01304 827609 info@use-ip.co.uk Find us

Do I need a new NVR?

JDFx17

Hi all.

I currently have a DS-7608NI-I2/8P at work that is now over 6 years old. It has been very problem free until recent. Last year I looked at it and found the firmware to be years out of date. I tried to bring it up to the latest firmware, which at the time was V4.50.010, but I could only get as far as V4.40.015. Any newer version would cause it to crash as soon as it booted. So i left it on V4.40.015 for the last year and have had no issues with it.

I have recently gone to upgrade some of our cameras. I started with 2 which were both old cameras - DS-2DE5220IW-AE. I changed these out to DS-2CD2386G2-ISU/SL. These are what I have at home with the same NVR. Since installing I have found a few issues -
  • One of the cameras always has "no resource" on the live screen on the NVR. If I switch to sub stream it will work.
  • Both cameras show "no resource" if I try to watch any playback on the NVR. I can watch them back on the browser okay but not the NVR
I then decided to try upgraded the firmware again. I had a bit of better luck this time and got up to V4.60.005 but then when I tried V4.61.000 I got stuck in a boot loop again. I ended up having to go all the way back to V3.3.9 via the recovery tool and slowly work my way back up from there. I have currently left it on V4.50.000 which has been fine, but as I type this it has crashed whilst I was changing some settings. So in the meantime I think I will go back to V4.40.015.

Do you think the NVR is on the way out? I'm not sure what the lifespan of them is, as I say it is just over 6 years.

But looking at upgrade options. Can anyone advise -
  • For 8 channel, what benefit would I see getting DS-7608NXI-I2/8P/S over DS-7608NI-I2/8P (B). Does the first only give AcuSense to non-AcuSense cameras - ie there is no other advantages?
  • How many DS-2CD2386G2-ISU/SL cameras can I use full res fine on an 8 channel? Or would I be better getting higher bandwidth with a 16 channel?
Thanks

Hi @JDFx17

Your NVRs behaviour does seem very erratic and it may suggest that there is some fault with it, the NVRs have a 3-year warranty but sometimes they can fail within 3 years, sometimes just after 3 years, or sometimes like in your case they can go for 6, 8, 10 years and then go faulty. It sounds like in your case it might only be a partial failure where some small hardware component has failed and this is causing the issues you are seeing.

In regards to a replacement, both the 7608NXI AcuSense NVR and the 7608NI I-series NVR can support AcuSense cameras, the only difference is that the AcuSense model can support adding the AcuSense features to up to 4 x non-AcuSense cameras. This is explained in more detail in this forum thread

The 8MP AcuSense cameras do use more bandwidth than traditional 8MP cameras, we have seen them use up to 20-25Mbps so you will likely only be able to run up to 3 x 8MP AcuSense cameras on the 8ch as it only supports up to 80Mbps of incoming bandwidth. If you want to run more than 3 x 8MP AcuSense cameras then the 16ch NVR is probably a good option (supports up to 160Mbps).

Back