01304 827609 info@use-ip.co.uk Find us

Firmware Should a 'Factory Reset' be recommended as Best Practice after updating NVR firmware?

CQR-View

Is there any particular reason why it is not normally suggested the NVR be Factory Reset after applying an upgraded firmware?

Correspondences I have had with Hikvision Support will on almost every occassion suggest the NVR should be Reset.
I might be the odd one out here, but it does make perfect sense as far as i'm concerned:
- a) Factory Reset after a new firmware is installed would ensure the new firmware functions as the Manufacturer intended
- b) Eliminate/Remove any little inconsistancies which may exist from settings made long ago
- c) By reconfiguring the parameters & settings you can be certain they will all work again & identify any new/added features associated

Further to this, it should be a snowball effect with mobile device apps & pc client software. Delete the device & add it again.

I have practiced this method for some time now & rarely have any issues afterwards ............................... just seems logical

Is there any particular reason why it is not normally suggested the NVR be Factory Reset after applying an upgraded firmware?
I have practiced this method for some time now & rarely have any issues afterwards ............................... just seems logical
You're probably right, I guess it's just down to time. When I have had issues I'll normally factory default, update firmware and factory default again prior to programming from scratch. Some might suggest just to export the config, factory default, update, re import the config...but to me theres a chance that some parameter in the exported config may not match up with the newer firmware.

Correspondences I have had with Hikvision Support will on almost every occassion suggest the NVR should be Reset.
I might be the odd one out here, but it does make perfect sense as far as i'm concerned:
- a) Factory Reset after a new firmware is installed would ensure the new firmware functions as the Manufacturer intended
- b) Eliminate/Remove any little inconsistancies which may exist from settings made long ago
- c) By reconfiguring the parameters & settings you can be certain they will all work again & identify any new/added features associated

Further to this, it should be a snowball effect with mobile device apps & pc client software. Delete the device & add it again.

Hi,

Maybe you are indeed the 'odd one' ;) (no offence) In general a FW update/upgrade (for any device/component/system for that matter) should never require you to reset/revert to default factory settings unless explicitly stated upfront it will brick you're component otherwise. Hikvision is a company that has its primary focus on (large/enterprise) businesses beside consumers. You can't expect customers with a large Hikvision implementation (let's say 50+ camera's and large NVR setups to factory-reset each individual component whenever a new FW is released. I wouldn't think twice to switch to another vendor if that would indeed be the official advised approach on performing FW updates.

For my own personal setup (with just 2 cams on a NVR) i can understand the argument on 'starting fresh' but it should not be a mandatory requirement.

You're probably right, I guess it's just down to time. When I have had issues I'll normally factory default, update firmware and factory default again prior to programming from scratch. Some might suggest just to export the config, factory default, update, re import the config...but to me theres a chance that some parameter in the exported config may not match up with the newer firmware.
Yes, i've never been a fan of using Config Files ............................. I'm pretty versed in setting up NVR settings, takes bugger all time, so from my point of view just set it up again

Hi,

Maybe you are indeed the 'odd one' ;) (no offence) In general a FW update/upgrade (for any device/component/system for that matter) should never require you to reset/revert to default factory settings unless explicitly stated upfront it will brick you're component otherwise. Hikvision is a company that has its primary focus on (large/enterprise) businesses beside consumers. You can't expect customers with a large Hikvision implementation (let's say 50+ camera's and large NVR setups to factory-reset each individual component whenever a new FW is released. I wouldn't think twice to switch to another vendor if that would indeed be the official advised approach on performing FW updates.

For my own personal setup (with just 2 cams on a NVR) i can understand the argument on 'starting fresh' but it should not be a mandatory requirement.
We are not talking about a multi-level enterprise system here .............................. just a localised 76xx system. Comparing Bottle Rockets to Jet Fighters.
None the less, i have a couple of sites Operating 50-60 Cameras on a couple of 7732 NVR's & another Operating 96 Cameras on Multiple 76xx NVR's & yes without doubt i would & do Factory Reset & Reconfigure the NVR's when Updating Firmware.
But a Server Based System ............................ different animal

Back