01304 827609 info@use-ip.co.uk Find us

Problem accessing camera with DVR that uses a Wi-Fi dongle?

srs0115

Hi, I'm new to the forum and haven't got a clue what I'm doing so would be grateful for some help.

I've just bought a Hikvision iDS-7204HTHI-M1/S Turbo HD DVR which is Wi-Fi enabled when using a USB Wi-Fi dongle.
My set-up has a TP-Link 4 port POE switch connected to the only available LAN port on the DVR with an 8MP IP camera plugged into the POE switch.
A Wi-Fi dongle is plugged in the rear USB port which works okay (after a few attempts at getting a compatible one)
Everything seemed to configure okay, camera displays okay etc but the problem is that I cannot access the camera with my laptop wirelessly to configure its settings.
FYI, the default DVR IP address is 192.168.1.64, the camera's address was the same and caused an IP conflict so I changed the camera's IP to 192.168.1.65 and it was okay then.
I would like to access scheduled switch which is not available in the settings from the DVR but when typing the camera's IP address into my browser I cannot connect.
The only way I can connect is using an ethernet cable from my laptop to the POE switch and open SADP tool. This shows my DVR and camera. If I double-click on the IP addresses nothing happens unless I let SADP reconfigure the addresses and I end up with 169.254.x.x addresses. Double-click on those and it works but unplug the ethernet cable, type those new addresses into my browser and nothing happens and I have to reconfigure everything again.
My current network settings under TCP/IP are as follows;
LAN1 - IP Address 192.168.1.64 - Subnet Mask 255.255.255.0 - Default Gateway 1.0.0.0 - Preferred DNS Server 194.168.4.100 - Alternate DNS Server 194.168.8.100
WLAN0 - IP Address 192.168.0.119 - Subnet Mask 255.255.255.0 - Default Gateway 192.168.0.1 - Preferred DNS 194.168.4.100 - Alternate DNS 194.168.8.100
IP camera's address is 192.168.1.65 - subnet mask - 255.255.255.0 - default gateway 1.0.0.0
My Virgin Hub's IP address is 192.168.0.1
I have the Default Route set as WLAN0

I can access the DVR wirelessly with my laptop if I type the WLAN0 address 192.168.0.119 into my browser, I can view the camera stream okay but cannot access the camera itself.
Hik-Connect works okay from my mobile phone and so does iVMS-4200 from my laptop.
I'm assuming it's possible to access the camera with this DVR and Wi-Fi dongle set-up as I can't see any point in making the DVR wi-fi enabled if it isn't.
Any help would be appreciated.
Sean

Hi, I'm new to the forum and haven't got a clue what I'm doing so would be grateful for some help.

I've just bought a Hikvision iDS-7204HTHI-M1/S Turbo HD DVR which is Wi-Fi enabled when using a USB Wi-Fi dongle.
My set-up has a TP-Link 4 port POE switch connected to the only available LAN port on the DVR with an 8MP IP camera plugged into the POE switch.
A Wi-Fi dongle is plugged in the rear USB port which works okay (after a few attempts at getting a compatible one)
Everything seemed to configure okay, camera displays okay etc but the problem is that I cannot access the camera with my laptop wirelessly to configure its settings.
FYI, the default DVR IP address is 192.168.1.64, the camera's address was the same and caused an IP conflict so I changed the camera's IP to 192.168.1.65 and it was okay then.
I would like to access scheduled switch which is not available in the settings from the DVR but when typing the camera's IP address into my browser I cannot connect.
The only way I can connect is using an ethernet cable from my laptop to the POE switch and open SADP tool. This shows my DVR and camera. If I double-click on the IP addresses nothing happens unless I let SADP reconfigure the addresses and I end up with 169.254.x.x addresses. Double-click on those and it works but unplug the ethernet cable, type those new addresses into my browser and nothing happens and I have to reconfigure everything again.
My current network settings under TCP/IP are as follows;
LAN1 - IP Address 192.168.1.64 - Subnet Mask 255.255.255.0 - Default Gateway 1.0.0.0 - Preferred DNS Server 194.168.4.100 - Alternate DNS Server 194.168.8.100
WLAN0 - IP Address 192.168.0.119 - Subnet Mask 255.255.255.0 - Default Gateway 192.168.0.1 - Preferred DNS 194.168.4.100 - Alternate DNS 194.168.8.100
IP camera's address is 192.168.1.65 - subnet mask - 255.255.255.0 - default gateway 1.0.0.0
My Virgin Hub's IP address is 192.168.0.1
I have the Default Route set as WLAN0

