01304 827609 info@use-ip.co.uk Find us

Camera for inside my garage?

Capital_Singer

I have a Hikvision NVR (DS-7604N1-K1/4P(B)) and wish to add a camera inside my garage. this was previously covered by a cheap Wi-Fi camera but they are becoming increasingly unreliable so I think it would be better for me to add a camera to my existing NVR. cable route to the garage is not possible, but it can get Wi-Fi no problem. which camera is best suited to the garage and what do I need to buy to make it connect to Wi-Fi?

I have a Hikvision NVR (DS-7604N1-K1/4P(B)) and wish to add a camera inside my garage. this was previously covered by a cheap Wi-Fi camera but they are becoming increasingly unreliable so I think it would be better for me to add a camera to my existing NVR. cable route to the garage is not possible, but it can get Wi-Fi no problem. which camera is best suited to the garage and what do I need to buy to make it connect to Wi-Fi?
Is your garage connected to the house electrical supply? If so it may be possible to use power over ethernet adapters from TP-Link. If your camera is PoE you'll also need a PoE switch or injector.

There are wifi access points that include ethernet ports, the wifi link will need to be stable and provide enough bandwidth for the wifi link and camera to work properly.

garage has an electrical supply yes, I did try powerline extenders to attempt to link my NVR(in the loft) to the router downstairs but as they are on different circuits it didn't work so I had to run an ethernet cable.
garage would have the same issue I think, everything is on separate circuits/RCBO's or RCD's
I will try it today though as I have a pair of the extenders
what do I need to link between, the NVR and the garage? or the router and the garage (much closer and probably easier)

garage has an electrical supply yes, I did try powerline extenders to attempt to link my NVR(in the loft) to the router downstairs but as they are on different circuits it didn't work so I had to run an ethernet cable.
As long as the garage electrical socket goes to the same mains distribution that supplies the house it should be ok. Nearby switch mode power supplies can cause problems as cheap ones can be electrically noisy. This can interfere with the signal between the power over ethernet adaptors.

what do I need to link between, the NVR and the garage? or the router and the garage (much closer and probably easier)
what sort of distance and is there a clear line of sight with no large obstacles blocking the wifi signal between the router and garage. Allow for bushes in full leaf as leaves can disrupt 2.4G and 5G wifi. Good planning at this stage will prevent a poor unstable wifi link.

I've tested the powerline adapters and they work, can get internet using them in the garage.
the garage is 5m from the house. probably 10m point to point where the NVR is in the loft to the garage , obviously there's a roof and a garage wall in the way so no direct line of sight

would this camera be suitable? 4MP Hikvision DS-2CD2743G0-IZS Motorised Zoom Dome IP Camera - Grey - (Half Price) - Offer
and is this the right PoE injector? NEW! Ubiquiti POE-24-12W 24V 12W Fast Ethernet Poe Injector UniFi/Nanostation | eBay

What about this one, I bought it last night as it was cheap
that's ok. Your camera requires around 12W at 48Vdc and the PoE+ injector offers 30W at 48Vdc.

The first PoE injector was for 24Vdc, the PoE area is a minefield.

What upload / download data rates are you getting across the power over ethernet link?

David

not sure on the download speeds, I did try and do a speedtest but it didn't work for some reason. I normally just type speedtest in google and click on the blue button that appears, but it didn't work?
I just tried a few websites, watched a youtube video and it seemed fine. I also used the powerline adapters to replace the internet feed from my router to the NVR in the loft and left that plugged in all day, I checked it a few times and it always seemed to work fine

I've just tried to set it up but have hit a problem, can't seem to download the SADP tool. it says "code execution cannot proceed MSVR120.dll not found, reinstalling may fix this problem" and I've tried to reinstall it but it didn't work
when I log into my NVR it's there which is good, but I can't see it from Hik-Connect

I've just tried to set it up but have hit a problem, can't seem to download the SADP tool. it says "code execution cannot proceed MSVR120.dll not found, reinstalling may fix this problem" and I've tried to reinstall it but it didn't work
when I log into my NVR it's there which is good, but I can't see it from Hik-Connect

See if this helps (it's a good link to Microsoft forums, not sure why it's labeled "redirecting"):

thanks I have managed to get the SADP tool up and running and it's found the camera but I can't seem to do anything with it as I either don't know the password or are doing something wrong. in the YouTube videos I'm watching it says the camera should be un activated at the start and it shows how to activate it, but mine already says activated...?

I'm lost now I have no idea what to do. I reset the camera and set it up from new and now I can't see it at all on the NVR. I have absolutely no idea where to start there are so many guides and they are all doing it in a different way

I'm lost now I have no idea what to do. I reset the camera and set it up from new and now I can't see it at all on the NVR. I have absolutely no idea where to start there are so many guides and they are all doing it in a different way
Go do something else, return with a fresh mind.

Remind me, does your camera connect direct to the back of the NVR or your LAN?

David

Picture attached of how it's set up. the 3 existing cameras are connected with ethernet cable, NVR hard is also connected to router with ethernet cable.

I didn't actually do anything since last time but it has appeared back on the NVR now, however still not connected to HikConnect so I can't view from my phone

Attachments

• cameras.png
    cameras.png
    17.4 KB · Views: 124
however still not connected to HikConnect so I can't view from my phone
The garage (new) camera is missing from your hikconnect app?

Is your phone connected to your home router wifi network or remote wifi / 4G network via your HikConnect account?

If you login to your hikconnect account can you see all your cameras there?

David

inexplicably, the garage cam just appeared in Hik-Connect. I just had a browse in the app and it just popped up. so everything seems ok for now I think. the way I have connected the powerline adapter in my house(directly to the NVR) is that really necessary, or could I connect the powerline adapter directly to my router downstairs, would mean a shorter distance? I think from watching some videos that possible but could be wrong...

I'd rather have my camera on the hidden subnet of the NVR than on my router. Just my 2 cents.

Back