01304 827609 info@use-ip.co.uk Find us

MacOS Still no support for modern browsers from Hikvision?

talby101

I just got a HikVision set up installed yesterday after being told they are one of the best suppliers of CCTV equipment. However I was extremely disappointed to find that there is no browser support unless you use some shitty browser from a crappy operating system that is at least 5 years old. Is this really the case? If it is, that is a huge disappointment and big, big reason why one should avoid this brand.

Hikvision are definitely not where we would like them to be with their support for modern browsers.
What equipment did you have installed please?
Latest models, running latest firmware will work with Chrome for instance.

Thank you for responding and entertaining my rant.

NVR is : DS-7600 (DS-7604NI-K1 / 4P(B))
Firmware: V3.4.108 build 191014
Encoding:V5.0 build 190410
Web version: V4.0.1 build 191014
Plugin version: V3.0.7.1
Chrome version: 83.0.4103.116 (Official Build) (64-bit)

Just FYI there is newer firmware available for your NVR (V4.30):
HIKVISION UK PORTAL

However, we have that running on our demo unit of that NVR model and it still seems to request plugins.

I tend to use the IEtab extension for the Chrome browser to get around this.

Thanks, it helped a little bit. I received a link in the embedded viewer to download the plugin but it is not compatible with Mac OS.

I tried the extension as well before going on the forum but it did not work for me either.

Looks like I need to wait for HIKVision to make some updates. Thanks again.

Hikvision's support for Mac Os is shocking; but there aren't many browser options under Windows either, ie Internet Explorer which is clunky and ugly. Best choice of a bad bunch is to run Windows in emulation via Parallels Desktop.

Given that Apple has just announced that it is migrating its desktops and laptops away from Intel to ARM chips, I doubt we'll see Hikvision (or many developers) throwing a lot of resources at Mac Os until that happens. But hopefully the switch will make it possible for Hikvision to support Mac Os properly.

In any event, Hikvision are not alone in making life miserable for Mac users. If there was a decent range of IP cameras with full Mac support, I would have gone that route. One or two closed-system consumer-level CCTV makers do support Mac Os (eg Reolink) but they don't stack up to an efficient security system imho.

Sorry, I hadn't realised that you were a Mac user.
The Mac-user posse; @Dan @Kyle @macman et al will drop by shortly to commiserate with you.
I wish we had the power to get it fixed!
Trust me, @Dan does keep on at Hikvision about it often!

Thanks All,
You would think portability and platform independence would be a central design aim when producing an embedded video feed for a web browser. At least that has been the industry consensus for about 20 years.

@talby101, you might take a look at the free trial version of SecuritySpy which is a Mac-specific VMS that runs sweetly on my Macs but I've never explored all the config/alert options. It's not free, nor even cheap, if you have more than a couple of cameras but it's rock solid and very actively supported/updated.

It's not helpful here, but topical as I am wrestling with a couple of new enquiries from a 'money no object' / "I want the best" / "must work with my Mac" point of view:

Synology's Surveillance Station has much about it that is commendable, and a Mac client
(But, aside from x2 free camera licences with the box, subsequent cameras are £40 each to add. And, no POE, no ANPR, no direct monitor)

Axis offer their own Mac client for viewing too.

Apart from that it's scarce pickings for Mac users I'm afraid!

Regarding web browser access, you will need to download this web plugin for macOS (V3.0.6.23).

Pay attention to the "please close the web browsers while you are installing the plug-in", you will have problems with it if you don't. I've found that with everything on it's latest firmware, Chrome is very usable after that (Safari too).

The key outstanding issue in macOS browser access it the missing Local menu under the Configuration tab, we are hoping to see this be fixed with future firmware updates though.

@Kyle, in High Sierra (Os 10.13.6), this installer appears to place the web plugin in /library/internet plug-ins but Safari seems unable to find it there as it isn't listed in Safari's website settings (and certainly isn't working). Safari seems to expect it to be in home/library/safari/extensions.

Nor does Safari invite me to trust this plugin when I log into a Hikvision device.

That said, one of my cameras - DS-2CD2543G0-IS running V5.6.3 build 190923 - has always worked fine in Safari whereas my other cameras have always displayed grey screens (DS-2DE2204IW-DE3 running V5.6.15 build 191211, DS-2DE2A404IWDE3 running V5.6.15 build 191211, IPC-B640H-Z running V5.5.82 build 190130 and IPC-D640-Z running V5.4.5 build 170921 (that's the latest!). So maybe the plugin is working but only very selectively.

Apple's advice is limited to Catalina and Mojave.

Back