I can access the DVR wirelessly with my laptop if I type the WLAN0 address 192.168.0.119 into my browser, I can view the camera stream okay but cannot access the camera itself.
Hik-Connect works okay from my mobile phone and so does iVMS-4200 from my laptop.
I'm assuming it's possible to access the camera with this DVR and Wi-Fi dongle set-up as I can't see any point in making the DVR wi-fi enabled if it isn't.
Any help would be appreciated.
Sean
Hi Sean,
The default gateways don't look right at 1.0.0.0, is the DVR lan port connected to the Virgin hub?

David

Hi Sean,
The default gateways don't look right at 1.0.0.0, is the DVR lan port connected to the Virgin hub?

David
Hi David.
No, it's not. My Virgin hub is downstairs and my dvr etc upstairs. I didn't want the bother of the extra cables so bought this WiFi dvr hoping I could do it all wirelessly.

Sean

Hi David.
No, it's not. My Virgin hub is downstairs and my dvr etc upstairs. I didn't want the bother of the extra cables so bought this WiFi dvr hoping I could do it all wirelessly.

Sean
Can you put the Wi-Fi dongle in client mode and connect to the virgin Wi-Fi network?

Can you put the Wi-Fi dongle in client mode and connect to the virgin Wi-Fi network?
I haven't a clue. It doesn't look much really and only the size of my thumbnail. Later I'll plug it into my laptop and see if I can configure any settings on it and get back to you.
Sean

I haven't a clue. It doesn't look much really and only the size of my thumbnail. Later I'll plug it into my laptop and see if I can configure any settings on it and get back to you.
Sean

Hi Sean
did you assign the IP addresses to the DVR, Camera, wifi adapter by yourself?
what make / model number is the wifi dongle?
David

Hi Sean
did you assign the IP addresses to the DVR, Camera, wifi adapter by yourself?
what make / model number is the wifi dongle?
David
All the IPs were assigned automatically apart from the camera which I changed to 192.168.1.65 because 192.168.1.64 was in conflict with the default dvr lan IP.
The dongle is a Plugable brand from Amazon UK. If you put B00H28H8DU into Amazon search you'll find it. It's chipset is on Hikvision's compatibility list that the seller sent me.
I plugged the dongle into my laptop to look at the adapter properties but not sure what I should be looking at, can't see anything referring to client mode.
Sean

You need to change the DVR and Camera IP's to 192.168.0.64 and 65 as they're currently on a different subnet to that of your VM hub (better still set them to a higher address such as 192.168.0.250 and 192.168.0.251 as this will ensure they're unlikely to clash with anything on your network that's been assigned to other devices via DHCP). The DVR gateway should be 192.168.0.1 also - otherwise the DVR cannot access the external DNS server that you have. (ideally the DNS server in the DVR would be set to 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 to avoid using VM's own servers)

In short, all devices on your network need to be on the same subnet (192.168.0 in your case) otherwise:

1 - The devices cannot communicate with one another
2 - Devices on a subnet different to the gateway (the gateway being your VM hub on 192.168.0.1) will be unable to access the internet.

