01304 827609 info@use-ip.co.uk Find us

Hik-Connect No events on playback?

oil

We had our Hikvision 8MP ColorVu cameras set up a few days ago and it's brilliant however I was hoping to get some advice for a few things.

When I go on playback in the Hik-Connect app, the timeline is all coloured in blue so I don't know which part there was motion at. I know that for some people there will be colours inside that blue timeline to show that there was human/car detection at the time. I can see the human/car detection on the playback mode on my NVR, but just not on my phone. I think I read something about an 'events' section within the playback mode but I cannot see this in my app.

Also, can I ask which colour/light settings would be ideal to try experimenting with as I've noticed that the camera can pick up plate numbers from far on parked cars but if a car is parked up with its headlights on, then the headlights dazzle the camera and shine very bright so we cannot see any of the plate number. I appreciate it's not an ANPR so it's not designed for this but I thought it would be ideal if I could reduce the effects from the cars headlights.

We had our Hikvision 8MP ColorVu cameras set up a few days ago and it's brilliant however I was hoping to get some advice for a few things.

When I go on playback in the Hik-Connect app, the timeline is all coloured in blue so I don't know which part there was motion at. I know that for some people there will be colours inside that blue timeline to show that there was human/car detection at the time. I can see the human/car detection on the playback mode on my NVR, but just not on my phone. I think I read something about an 'events' section within the playback mode but I cannot see this in my app.

Also, can I ask which colour/light settings would be ideal to try experimenting with as I've noticed that the camera can pick up plate numbers from far on parked cars but if a car is parked up with its headlights on, then the headlights dazzle the camera and shine very bright so we cannot see any of the plate number. I appreciate it's not an ANPR so it's not designed for this but I thought it would be ideal if I could reduce the effects from the cars headlights.
In order to get the events showing in the app, your system needs to be linked to the Hik-Connect service and you also need to be logged in to the app. Push notifications and event clips are only available when you’re connected that way. It sounds as though your app is connected to your system directly using IP/Domain address with the system’s username and password.

Reactions: Dan
Thanks for coming back to me on this! Can I ask how to do that? Originally, I scanned the QR code which was on my TV screen which is connected to the NVR.

Thanks for coming back to me on this! Can I ask how to do that? Originally, I scanned the QR code which was on my TV screen which is connected to the NVR.
Ok. It sounds as though you may already be set up correctly then. In the menu on your TV click the cog then look in Network > Advanced > Platform Access. If it’s Enabled, Registration Status should be ‘Online’ and Account Status ‘Linked’. If so it should be working correctly.

It won’t however appear the same as it does on screen, in that you won’t see those markers in the blue line. In the notifications tab at the bottom of the Home Screen you should get clips for all of your events. Also if you select a camera you should see the events listed below it. For the events to appear they need to have the ‘Notify Surveillance Center’ option ticked for each event (in the event settings ‘Linkage Action’ tab.

Thank you the 'Notify surveillance center' part fixed it! I will try to find some more setup guides which will hopefully address those basic queries.

For the night ColorVu part, is there anything you could recommend to stop the headlights from dazzling the camera so much? I've noticed the streetlights in the distance dazzle the camera a lot too so there may be something I could do to reduce this overall and it may help to see the cars better.

Thank you the 'Notify surveillance center' part fixed it! I will try to find some more setup guides which will hopefully address those basic queries.

For the night ColorVu part, is there anything you could recommend to stop the headlights from dazzling the camera so much? I've noticed the streetlights in the distance dazzle the camera a lot too so there may be something I could do to reduce this overall and it may help to see the cars better.
You might struggle with headlights. The ColorVu cameras perform so well in low light due to their large F1.0 aperture. One effect of that large aperture and increased sensitivity is what you're seeing.

Reactions: oil
I see what you mean, that makes sense. I switched the WDR on which has helped to a certain extent. It required me to switch the exposure from 1/12 to 1/25 too which was fine. However, I tried to switch it further to 1/50 but it gives me an error code along the lines of 'setting failed error code 0xffffff'

Do you know how to solve this? The reason I wanted to switch it to 1/50 is because I read it will help with some of the motion blur to capture details in the moments we need it such as faces.

Apologies for these questions, I will try to search online to see if my queries have usually already been solved. But I do appreciate your help with this!

I see what you mean, that makes sense. I switched the WDR on which has helped to a certain extent. It required me to switch the exposure from 1/12 to 1/25 too which was fine. However, I tried to switch it further to 1/50 but it gives me an error code along the lines of 'setting failed error code 0xffffff'

Do you know how to solve this? The reason I wanted to switch it to 1/50 is because I read it will help with some of the motion blur to capture details in the moments we need it such as faces.

Apologies for these questions, I will try to search online to see if my queries have usually already been solved. But I do appreciate your help with this!
Yes WDR might have helped a little but I would doubt it would make a significant difference where headlights are concerned. I usually try to avoid WDR and any additional processing if I can.

