01304 827609 info@use-ip.co.uk Find us

Does object need to exceed both 'Min Size' dimensions simultaneously?

khalo

Hello,

I've been tweaking the Min Size for objects and I'm unsure of something which I can't find an answer for:

To trigger an alert, does an object need to exceed BOTH dimensions simultaneously? Or will an alert trigger if the object is only larger than one (e.g. man is taller than min-height but slimmer than min-width)?

My preference would be the latter so I could set the min-height for a human and then set min-width to exclude a fox which from camera perspective could be wider than you'd set for a human.

Last edited:
Solution
Hi @khalo

The Min/max boxes basically work as brackets, the event should only trigger if an object larger than the min box but smaller than the max box enters the detection area.

So if you want the camera to mostly only trigger on humans but not trigger on small animals like foxes, then you will need to draw a max box that is slightly larger than a human and a min box that is slightly larger than a fox, this would then mean that foxes and other small animals smaller than the min box would not trigger the event while humans who are larger than the min but smaller than the max should trigger the smart event.
Hi @khalo

The Min/max boxes basically work as brackets, the event should only trigger if an object larger than the min box but smaller than the max box enters the detection area.

So if you want the camera to mostly only trigger on humans but not trigger on small animals like foxes, then you will need to draw a max box that is slightly larger than a human and a min box that is slightly larger than a fox, this would then mean that foxes and other small animals smaller than the min box would not trigger the event while humans who are larger than the min but smaller than the max should trigger the smart event.

Upvote 1
Solution
I understand the general principle of the min and max boxes but my question is more specifically regarding the min box.

The challenge is that based on camera angle, a fox can be rectangular horizentally while a human vertically. So if I set a suitable min-size width for a human, that will actually be smaller than a fox.

So to my key question, is an object considered larger than the min-box based on both height and width of the box being exceeded simultaneously or just either dimension?

Upvote 0
Okay,

As far as we are aware, the min box works by not triggering the smart event if an object fits inside of the box you've drawn, if the object is larger than the box in any way (e.g. taller or wider) I think it probably would trigger the event. We can't say for sure because Hikvision has never provided this level of detail when breaking down how this setting works, we could only recommend that you try out different shapes/sizes to see what does and doesn't trigger the smart event.

Some other users on here who have played around with this setting more than we have might be able to share their own experiences.

Upvote 0
if the object is larger than the box in any way (e.g. taller or wider) I think it probably would trigger the event.

This is what I'm hoping for and yeah, perhaps others here might have some insight from their experiences.

because Hikvision has never provided this level of detail

Thanks, I guess this is why I struggled and so don't have to feel too stupid now!

Reactions: Dan
Upvote 0
Back