You need to change the DVR and Camera IP's to 192.168.0.64 and 65 as they're currently on a different subnet to that of your VM hub (better still set them to a higher address such as 192.168.0.250 and 192.168.0.251 as this will ensure they're unlikely to clash with anything on your network that's been assigned to other devices via DHCP). The DVR gateway should be 192.168.0.1 also - otherwise the DVR cannot access the external DNS server that you have. (ideally the DNS server in the DVR would be set to 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 to avoid using VM's own servers)

In short, all devices on your network need to be on the same subnet (192.168.0 in your case) otherwise:

1 - The devices cannot communicate with one another
2 - Devices on a subnet different to the gateway (the gateway being your VM hub on 192.168.0.1) will be unable to access the internet.
Hi,
I've changed the DVR and camera to 0.64 and 0.65 along with the DNS servers.
Camera is okay, hik-connect stream okay, ivms-4200 stream okay BUT unfortunately I can no longer access 192.168.0.119 from my laptop on wi-fi.
Sadp tool shows nothing and still no browser access to the camera.
I bought the DVR on eBay and I'm due to return it in about a week's time but I've told the seller I'll cancel the return if I get it working the way it should.
Sean

Hi,
I've changed the DVR and camera to 0.64 and 0.65 along with the DNS servers.
Camera is okay, hik-connect stream okay, ivms-4200 stream okay BUT unfortunately I can no longer access 192.168.0.119 from my laptop on wi-fi.
Sadp tool shows nothing and still no browser access to the camera.
I bought the DVR on eBay and I'm due to return it in about a week's time but I've told the seller I'll cancel the return if I get it working the way it should.
Sean
I can reasonably confidently say that there is nothing wrong with that DVR and it is your network configuration causing the issue. I've not personally used a WiFi adaptor in an DVR that supported WiFi. I tend to cable directly to the router, use a pair of power line adaptors or I've also used the Vonets wireless bridges which are configured via their own web page rather than the DVR GUI.

My best advice would be to get someone with some networking experience to set it up for you. I'd be disappointed as a seller to receive that unit back without someone experienced looking at it. I hope that doesn't come across as insulting in any way as it's not intended to. Sometimes it can be difficult to provide step by step setup guide regrading network configuration, whereas if it were laid out in front of me (or any competent installer) I'd have it working and online 15 minutes or less.

I can reasonably confidently say that there is nothing wrong with that DVR and it is your network configuration causing the issue. I've not personally used a WiFi adaptor in an DVR that supported WiFi. I tend to cable directly to the router, use a pair power line adaptors or I've also used the Vonets wireless bridges.

My best advice would be to get someone with some networking experience to set it up for you. I hope that doesn't come across as insulting as it's not intended to. Sometimes it can be difficult to provide step by step setup guide regrading network configuration, whereas if it were laid out in front of me I'd have it working and online 15 minutes or less (as would any competent installer)
I'm going to give those other settings another go tomorrow as I'm definitely having signal issues with the wi-fi adapter as the 192.168.0.119 worked on and off following my last post. I'll go downstairs nearer to the Virgin hub to test again in the morning.
Sean

I'm going to give those other settings another go tomorrow as I'm definitely having signal issues with the wi-fi adapter as the 192.168.0.119 worked on and off following my last post. I'll go downstairs nearer to the Virgin hub to test again in the morning.
Sean
Yeah I think the key is the link between the WiFi dongle and your VM hub. I'm not sure you actually have anything wrong. If your DVR is accessible on the network and you have it working with Hik Connect it's working....

The reason you may not be able to access the dongle on .119 is that it is in Bridge Mode. By that I mean it is intended to simply connect the DVR to the VM Hub. For you to connect your laptop to the WiFi dongle it would need to be in Access Point mode. With the Vonets units I've used you do the initial setup using it's own WiFi network and then once it has been configured it cannot be connected to on it's wireless interface - it simply provides a one to one link to the router (your VM hub). If you want to connect to the DVR using the network you would either access it via your VM Wifi or using a cabled connection to your switch (or VM hub)

I'm definitely having signal issues with the wi-fi adapter as the 192.168.0.119 worked on and off
Morning Sean,
Those little USB wifi dongles are designed to be used close to your virgin hub. The dongle internal antenna does not send or receive a good signal, any floors or walls will intermittently block the wifi signal.

