01304 827609 info@use-ip.co.uk Find us

Replacing an NVR - What is the correct procedure to transfer my cameras to the new NVR?

gp116126

Centurion!
Trusted Member
I decided to upgrade to an 8 channel M series..

I currently have a 7608 K2 using the latest version 3 software (not v4) with 7 cams of G0, G1 and G2(c) variants connected to POE ports on the NVR.

My question is.

What is the correct procedure to transfer these cams to the M series NVR.

Thank you.

I decided to upgrade to an 8 channel M series..

I currently have a 7608 K2 using the latest version 3 software (not v4) with 7 cams of G0, G1 and G2(c) variants connected to POE ports on the NVR.

My question is.

What is the correct procedure to transfer these cams to the M series NVR.

Thank you.
I’d do it in this order as it’ll prevent plug and play from overwriting the existing camera settings. I usually do this on brand new systems too by pre programming all camera IPs to 192.158.54.101, 102 and so on (it makes swap outs easier at a later date):
  • Go to the cameras page of the existing NVR and note the IP addresses 192.168.254.xxx for each camera before powering down.
  • Plug in the new M series WITHOUT connecting cameras
  • Activate the NVR with the same password as your existing and set the channel default password the same (unless your cameras have a different password to the NVR currently)
  • Go to the cameras page. For each camera click edit. Change plug and play to manual, then enter the IP address for that camera noted earlier and enter the admin password for the camera
  • Connect the cameras to their respective ports on the new NVR
You can then complete setting up the NVR as usual. Of particular importance will be to go to Video parameters for each camera in the NVR settings and match the Main Stream (event) settings to the Main Stream (normal) that the NVR has picked up from the cameras.

Upvote 1
Thanks for your advice once more JB.

I will need to change the password on 2 cams first as they dont match the NVR's password but also I will be changing cam settings after the upgrade as they are throttled back at the moment due to the K NVR struggling with decoding. Therefore can I use plug and play instead or won't this work because of the cams already being assigned IPs and having passwords.

Upvote 0
Thanks for your advice once more JB.

I will need to change the password on 2 cams first as they dont match the NVR's password but also I will be changing cam settings after the upgrade as they are throttled back at the moment due to the K NVR struggling with decoding. Therefore can I use plug and play instead or won't this work because of the cams already being assigned IPs and having passwords.
I wouldn't worry about changing existing camera passwords first as long as you've noted them for each camera. As long as you type in the camera specific admin password in the fourth step, it'll work just fine.

I wouldn't recommend plug and play but if you want to you'd need to make sure either:

a - all cameras have the same admin password and it matches the NVR
b - all cameras have the same admin password and it's different to the NVR

Before connecting any cameras, with 'a' you'll just set the admin password of the new NVR the same then connect your cameras and it should be fine. With 'b' you'd also set the channel default password in the NVR prior to connecting anything.

It sounds as though you'll change the passwords to match on the 2 cameras that are different. Invariably if you do that while they're connected to the existing NVR with plug and play, they'll fail to reconnect and get temporarily locked out when the NVR submits the same previous (now incorrect) password too many times.

It's far easier to set it up manually or if you want to use plug and play I'd probably factory reset all of the cameras so the the new NVR activates them.

Upvote 0
Back