01304 827609 info@use-ip.co.uk Find us

Upgrading my 7 year old CCTV?

stu07940

Hi!

I currently have 2 Foscam FI9828P cameras at the front and rear of the house which are now pretty dated. The recordings are fired off to one of my NAS boxes. I have an EOP converter in the loft which sends the data to the router downstairs.

I’d like to simplify things a bit and get an NVR with POE cameras, although it’s a bit of a minefield out there.

Was almost ready to purchase some Reolink kit yesterday, but then stumbled across a US forum where they said to absolutely stay away from Reolink stuff, mainly due to the poor build quality and substandard night view footage quality.

Can someone recommend a good brand DVR and camera company? Won’t need more than 2/3 cameras so an 8 port would suffice, would like UHD 8/12MP, a 2TB HD would be ample for my needs. Although the Foscam cameras I have are PTZ, that wouldn’t be necessary, but would like a decent coverage area. I think they are currently at a height of 5.5m - 6m.

Have been looking at the M series Hikvision recently, although something I would like is Mac support and also a decent iOS app (iPad included if poss).

No specific budget, but something around £500-£600 for the DVR and 2 cameras would be roughly where I’d be aiming.

Thanks!

Hikvision is good. Look for cameras with acusense as that helps filter out false alarms. I am a Mac user and am getting on ok with the m series nvr. Colorvu 24x7 colour cameras are popular right now.

A height of 6m isn‘t going to get you a lot of detail, great for an overview of the scene but you could possibly be looking at peoples heads most of the time. Worth considering at least one camera lower down, maybe at a point of entry to your property to use for identification.

Back