Your DVR probably needs 24/7 connectivity to your LAN network, I'd invest in a pair of ethernet power line adapters to connect your DVR LAN port to the virgin hub.

I agree with @JB1970 and think your DVR is ok, the main problem was network setup and connectivity.

David

Morning Sean,
Those little USB wifi dongles are designed to be used close to your virgin hub. The dongle internal antenna does not send or receive a good signal, any floors or walls will intermittently block the wifi signal.

Your DVR probably needs 24/7 connectivity to your LAN network, I'd invest in a pair of ethernet power line adapters to connect your DVR LAN port to the virgin hub.

I agree with @JB1970 and think your DVR is ok, the main problem was network setup and connectivity.

David
Hi David,
Much appreciate your help (and others) with this problem.
Regarding the power line adapters you mention, the seller also mentioned those to me when I was struggling to find a compatible dongle. I wasn't previously aware of them and I said to the seller that I probably could have used that type of thing with my current DVR set-up.
My current original DVR is a Hikvision DS-7204HTHI-K1 Turbo HD (non-wifi compatible) so I'm now becoming aware that it was unnecessary for me to buy this new wifi enabled DVR.
I am able to return it for a refund but before I do I need to be sure that my current DVR will work with these power line adapters.
I've just had a quick look at some of them and, correct me if I'm wrong, you get 2 devices, one particular device would plug in downstairs and connect to my Virgin hub with an ethernet cable and the other device can be plugged in upstairs and connects to the LAN port of the DVR with an ethernet cable ?
If that's correct then there might be a problem as the DVR only has 1 port which will be already occupied by the POE switch that the cameras are connected to. Is there a way around this ?
Sean

Hi David,
Much appreciate your help (and others) with this problem.
Regarding the power line adapters you mention, the seller also mentioned those to me when I was struggling to find a compatible dongle. I wasn't previously aware of them and I said to the seller that I probably could have used that type of thing with my current DVR set-up.
My current original DVR is a Hikvision DS-7204HTHI-K1 Turbo HD (non-wifi compatible) so I'm now becoming aware that it was unnecessary for me to buy this new wifi enabled DVR.
I am able to return it for a refund but before I do I need to be sure that my current DVR will work with these power line adapters.
I've just had a quick look at some of them and, correct me if I'm wrong, you get 2 devices, one particular device would plug in downstairs and connect to my Virgin hub with an ethernet cable and the other device can be plugged in upstairs and connects to the LAN port of the DVR with an ethernet cable ?
If that's correct then there might be a problem as the DVR only has 1 port which will be already occupied by the POE switch that the cameras are connected to. Is there a way around this ?
Sean
The power line adaptors normally come ready paired. I recommend the TP link PA4010-PKIT as they're plug through (you don't lose a socket) You simply plug one into the wall at your DVR and one at the router, but do not plug them into an extension lead - plug the unit in the wall and whatever you needed to unplug back into it (they sometimes don't work at all through an extension lead and if they do won't work as well) Then connect the network cable to your DVR at one end and a spare port on the VM hub at the other. There's no setup required at all - they're plug and play. Don't waste money on anything promising faster speeds as it's not required and ultimately the path through the house mains wiring will be the limiting factor.

