01304 827609 info@use-ip.co.uk Find us

Saving my DS-7604NI-E1 NVR from the scrap heap! Smart event issues?

DHR

I have an aging, but generally reliable DS-7604NI-E1 on V3.4.106, which is currently running a single DS-2CD2346G2-IU on V5.5.131.

I can connect to and watch the streams via hik-connect, but can't see playback via browser etc on Mac/pc because of the plugin problem. Connecting to the camera direct, I'm able to.

I've recently had reason to configure smart events, which due to plugin problems, I can only do on the camera direct. Although basic motion alerts register in the NVR surveillance center, smart events like boundary/intrusion etc will not.

I'm loathed to buy another NVR as it seems like such a waste, but I really need smart events to be passed from the camera back to the NVR. Hell, if I can get the video feeds on the NVR working too, even better!

Is the camera connected directly to a PoE port of the NVR? This is relevant to how the system is set up. If the camera is connected to the NVR directly via a PoE port on the rear of the recorder, everything will be passed through the recorder.

You want the camera connected to the recorder directly using plug and play. You then set up the line crossing on the camera itself, that will be necessary as the AcuSense features on the camera are not directly compatible with the old recorder. Then in the recorder web browser menu (not the camera) you need to configure Smart Event > Line Crossing for notify surveillance center. It should work fine, however I've not tried Line Crossing with notify surveillance center on that model.

Mac îs generally a non starter for viewing most Hikvision NVR's and cameras (limited functionality) I have however just connected remotely to a 7608NI-E2 on the same firmware as you are using and can access everything. I'm using a Mac with Parallels, running Windows 11 ARM. Edge browser is fine if you just reload the Hikvision NVR webpage in explorer mode. Alternatively just load iVMS-4200 on your PC/Mac and view/configure from that to get around the plugin issue.

Again no reason you shouldn't be able to get the video feeds working, but you'll need to select H264 for both main and sub streams.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
It is connected direct to a poe port on the NVR yes.

Thanks for your help @JB1970, if I know it can work, I'll persevere!

Upvote 0
It is connected direct to a poe port on the NVR yes.

Thanks for your help @JB1970, if I know it can work, I'll persevere!
Just to clarify regarding H264...The camera supports H264 and H265. The recorder will allow you to select H265 for the camera as it can record it. However it cannot decode H265 (it's H264/H264+ only) for live view/playback so you'll likely just see 'no resource' or some other message on the screen. You need to set it for both main and sub stream, because by default when you switch from multiscreen to full screen on a locally connected monitor, the recorder requests the appropriate stream to display (sub stream for multi screen and main stream for single view)

Reactions: DHR
Upvote 0
Back