01304 827609 info@use-ip.co.uk Find us

Record Main Stream (Event) & Substream (Continuous)

Sam P

IPC: DS-2CD2542FWD
NVR: DS-9632NI-I8

I would like to record both the MainStream (Event) and also the SubStream (continuous) to reduce storage requirements.

Is this possible and if not, would it be possible to record the MainStream to one NVR and SubStream to another DS-9632NI-I8?

Hi @Sam P

As far as we are aware there are no Hikvision NVRs that support recording both streams, most NVRs will only let you record the Mainstream as the other streams are only access streams used when remote accessing the system or streaming to a webpage so as not to affect the main recorded stream.

the only ways I think you could record 2 streams would be to record to 2 different NVRs with one mainstream set to Event/high resolution and the other set to continuous/low resolution, alternatively, you could have 2 cameras covering the same area that are set to different resolutions and record to different channels on the same NVR.

How long are you looking to record for and how many cameras?

Depending on the duration and number of cameras the more affordable solution would be to just replace the cameras with newer models that support H.265/H.265+ compression like the DS-2CD2545FWD-I 4MP Mini Dome

Just as an example, if you were to fully load your 32-channel with 2545 4MP cameras and run them at 15fps, max. resolution, and using H.265+ you could get 2 weeks of continuous recording onto 30-35TB of storage, compare that to the models you currently have running H.264 which would require 50-55TB of storage.

If we condense it right down, you would get 2 weeks of recording from a single 2545 onto a 1TB drive.

Back