01304 827609 info@use-ip.co.uk Find us

Tuning Event Generation

daern

Hi all,

I'm a relatively new Hikvision user, running 3 x DS-2CD2155FWD domes and a DS-7604NI-K1 NVR. Install and setup was extremely straightforward and I have the thing happily recording, generating events and pushing notifications to my phone. I'm running the latest firmware on all devices.

The only challenge I am having is with event detection tuning. I've tried a mix of basic motion detection, smart intrusion detection and line crossing detection but I find that it's either super sensitive (trigger by cats, reflections in car windows or condensation from my boiler flue) or completely ineffective, not even responding to cars driving into the detection zones. This became very apparent this week when we had an intruder which did not trigger an event, even though they clearly entered the detection zone, because I had tuned down the detection to reduce false alarms and it missed a real event.

I'd be very interested to hear other people's recommendations or experience in how they set their own system up and what success rates they have had as a result. I'm especially interested in any tips that might improve my own use of the system.

Thanks,

Daern

Hi all,

I'm a relatively new Hikvision user, running 3 x DS-2CD2155FWD domes and a DS-7604NI-K1 NVR. Install and setup was extremely straightforward and I have the thing happily recording, generating events and pushing notifications to my phone. I'm running the latest firmware on all devices.

The only challenge I am having is with event detection tuning. I've tried a mix of basic motion detection, smart intrusion detection and line crossing detection but I find that it's either super sensitive (trigger by cats, reflections in car windows or condensation from my boiler flue) or completely ineffective, not even responding to cars driving into the detection zones. This became very apparent this week when we had an intruder which did not trigger an event, even though they clearly entered the detection zone, because I had tuned down the detection to reduce false alarms and it missed a real event.

I'd be very interested to hear other people's recommendations or experience in how they set their own system up and what success rates they have had as a result. I'm especially interested in any tips that might improve my own use of the system.

Thanks,

Daern
Hi Daern, I have similar experiences with many cameras of the previous R6 and older generations. It takes a lot of experimenting in finding a decently robust motion detection parameter setting for each camera view. Hikvision is not bad compared to some other brands but it has some room for improvements. I have found dome cameras prone to IR bleeding through the dome or IR reflections from nearby surfaces - that could also impact the motion detection. Your NVR model is practical, responsive and reliable in small systems. If the fan makes too much noise, it runs cool enough with a SSD disk and fan disconnected. I have also used it with a low power HDD without fan (after carefully measuring the internal temperature, knowing that the warranty does not cover these kind of modifications)

Thanks Mal, much appreciated.

I'm not too worried about physical noise form mine as it lives in a comms cupboard with the structured cabling, routers and network switches.

Did you end up using just the "smart events" or the regular motion detection events?

Still occasionally checking how to improve the line crossing and intrusion detection. Regular motion detection creates too many false alarms.

Back