01304 827609 info@use-ip.co.uk Find us

POE Cameras at 75m distance dropping connection?

David_W

Hi,
Newbie here.
I’m running a Swann NVR with 7 POE cameras. The two most remote cameras use 75m Cat6 cables but the connection to them drops and resets every 20 minutes or so. I’m surprised as I thought they’d be fine up to 100m. Anyway, the cables are a bit longer than I need, so I could shorten them to maybe 65m. The other option I’m considering is a POE extender at the far end between the cable and the cameras short flying lead. I can’t put an extender mid-way as the cables are in buried trunking. Any thoughts? If an extender would work, I’d appreciate recommendations on the best model.
Cheers
David

Hikvision PTZ cameras
I'm not familiar with Swann systems, but you could look at using a POE switch at the NVR end of the cable that has long range capabilities, and is suited to surveillance camera use. There's a TP-Link switch that I've used that has been working quite well - where it claims to be able to operate well over 200m - so that would cover your usage I'm sure. The only think you'd have to check, is to whether you could add the cameras by IP address to your NVR once you've plugged them both into one POE switch, with the NVR connected to the same switch. Most NVR's allow you to add by IP address - but not being familiar with what you're using, you'll need to check.

Here's an example of the kind of switch I've used:

6-Port 10/100Mbps Desktop PoE Switch with 4-Port PoE+

(Feel free to hold off and see any other suggestions as well)

Thanks, I’ll look into this along with any other suggestions. I’ve ordered crimp tool, so will see if shortening the cables works first.

The network cable quality can be a big factor in achieving good distance.
It's quite common for vendors to sell cheaper Copper Clad Aluminium (CCA) network cable which does not perform as well as full-copper core cables.

You are correct that the nominal maximum network leg length is 100m, with or without POE.
We have heard reports of some people exceeding this to as far as 140m with good quality network cable.

Back