There should be no issue changing the exposure to 1/50sec. They come set to 1/12sec by default but as you've found, that is too slow to avoid motion blur. I have mine at 1/100sec but need some light for that. If you're making the change to exposure using a web browser, try clearing your history before attempting the change again - I've never seen that error.

I was making the changes on my NVR when I got that error but I noticed later that even though it gave that error, the settings still got changed as it showed the same configuration when I went back on it later.

I tried doing the changes on my browser now and it successfully changes them however when I check on my NVR, the setting haven't been changed. For example, I might turn off WDR on the browser but it's still on in the NVR when I check after. Although, I do think the settings from the browser have been applied to the camera since I can see a difference, it just doesn't display it on the NVR for some reason.

I was making the changes on my NVR when I got that error but I noticed later that even though it gave that error, the settings still got changed as it showed the same configuration when I went back on it later.

I tried doing the changes on my browser now and it successfully changes them however when I check on my NVR, the setting haven't been changed. For example, I might turn off WDR on the browser but it's still on in the NVR when I check after. Although, I do think the settings from the browser have been applied to the camera since I can see a difference, it just doesn't display it on the NVR for some reason.
That's normal when changing those settings in the browser while connected to the camera. The setting is changed correctly but the NVR display of the setting isn't updated. If the NVR is rebooted, when the camera reconnects the NVR will read the settings in the camera and then the NVR page will reflect the actual setting.

That's why I always recommend that if you're using a browser, to make any changes to the cameras on the NVR settings web page, not directly on the camera settings web page. That way applying the setting to the camera via the NVR ensures that the displayed settings in the NVR are in sync with what is applied on the camera. Of course there are a few settings that may not be available/adjustable from the NVR settings webpage. There have been previous posts on here where users have changed settings on the NVR, then the camera and wondering why things aren't displayed correctly.

I apologise for hijacking this thread but I'm at my wits end with my super-duper new DS-7608NI-M2 / 8P DVR and DS-2CD2386G2-ISU/SL cameras. No matter what I try, setting up just basic event motion detection in the camera or the DVR, I am not getting any playback files on the DVR. I do get playback on the individual cameras, despite "upload to SD card" not being ticked. I can get the alarm output to work (finally) and the flashing alarm, but the DVR isn't recording. I have the storage settings set to Motion | Alarm for 24h, but still nothing. The only way I get the DVR to record is if I set it to Continuous in the schedule settings, but that can't be right, can it?

That's normal when changing those settings in the browser while connected to the camera. The setting is changed correctly but the NVR display of the setting isn't updated. If the NVR is rebooted, when the camera reconnects the NVR will read the settings in the camera and then the NVR page will reflect the actual setting.

That's why I always recommend that if you're using a browser, to make any changes to the cameras on the NVR settings web page, not directly on the camera settings web page. That way applying the setting to the camera via the NVR ensures that the displayed settings in the NVR are in sync with what is applied on the camera. Of course there are a few settings that may not be available/adjustable from the NVR settings webpage. There have been previous posts on here where users have changed settings on the NVR, then the camera and wondering why things aren't displayed correctly.
Thank for this, I was trying to get my head around whether to make the changes in the DVR through the browser or the camera, but this makes things clearer. That said, the DVR doesn't appear to have as detailed Image settings for the IP connected cameras (not direct into the back of the DVR) as the cameras do.

I apologise for hijacking this thread but I'm at my wits end with my super-duper new DS-7608NI-M2 / 8P DVR and DS-2CD2386G2-ISU/SL cameras. No matter what I try, setting up just basic event motion detection in the camera or the DVR, I am not getting any playback files on the DVR. I do get playback on the individual cameras, despite "upload to SD card" not being ticked. I can get the alarm output to work (finally) and the flashing alarm, but the DVR isn't recording. I have the storage settings set to Motion | Alarm for 24h, but still nothing. The only way I get the DVR to record is if I set it to Continuous in the schedule settings, but that can't be right, can it?
I think perhaps you may have set up your recording in the cameras rather than the NVR schedule. There should be no need to alter almost anything in the camera if you have the cameras connected to the NVR:

• All motion detection settings are set up in the NVR (Settings > Event > Normal Event > Motion Detection > Enable and draw area
  • The motion recording schedule is set in the NVR (Storage > Schedule Record > Edit > Change All Day Continuous to whatever you want (Motion, Event etc) > Copy to each day and apply, then Advanced > alter your pre record/post record etc
I would never set it up like the however and would always set it to continuous as it is out of the box. I then set up the motion and that ensures that I can quickly find and the events within the 24/7 using the Smart Playback.