I've used these loads of times for connection where getting a cable in wasn't practical. I prefer them to any WiFi solution.

there might be a problem as the DVR only has 1 port which will be already occupied by the POE switch that the cameras are connected to. Is there a way around this ?
connect the powerline adapter to a spare port on the poe switch, if the switch has an uplink port connect it there. I've used tp-link adapters for many years now, connected in a similar way as your DVR / cameras are. tp-link power line adapters come with an app to check the link quality.

connect the powerline adapter to a spare port on the poe switch, if the switch has an uplink port connect it there. I've used tp-link adapters for many years now, connected in a similar way as your DVR / cameras are. tp-link power line adapters come with an app to check the link quality.
Thanks, I was thinking that might be the solution.
I'll be returning the DVR, the seller did moan slightly when he accepted my return that he wouldn't be able to resell it as new.
I hadn't even got to the stage of opening it up to install a hard drive as I was only testing it so it's still in perfect condition.
I'll chuck the dongle in the box as a goodwill gesture.
Sean

Thanks, I was thinking that might be the solution.
I'll be returning the DVR, the seller did moan slightly when he accepted my return that he wouldn't be able to resell it as new.
I hadn't even got to the stage of opening it up to install a hard drive as I was only testing it so it's still in perfect condition.
I'll chuck the dongle in the box as a goodwill gesture.
Sean
I'm sure the seller will still make a profit, let us know how you get on with the power line adapters.

David

Ugh - you're making a mistake there IMHO.

The M series version of the DVR is an upgrade however you look at it:
  • You've gone from an older 'K' series to the newer 'best' M series. It's got better specs and as a newer product has a longer lifespan with regard to firmware updates and support (I have one sat in front of me to replace early next week for a customer)
  • It has AcuSense ('iDS' versions)....You're exchanging motion detection that is annoying at best and replacing it with something that's actually useful. A bit different for NVR users as the functionality is available in IP cameras directly regardless of what NVR is in use. (for the best results and functionality you would use an IP NVR with IP cameras rather than a HDTVi DVR with an IP camera....as the website says - 'use-ip' (Kudos - I think they nailed that domain name)
Forget the WiFi capability as an issue - the introduction of WiFi config into the DVR menu is really just a convenience - it's always been possible to use a WiFi bridge (you just couldn't set it up directly via the DVR menu). But if you do return the DVR and your camera is an IP rather than HDTVi camera (I didn't notice model reference), your best upgrade path is an NVR which is natively designed to handle IP cameras.

Ugh - you're making a mistake there IMHO.

The M series version of the DVR is an upgrade however you look at it:
  • You've gone from an older 'K' series to the newer 'best' M series. It's got better specs and as a newer product has a longer lifespan with regard to firmware updates and support (I have one sat in front of me to replace early next week for a customer)
  • It has AcuSense ('iDS' versions)....You're exchanging motion detection that is annoying at best and replacing it with something that's actually useful. A bit different for NVR users as the functionality is available in IP cameras directly regardless of what NVR is in use. (for the best results and functionality you would use an IP NVR with IP cameras rather than a HDTVi DVR with an IP camera....as the website says - 'use-ip' (Kudos - I think they nailed that domain name)
Forget the WiFi capability as an issue - the introduction of WiFi config into the DVR menu is really just a convenience - it's always been possible to use a WiFi bridge (you just couldn't set it up directly via the DVR menu). But if you do return the DVR and your camera is an IP rather than HDTVi camera (I didn't notice model reference), your best upgrade path is an NVR which is natively designed to handle IP cameras.
Hi,

To be honest I hadn't really thought about the future in terms of firmware support etc. I was too busy feeling annoyed with myself by thinking I've wasted my time and money on something I could have achieved with my K series.
My original plan was to buy and keep the M series and then stick a spare hard drive into my K series and sell it on eBay.
Obviously I could still do that. I'm just annoyed that I couldn't get what I wanted using that damn dongle. I cannot understand why Hikvision have this dongle option DVR if it doesn't work as expected (or maybe it would if I knew how?).
I've got about a week to make up my mind but I'll definitely be taking your advice seriously.
FYI, I have one 5MP TVI camera (hence the reason for buying a turbo model) and two Hikvision 8MP IP cameras - model DS-2CD2H85G1-IZS.

Thanks for your help.

Sean

Back