01304 827609 info@use-ip.co.uk Find us

NVR for AcuSense Cameras

rjose

Hello All,

We want to install 8 cameras with human/vehicle detection and line crossing. If possible , for cost effectiveness, we want to use 5 cameras with AcuSense and other 3 Normal IP Cameras with AcuSense enabled in NVR. If that isn't not possible, we want to go with all 8 AcuSense cameras.

Which NVR is best suited for this? Is DS-7608NI-K1 a good option? I am bit confused by mixed information in various threads and NVR manuals.

In couple of threads I read that, its better to use AcuSense camera with non-acusense NVR -
  1. Hikvision Acusense nvr and cameras?
  2. 8x Acusense cameras on a 8channel Accusense NVR

But in another thread I read that, AcuSense camera is not functioning well with non-compatible NVR like K series.
  1. HikVision Accusense not effective

From the threads, it looks like K-series is not-compatible and NXI-series is unnecessary because camera already support AcuSense. Is that correct? But in DS-7608NI-K1 spec I read 4 channels support "Human/Vehicle Analysis", not very clear what it means. The thread I quoted above are bit old and I am not sure if there was any upgrade in K-series that makes it AcuSense compatible?

I am bit confused - Which NVR should I choose?

Hello All,

We want to install 8 cameras with human/vehicle detection and line crossing. If possible , for cost effectiveness, we want to use 5 cameras with AcuSense and other 3 Normal IP Cameras with AcuSense enabled in NVR. If that isn't not possible, we want to go with all 8 AcuSense cameras.

Which NVR is best suited for this? Is DS-7608NI-K1 a good option? I am bit confused by mixed information in various threads and NVR manuals.

In couple of threads I read that, its better to use AcuSense camera with non-acusense NVR -
  1. Hikvision Acusense nvr and cameras?
  2. 8x Acusense cameras on a 8channel Accusense NVR

But in another thread I read that, AcuSense camera is not functioning well with non-compatible NVR like K series.
  1. HikVision Accusense not effective

From the threads, it looks like K-series is not-compatible and NXI-series is unnecessary because camera already support AcuSense. Is that correct? But in DS-7608NI-K1 spec I read 4 channels support "Human/Vehicle Analysis", not very clear what it means. The thread I quoted above are bit old and I am not sure if there was any upgrade in K-series that makes it AcuSense compatible?

I am bit confused - Which NVR should I choose?
Based on what you're intending to install, I'd recommend the 16 channel NXI model (DS-7616NXI-I2/16P/S). With the NXI model you can choose whether to use the AcuSense cameras or activate the AcuSense feature on the NVR channel (there's a checkbox selection). In your example you would 'Enable Camera AI' on the channels where you have AcuSense and leave that unchecked on the channels with the standard cameras. If you're happy to have the three 'normal' cameras without any AcuSense function, you could use the non AcuSense model (DS-7616NI-I2/16P). The latter has been around for a number of years now and I'd maybe consider the NXI. As it's a relatively new model it may have a longer lifespan.

I would try not to put 8 cameras on an 8 channel NVR. The 8 channel NVR has a maximum incoming bandwidth of 80 Mbps whereas the 16 channel is 160 Mbps. The recorders capacity for cameras is determined by the number of channels OR the maximum incoming bandwidth, whichever is reached first. If you intend to use 4K cameras and/or record at high frame rates you could easily exceed the maximum bandwidth. The 16 channel model would ensure you don't hit the bandwidth cap and allow you some flexibility in camera choice now and for future upgrades.

Upvote 0
Hikvision PTZ cameras
Based on what you're intending to install, I'd recommend the 16 channel NXI model (DS-7616NXI-I2/16P/S). With the NXI model you can choose whether to use the AcuSense cameras or activate the AcuSense feature on the NVR channel (there's a checkbox selection). In your example you would 'Enable Camera AI' on the channels where you have AcuSense and leave that unchecked on the channels with the standard cameras. If you're happy to have the three 'normal' cameras without any AcuSense function, you could use the non AcuSense model (DS-7616NI-I2/16P). The latter has been around for a number of years now and I'd maybe consider the NXI. As it's a relatively new model it may have a longer lifespan.

