are all up to date, but I think Hikvision is lying, so the feature is essentially useless?

CleanShot 2022-05-30 at 5.56.04@2x.jpg

Yes, you're right - you need to log into each camera directly to upgrade them.

You will need to enable the virtual host feature if they're connected to the NVR's PoE ports:
How-to: - How do I use a Hikvision NVR's "Virtual Host" feature?

I think the only way to get browser access working somewhat is to use IE Tab in Chrome.
Or, iVMS-4200, which is the simplest solution for macOS - albeit being clunky, as you say.

Otherwise, others in this forum are fans of SecuritySpy.

Will check it out, struggling to get into the browser now, you sure that firmware was made for this NVR?

I'm sure - V4.51.200, which you previously had installed, is in the same firmware folder, and the release notes in that folder list your NVR.

There have been some issues with the latest V4.61 firmware (for regular I-Series NVRs), so I wonder if this is linked.
Try installing this earlier version in Safari if it still works, or iVMS-4200 - V4.60.105 build220118

Apologies, I meant to send you these links to the correct firmware for your cameras too:

3 x DS-2CD2347G1-L - V5.6.6_210625

3 x DS-2CD2347G2-L - 5.5.801_211105 (G3 versions) or V5.7.3_220216 for G5 / (C) models- your camera's model will be indicated in the "firmware version build" on the "basic information" page.

1653985861838.png

3 x DS-2CD2121G0-I - V5.5.800_210628

Last edited:
Thank you for that reply.

I think it might have been a combination of old cookies and browser data because it works kn Mozilla now, as in I can access the NVR.

The camera feed / live view / vca screen doesn't work still, but it's Okey, I know apple browser support is a long shot.

Question

If I set the Max Bit rate for the substream in the NVR, will that stick?
Somehow every now and again, the live view on the Monitor gets fussy and then I notice the Max Bit Rate went back to 32 instead of 512 that I saved it to.

Can it be the cameras reset it? ( Ignoring the NVRs setting? )

CleanShot 2022-05-31 at 12.09.50@2x.jpg

Yes, you should only change those video settings at the NVR level.
If you change them on the cameras (when logged in to them directly), the NVR settings will return to the default.

So, change it on the NVR, leave those settings alone on the cameras, and it should stick.

Very odd, because that is how I understand it and exactly what I did ( I never actually logged into any camera yet ), so something is overriding those settings for whatever reason, it happened on V4.51.200 as well, kind of was my motivation to upgrade the firmware, I know live playback on Apple will be a long shot, but I figured maybe it solves this issue.

Back to the drawing board for me. Unsure if the installer's Hik Pro Connect, could maybe interfere, they won't deliberately change it back, I am more thinking maybe that app has some persistent setting that overrides the NVR periodically?

That is strange...

It may well be to do with Pro-Connect. We don't have much experience with it at all, but I would have thought that it would only change these settings with manual intervention from your installer.

It may also just be linked to the poor macOS browser compatibility - have you tried changing it on the NVR's local GUI or in iVMS-4200?

Lol, I went and installed the previous firmware now the version before .61, so the 4.60 one

Did not realize a firmware update will practically reset the thing, so I'm on site now setting it up again.

Eish. So we learn.

Back