01304 827609 info@use-ip.co.uk Find us

DS-2CD2042WD-I Bullet Camera - Glass cracked/Moisture Ingress after being Installed for 4 Years

Jan J

Centurion!
Trusted Member
Noticed a slight fogging on one outside camera... There is a hairline crack in glass on front of camera!

Replaced with spare camera... Opened up to completely dry electrical contents.... All electrical components are OK....

Is there a place I can purchase replacement Glass, or complete metal & Glass front end for a 2CD2042WD-1 camera?

Found a guy on Ebay who can cut custom sized glass disc's! 2 + Shipping for $11
After all glass & glue removed from inside.... I will silicone glue glass to front of camera enclosure to the flat area....
I measure 52.3mm in diameter, which I believe is 2.05 Inches is the size of the front of the camera flat area.... The lens 'shield' will be glued to back of glass first....

I'll post if it works!!!

Last edited:
Complete Success!
2 step process after clean and drying custom cut glass disc:
First, super glue lens cover on center of glass.... when dry, flip glass over and silicon glue glass disc to front of camera.... Tested inside for Night vision LED flare, and it seems OK. Presently on tripod on porch during daylight... (I swapped a 16MM lens replacing the 4MM that was there... So I'm testing 2 things simultaneously!)
So far, so good! Will probably swap it with a 12MM Camera...... and if Night Vision LED's cause excessive Flaring, I'll turn off Night Vision LED's, cause the image camera will aim toward is 200' and further away, which far exceeds Night Vision LED Range anyway.....
Edit: Installed cam. Will check for IR Flare later tonight.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dan
Gotta be honest, am getting some flaring from IR LEDS at night. Minimized a fair amount by reducing IR Level, but not totally. Will be interested in procuring a dead camera for its front cover for 100% optimum nighttime operation, but target far exceeds IR Range, so not much to detect anyway. But compared to not having a camera there at all…
Looks fine during day.

Last edited:
Learning as I go: This morning noticed a glare on camera with replaced glass. By shielding hand in front of camera realized it’s coming from edge of glass on outside. Early morning sunlight. Couple applications of black paint fixed it! (Next day determined that though that helped, an extended lens shield was also necessary to completely remove early morning glare from sun.... Thin black plastic sheet, silicone glued and held with rubber bands COMPLETELY FIXED this issue.....
Yeah.... I'm Learning about "Home-Made optics as I go!

Last edited:
Yeah, as spring progresses there are now 2 cameras doing it. Both new Cameras installed in early March. Both face E-SE and it’s now late April! Duh! Both also now have thin black plastic lens shields made out of lid from large coffee container. Passed the night IR Test tonight. Tomorrow AM will be the flaring final exam!

Here’s something I hadn’t expected!
Was at a Lowes store today (‘Big Box’ store selling all types of electrical, plumbing wood, etc for the home).
I just happened to have a 2CD2042WD-1 that was given me. In plumbing area, saw some black PVC tubing and thought: it’s same size as camera! Actually no, not the pipe itself, but the slide on ‘joining piece’ is just perfect. Slides smoothly over camera body. Great to make a lens glare shield!

Back