01304 827609 info@use-ip.co.uk Find us

PoE Issues with Hikvision DS-2CD2142FWD-I

Elliott

So I have installed on Hikvision DS-2CD2142FWD-I PoE camera at my relatives connected to a TP-Link TL-SF1008P 10/100 PoE Switch.

Cable run from switch to cam is with 24AWG solid copper Cat 5E cable at about 10 meters in length.

I tested the cable after I terminated it with a cheap and simple cable tester to ensure all 8 wires are connected and in the right order, and it all showed as fine as expected. (I am not new to making patch/Ethernet cables, have done a few dozen before to the current T-568B standard.)

Now if I plug the camera directly into the switch with a short patch cable, the camera works fine and is present on the network; however If i plug it in outside with the fixed 10M cable (What tested fine at both ends), only the power LED and not the data LED lights up on the TP Link PoE switch for the corresponding PoE port and thus the camera does not appear on the network.

Plug the camera in inside with a short patch lead, again all is fine. Back outside, same problem occurs.

Have already tried re-terminating both ends of the 24AWG solid copper cable that I ran, as well as checking that the cable cores are indeed solid copper with a flame test on a scarp piece of cable.

I have also tried plugging the 10M cable I ran into the master end of my cable tester indoors whilst the camera was connected up outside; my cable tester LED's went through in the correct sequence from 1 to 8.

Anybody have any idea's why I am having so much trouble? My only guess left is the physical tolerance between the 8P8C keystone jacks I was using and the TP Link switch.

Regards: Elliott.

Hi Elliott,
One of those "it just doesn't make sense" moments!
All you can do is eliminate the possibilities.
It seems related to your installed cable; the cable, the crimping, the connectors.
It shouldn't be a length/quality issue over just 10m, but who knows?
Replace to diagnose / substitute and see.
Frustrating ...

One thought / just came to me.
Is the camera new?
Has it been outdoors before?
I've seen weird POE power behaviour when verdigris builds-up on the small copper finger connectors in HikVision's pigtail RJ45 socket - which happens if the cameras are installed outdoors and left without good weatherproofing of that connection.
We'd recommend at least self-amalgamating tape over HikVision's 'weatherproof' RJ45 connector.
But preferably, contain the connection in a junction/mounting box or arm bracket.
https://forum.use-ip.co.uk/threads/hikvision-camera-failure-the-most-common-cause.976/

Thanks Phil; Yes the camera is brand new as so is the DS-1280ZJ-DM18 back box it is mounted to, as so is the cable and the PoE switch.

Maybe a bit of silicon that I used to seal the cable coming into the DS-1280ZJ-DM18 back box contaminated the 8P8C pigtail?, however the camera works indoors with a short patch cable as mentioned.

Can't get back down to my relatives for a couple of weeks as I don't live local to them, so when I next go back, I will try with some different 8P8C connectors and hope that does the trick.

Regards: Elliott.

What kind of connectors do you use on your AWG24 cable? What kind of cable is it? Sure it is really Cat5E (and not unshielded UTP)?

If there is a tested point-to-point connection of each wire, i think the only possible issue is a voltage drop within the 10m, so the voltage level at the camera is too low to get it powered on. Under normal conditions, AWG24 should be sufficient. Maybe there is a problem with the contact resistance of your connectors or the cable is damaged (hairline crack with high resistance).

I have several of the same cameras with diy-cables without any problems on 20-50 meters...

Last edited:
The Cable is External PE rated UTP CAT 5e cable that I bought online from ebay. The cable is marked with 24 Awg.

I have bought the same type rated cable from the same supplier in the past and used it with Foscam IP cameras without issue. The connects are 2 part CAT6 connectors from my local electrical store.

The only test I have done is with my basic £10 network tester, as you mentioned their could be a high resistance fault what my meter can not detect.

Hi...i am a new user here. As per my knowledge the issue seema is a voltage drop within the 10m, so the voltage level at the camera is too low to get it powered on. There can be a problem with the contact resistance of your connectors.

circuit board assembly house

Last edited:
The Cable is External PE rated UTP CAT 5e cable that I bought online from ebay. The cable is marked with 24 Awg.

I have bought the same type rated cable from the same supplier in the past and used it with Foscam IP cameras without issue. The connects are 2 part CAT6 connectors from my local electrical store.

The only test I have done is with my basic £10 network tester, as you mentioned their could be a high resistance fault what my meter can not detect.
Hi had same problin i change the cat 6 rj45 ends to cat 5 rj45 ends for cat5 CAT6 RJ45S ends WERE TO BIG NOT MAKEING GOOD CONECTION FOR THE POE POWER

Solid Cat5e should breeze a 10m run however, as you are using UTP cable, are you sure the cable is well away from any mains power cables as EMI can effect the cables performance. For the relatively small difference in cost, I personally would only run shielded cables for critical CCTV.

I would go with trying different plugs (not re-crimping the same type) as they are super cheap and the primary contact point for the connection. You have seen another cable with different plugs working so likely to be that or just the quality of the cable itself but I doubt that.

Back