Last edited:
I think perhaps you may have set up your recording in the cameras rather than the NVR schedule. There should be no need to alter almost anything in the camera if you have the cameras connected to the NVR:

• All motion detection settings are set up in the NVR
  • The motion recording schedule is set in the NVR
I think perhaps you are right. Is it a question of defaulting the cameras and starting again, maintaining IP settings etc? I do want to be able to control the alarm output from one camera to turn on an LED light, and choosing the alarm output from the NVR, using the relevant camera's IP address, doesn't seem to stick. Can I still have a Motion event recorded to the NVR and a smart intrusion event set to trigger the alarm output at the camera?

I think perhaps you are right. Is it a question of defaulting the cameras and starting again, maintaining IP settings etc? I do want to be able to control the alarm output from one camera to turn on an LED light, and choosing the alarm output from the NVR, using the relevant camera's IP address, doesn't seem to stick. Can I still have a Motion event recorded to the NVR and a smart intrusion event set to trigger the alarm output at the camera?
You can do pretty much all of that. I usually setup as follows:
  • 24/7 continuous recording on all channels
  • Basic motion detection setup with the human filter ticked, sensitivity lowered to 20 or 40 max. No other options needed - I leave them default
  • Line crossing is also setup and I have that set to 'Notify Surveillance Center' to get the push notification to my phone.
The benefit of the above is that I don't want every person on screen triggering a push notification but I want to be able to find it quickly in the recording. I use the line crossing where I want a push notification (approach to front door, beyond a certain point on the driveway etc).

I do want to be able to control the alarm output from one camera to turn on an LED light, and choosing the alarm output from the NVR, using the relevant camera's IP address,
There should be no issue there. For the specific event select what you want in the Linkage Action tab

Can I still have a Motion event recorded to the NVR and a smart intrusion event set to trigger the alarm output at the camera?
Yes. That should also be no issue.

I activated 'notify surveillance centre' for all events as this would push the motion notifications to my phone and it would be easy to see when things had happened. It was just because Hik-Connect does not allow us to filter motion events only in playback so this was the best way.
However it's sending too many notifications and I would prefer to set up line detection so that I am only notified when somebody actually walks into my driveway. Can I ask how we can do a setup where I will be notified of line crossing notifications but not for the normal events?

I would still like to be able to go back and check through the normal events as I get contacted by neighbours sometimes for footage so it would be good to quickly watch through motion events and send them the clip they need, but I just wouldn't want these push notifications disturbing me all the time. I guess this would have been avoided if Hik-Connect allowed us to filter playback with motion detection.

However it's sending too many notifications and I would prefer to set up line detection so that I am only notified when somebody actually walks into my driveway. Can I ask how we can do a setup where I will be notified of line crossing notifications but not for the normal events?
Yeah simple - just leave the motion detection enabled but uncheck the 'Notify surveillance centre' option for it as it's set individually per event. The events will still be marked such that you can find them using Smart Playback.

I would still like to be able to go back and check through the normal events as I get contacted by neighbours sometimes for footage so it would be good to quickly watch through motion events and send them the clip they need, but I just wouldn't want these push notifications disturbing me all the time. I guess this would have been avoided if Hik-Connect allowed us to filter playback with motion detection.
You wouldn't then be able to see the clips in Hik-Connect - you'd need to search on the NVR. Tell your neighbours to get their own bloody system lol

Haha true! In that case, I will do it your way so that I am only notified on Hik-Connect for my own line detection events, and my neighbours can get their own system or wait until I'm home and can access the NVR for the normal motion detection events lol.

I'm just in the process of setting up Line crossing. Is there any way to have the schedule set so that I'm notified of all line crossing events 24/7 to my phone but only have the siren/audible warning go off during the night? Or is there a better way for me to do this? I'm thinking maybe having line crossing for my phone notifications then intrusion detection for the audible alarm. That way, I guess both can work on different schedules.

Haha true! In that case, I will do it your way so that I am only notified on Hik-Connect for my own line detection events, and my neighbours can get their own system or wait until I'm home and can access the NVR for the normal motion detection events lol.

I'm just in the process of setting up Line crossing. Is there any way to have the schedule set so that I'm notified of all line crossing events 24/7 to my phone but only have the siren/audible warning go off during the night? Or is there a better way for me to do this? I'm thinking maybe having line crossing for my phone notifications then intrusion detection for the audible alarm. That way, I guess both can work on different schedules.
Yes you can set the line crossing as standard including audible warning but then set a schedule on the audible warning I think. I’ll take a look when I’m home and advise

Thanks in that case, I think I may be able to find it if I play about in the settings. I think I'm experiencing ghosting as I've noticed that when people are walking past at night, it seems like there's a little ghost that follows behind their movement. Also, I've noticed that when I do try to zoom into faces on our drivrway, there is a lot of blur and makes the faces almost seem like old games console characters.

The exposure is 1/100, the contrast is 35, WDR is on as it seems to help a lot with plate numbers. The max bitrate is on 8192. I'm not sure what other settings I could change to help with this. The FPS is 25 and the video quality is on highest.

Back