01304 827609 info@use-ip.co.uk Find us

Unable to flash bricked hikvision iDS-7216HQHI-M1/S DVR with Tftp?

Malk

i try to flash a bricked hikvision iDS-7216HQHI-M1/S with Tftp but i am unable to do so because the tftp server does not react at all
it only says TFTP server[192.0.0.128] initialized
nothing else
i have tried to connect directly to the dvr and with a router to no avail
it seems for some reason the dvr is not communicating with the tftp server

anyone has any idea what i should do?

i try to flash a bricked hikvision iDS-7216HQHI-M1/S with Tftp but i am unable to do so because the tftp server does not react at all
it only says TFTP server[192.0.0.128] initialized
nothing else
i have tried to connect directly to the dvr and with a router to no avail
it seems for some reason the dvr is not communicating with the tftp server

anyone has any idea what i should do?
Do you know what the TFTP client address is?

David

i assume it's 192.0.0.64
because that's the one im able to ping
TFTP recovery is best done using a direct ethernet cable connection between your laptop and DVR. The ethernet ports on your laptop and DVR will need to support auto crossover. If not you'll need to use a switch or a crossover cable.

I assume your DVR has automatically booted into TFTP recovery mode and has a static IP address of 192.0.0.64 with a subnet mask (SNM) of 255.255.255.0

The TFTP server and laptop static address is 192.0.0.128 SNM 255.255.255.0

Do you have a link to the TFTP recovery procedure you are following?

David

Last edited:
yes i have done this again now using a direct ethernet cable connection between my laptop and DVR
yes it seems my DVR has booted in recovery mode because it has 192.0.0.64 ip address and i can ping it
i have set The TFTP server and laptop static address is 192.0.0.128 SNM 255.255.255.0
no i don't have a link to the TFTP recovery procedure im following because for everyone else it seems to be a straight forward process but im running into an issue :(
here is picture of how the software looks when both devices are connected together and after rebooting the dvr it seems as if nothing happens as if the dvr is not attempting to connect with the tftp server

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    8.5 KB · Views: 91
yes i have done this again now using a direct ethernet cable connection between my laptop and DVR
yes it seems my DVR has booted in recovery mode because it has 192.0.0.64 ip address and i can ping it
i have set The TFTP server and laptop static address is 192.0.0.128 SNM 255.255.255.0
no i don't have a link to the TFTP recovery procedure im following because for everyone else it seems to be a straight forward process but im running into an issue :(
here is picture of how the software looks when both devices are connected together and after rebooting the dvr it seems as if nothing happens as if the dvr is not attempting to connect with the tftp server
I've never used the hikvision tftp server software, here are some suggestions.
Your tftp server is initialised but is not seeing any connect requests from the DVR.
make sure your wifi is disabled.
the firmware file (digicap.dav) should be in the same folder as the tftp.exe file. Make sure you have the right firmware file, uploading the wrong file could permanently brick your DVR.
laptop antivirus could be blocking the tftp protocol, temporarily disable it.

I found this YouTube video that may help you. Keep the direct cable connection.

Let me know how you get on.

David

I've never used the hikvision tftp server software, here are some suggestions.
Your tftp server is initialised but is not seeing any connect requests from the DVR.
make sure your wifi is disabled.
the firmware file (digicap.dav) should be in the same folder as the tftp.exe file. Make sure you have the right firmware file, uploading the wrong file could permanently brick your DVR.
laptop antivirus could be blocking the tftp protocol, temporarily disable it.

I found this YouTube video that may help you. Keep the direct cable connection.

Let me know how you get on.

David
yes my wifi is disabled i did exact same thing in the video and yes the digicap.dav is in the same folder
also i am running the program in compatibility mode windows xp
i also tried this on a different pc that had windows 7 but same issue the tftp server seems to not be getting the request from the dvr or something
i don't know what im missing
is there an alternative to the tftp software that hikvision uses?
seems my issue is super weird

I used this procedure twice to recover DS-KV6113WPE1 and this worked :

You need a USB to RS232 serial TTL adapter

But I as I have read on another thread I believe this is not possible for recently developed devices and firmwares. You need a procedure and a code from Hikvision

I used this procedure twice to recover DS-KV6113WPE1 and this worked :

You need a USB to RS232 serial TTL adapter

But I as I have read on another thread I believe this is not possible for recently developed devices and firmwares. You need a procedure and a code from Hikvision
problem is i don't have a TTL adapter

problem is i don't have a TTL adapter
@Malk,
This area is a bit of a minefield, there are 3V and 5V TTL adapters. Connect a 5V device Tx to a 3V device Rx and the 3V serial UART will blow. The NVR / DVR / IPCam serial interface PCB MTRJ connector pins are not marked. I've accessed my own NVR / cameras via the serial interface and stopped the boot process but never reloaded firmware. There are topics on the web with "programs" that will reflash firmware via the serial interface, I'd be wary of these.

To check for the TFTP protocol on your DVR you can use Wireshark. Monitor the DVR IP address during boot up and see what protocols are active. I think that Hikvision have made serial firmware reload more challenging.

Hi David

No power needed for the USB TTL adapter.
You just use in the right order Rx Tx and Ground

Hi David

No power needed for the USB TTL adapter.
You just use in the right order Rx Tx and Ground
I was referring to the logic voltage level differences. In most cases a 5V TTL output shouldn’t be connected to a 3.3V TTL input.

regardless im not looking for a solution that requires a TTL since those aren't easy to find where im from
i just want to know why my tftp server is not getting a connection from the dvr
and is that a common issue?

regardless im not looking for a solution that requires a TTL since those aren't easy to find where im from
i just want to know why my tftp server is not getting a connection from the dvr
and is that a common issue?
Did you see my post about testing with Wireshark?

Did you mean a USB to RS232 serial converter or a USB to serial TTL one?
This is a Silicon Labs CP210x USB to UART Bridge Virtual COM Port (VCP)

It is a Virtual Com port

Check this:

An older firmware or smaller size could also help

Check this:

An older firmware or smaller size could also help
i have tried that python 2 tftp server script and it also gets stuck in the waiting for client phase
does having a smaller firmware stop it from attempting tho?
because even if the firmware is larger the client should at least attempt to connect to the tftp server

Back