01304 827609 info@use-ip.co.uk Find us

2CD2**6 vs 2CD2**5 for use in a nest box, much difference?

Kryten22uk

Been looking for a used bargain "powered by darkfighter" cam, and ideally it'd be a 2cd2046g2, but I'm seeing a lot of 2cd2045 models. I looked at the spec sheets which were similar, although the older '5' model has a larger sensor at 1/2.5" compared to the newer 6 model at 1/3".

What is primary difference between the 2**5 models and the 2**6 models?

Its for a nest box so primarily interested in low light performance. Got a 2086g2 already so familiar with the 6 performance, but can only find bargains on the 5 series.

i would stay away of both because 1/2.5 or 1/3 are bad size, you want 1/1.8 or under for good low light quality when you reach 4mp

the G2 is newer and is acusense which mean: Focus on human and vehicle targets classification based on deep learning

this alone, if i had to choose between the two, i would go with the g2 because less false trigger but at 1/3, dont expect much at night

As its a nest box I don't need any acusense stuff, so does that mean that I'd be better going for the older 5 series for the (ever so slightly) larger sensor? Or were there other upgrades in the 6? I already have the 6 in another box and am happy with the performance. Can't get a better size in the value Pro series.

Hi @Kryten22uk

As @spirch says, if you want the best low-light performance you want to use a camera with 1/1.8" sensor or larger like the DS-2CD2047G2-LU, but if you are looking for a cheaper solution then yes the 2045 would be an option (be aware though that the 2045FWD model has been obsolete/EOL for several years and won't be receiving any new firmware/support).

I can't go for the 2**7 ColorVu models as they don't have IR for night view. The colorvu's ambient white light at night would be very intrusive in a nest box, and without it, it would see nothing in pitch darkness.

Hi @Kryten22uk

When discussing the above cameras we are doing so thinking of them being used without any IR or White Light, in the small space of a bird box IR LEDs will be too bright and most of the detail will be overexposed by IR light.

Most 'proper' birdbox/wildlife cameras use lower power/shorter range IR LEDs than the CCTV cameras we sell which are designed for illuminating much larger areas.

It's a ferret nest box, and I've used ip cams for years, and they work great on IR. The ferrets can't see that wavelength so that's good too. The brightness of the IRs is adjustable but I find it's a good picture and not washed out or over bright. I get what you say and it's totally what u might expect, but for some reason it just works well.

Reactions: Dan
As well as what @Dan has mentioned, keep in mind that the image may look 'soft' as the focal point is intended to be further away. I'd find a used DS-2CD2325FWD-I 2MP Darkfighter. Low light performance is very good (better than the larger MP versions) and in some regards, such as visible noise in low light, I found they provide a much cleaner image. You don't need anything ending '6' - AcuSense is restricted to Human and Vehicle filtering currently with no plan to expand to Ferret!

Regarding the point of focus I'd be inclined to open the camera and manually adjust the lens to get the image pin sharp at the shorter distance if needed.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dan
Back