I would try not to put 8 cameras on an 8 channel NVR. The 8 channel NVR has a maximum incoming bandwidth of 80 Mbps whereas the 16 channel is 160 Mbps. The recorders capacity for cameras is determined by the number of channels OR the maximum incoming bandwidth, whichever is reached first. If you intend to use 4K cameras and/or record at high frame rates you could easily exceed the maximum bandwidth. The 16 channel model would ensure you don't hit the bandwidth cap and allow you some flexibility in camera choice now and for future upgrades.

Thank you. It helps

We are planning to use all 2MP cameras. We are okay if AcuSense is limited to 4-5 cameras/channels and rest are left with normal IP-cameras.

We are bit price sensitive....Is there a 8-ch NVR that can be used instead of 16-ch for cost effectivness ?

I see following quotes (see screen shots) from "DS-7608NI-K1" user guide and specification. It sounds like supporting AcuSense camera on at least 4 channels but I am not sure. Any idea? Or should we go with "NXI" or "I2" series? An 8-ch varian is available?

1661858418179.png

1661858360599.png

1661858393730.png

So looks like the ideal choice would be

Upvote 0
Hi @rjrose

You could go for the DS-7608NXI-I2/8P/S as an alternative, which would allow you to add the Acusense feature to 4 cameras provided you keep them at 2MP.

This guide explains how this works and the limitations:

However, as @JB1970 says, you will likely run into stability issues if you add more than a couple of Acusense cameras too, as these use 15-20 Mbps each, and the NVR has a cap of 80 Mbps.

Non-Acusense cameras tend to use under 10 Mbps, but you can check this on each camera's datasheet.

Reducing video settings (such as resolution, frame rate and video quality) on the Acusense cameras will help to bring the bitrates used by them down if you do need to try and get everything working on the 8 channel NVR, but we would normally recommend using the larger model to give the assurance that you can run each camera without significantly reducing any of the video settings.

Upvote 0
Hi @rjrose

You could go for the DS-7608NXI-I2/8P/S as an alternative, which would allow you to add the Acusense feature to 4 cameras provided you keep them at 2MP.

This guide explains how this works and the limitations:

However, as @JB1970 says, you will likely run into stability issues if you add more than a couple of Acusense cameras too, as these use 15-20 Mbps each, and the NVR has a cap of 80 Mbps.

Non-Acusense cameras tend to use under 10 Mbps, but you can check this on each camera's datasheet.

Reducing video settings (such as resolution, frame rate and video quality) on the Acusense cameras will help to bring the bitrates used by them down if you do need to try and get everything working on the 8 channel NVR, but we would normally recommend using the larger model to give the assurance that you can run each camera without significantly reducing any of the video settings.
Thank you! this is very useful

Upvote 0
Finally we concluded that we will go with 4 AcuSense cameras and 4 normal ip-cemeras and leave the normal-ip cameras without any AcuSense (No AcuSense even in NVR, just smart event based on any object). All 6 cameras are 2 MP.

Looks like an ideal NVR for us would be the non AcuSense DS-76xxNI-I2/xxP. We did not consider the longer life-span advantage of NXI model due to cost constraints.

Based on the inputs from this thread, we are estimating around 100Mbps incoming bandwidth requirement (4 AcuSense * 15 Mbps + 4 IP * 10Mbps)

Couple of questions
  • Is there a per channel bandwidth limit for DS-76xxNI-I2/xxP that would impact 2MP AcuSense camera? Just wanted to be doubly sure
  • Based on the estimated incoming BW, I think we still need 16 channel DS-7616NI-I2/16P. Or an 8 channel variant DS-7608NI-I2/08P would suffice considering all are 2MP cameras? (Hikvision DS-7608NI-I2-8P 8 Channel Network Video Recorder)

Upvote 0
  • Is there a per channel bandwidth limit for DS-76xxNI-I2/xxP that would impact 2MP AcuSense camera? Just wanted to be doubly sure
Nope, there's no limit per channel, just as long as everything connected is within the overall 80 / 160 Mbps limit :)

Based on the estimated incoming BW, I think we still need 16 channel DS-7616NI-I2/16P. Or an 8 channel variant DS-7608NI-I2/08P would suffice considering all are 2MP cameras? (Hikvision DS-7608NI-I2-8P 8 Channel Network Video Recorder)
You may be OK with the 8 channel NVR with all of the cameras being 2MP - we haven't tested any 2MP Acusense cameras so can't say for sure, they may use less than 15 Mbps each.
What are the model numbers of the non-Acusense cameras that you're planning to use?

Upvote 0
Back