01304 827609 info@use-ip.co.uk Find us

HikVision Firmware update V5.50

Phil

Administrator
Staff member
I've just spotted a new firmware version for HikVision's two most recent camera families.

The G1 platform is the latest range, commonly known as EasyIP 3.0:
HikVision G1 Platform / EasyIP 3.0 latest firmware (V5.50) - dated 24th September

The R6 Family was the prior bestselling range:
HikVision R6 Family latest firmware (V5.50) - dated 24th Sept 2017

Please check the ReadMe file associated with each firmware release to:
a) Confirm that your camera model is mentioned and therefore you have selected the correct firmware
b) Check what changes and updates have been made
c) Check for notifications stating that any features have been removed

NB
HikVision's V5.5.3 Firmware for the G1 Family cameras supersedes this:
https://forum.use-ip.co.uk/threads/hikvision-easyip-3-0-cameras-new-v5-5-3-g1-series-cameras.1408/

Last edited:
Please note
Your HikVision App, or even their Hik-Connect.com web portal, may falsely report that you are on the latest available firmware version.
This is a known problem.
You do need to visit their portal and manually check whether there is a newer version of firmware for your device.

When I try to update my Hikvision DS-2CD2142FWD-I or other Hikvision cameras. The Firmware Browse and Firmware Directory Browse button seems to be a dead link, thus I can't load the firmware to upgrade. I have tried this on Edge, Chrome and Firefox, but with no joy. Also have blockers disabled. I am on 5.3.6. Any thoughts on why they may be not working.
Thanks
DL

Please use Internet Explorer (not Edge)

update to En_V5.5.0 170725 from update from 5.4.5_170124 makes Model :- -->DS-2CD2342WD-I DONT DO IT !!

Hi There Pete,
Hope your're well..

Yes as it goes, & I have also just send an email to Phil, with regards to it, on the back of email advising customers to upgrade to latest Hikvision firmware due to a wave of cyberattacks being received.

I updated to unit to the suggested _ R6 En_V5.5.0 170725 update from 5.4.5_170124

http://bit.ly/2yfJq94

I cannot now see any #liveview as it fails now, nor click anything in the configuration section to revert the firmware or anything - what can you propose as the next step now that the camera does not display or function? I can login and out and thats about it. It quite ridiculous

I am always cautious with firmware upgrades for any devices especially routers and cameras and only decided to reluctantly carry this out due to the nature of the recommendation. I cannot tell how frustrating this is currently, considering this was only bought from yourselves in May to upgrade a previous Vivotek bought from yourselves that worked faultless since 2011. I am awaiting a response from Useip team on my options to make this to usable state. I cannot understand why a simple firmware update following all the document checks can go wrong, As improbable as it sounds, It almost seems HikVision released a faulty update intentionally . I cannot replace this unit with that of a Samsung that is now being promoted by Useip due to Hikvision Global changes as this particular has been absolutely perfect for the purpose up until this update

Can you advise if there is a trend being reported currently or does this appear to be a one-off on this model thus far?

Many Thanks
satyp

Hello Saty, sorry I didn't see this / respond sooner.
I have also replied to your email.
I've updated all of our demo cameras without any problems.
Because we were genuinely getting reports of customer's HikVision cameras being hacked (resetting / unable to access them) we needed to take some action to warn and advise our customers, and hopefully prevent avoidable hassle and stress.
HikVision also released a brand new V5.50 firmware - which I first spotted on the 28th September.
So it seemed the best time (having checked that firmware) to warn / advise all our customers to update.

The email blast went to over 3,000 customers.
So far (two days later) it has gone well, maybe a dozen or so requests for help e.g. confirmation of which firmware to select from the portal for their device models and/or guidance on how to update:
https://forum.use-ip.co.uk/threads/how-to-update-hikvision-firmware.1323/

Hi everybody,
I am brand new in this forum and I would like to share my bad experience wth the upgrade.
I have upgraded from 5.4.5 to 5.5.0 in two cameras:
DS-2CD2542FWD-IW and DS-2CD2442FWD-IW
Both have stopped working.
The main issue is they are not reachable any longer.
The first one is wired with PoE and the second one is wireless.
Both are not able to connect to the network any longer!!!
Please help...

Regards
Ugo

Please run HikVision's SADP utility on your PC and verify the current IP addresses for your cameras.
The latest version of SADP is available here:
DOWNLOAD PORTAL

In the last 2 weeks I've had over 50 sites get hacked. They apparently are hacking port 8000 then sending a signal through the router to reset all cameras that are on other ports. Hikvision will not help Camera owners or acknowledge this is happening.

A vulnerability which HikVision dealt with back in March 2017 has recently been fully disclosed - details here:
https://forum.use-ip.co.uk/threads/hikvision-firmware-updates-backdoor-exploit-fully-disclosed.1296/

Unfortunately, this full disclosure has resulted in a wave of attacks.

We recommend that you update all of your devices to the latest available firmware version (V5.50 for the two most recent series of cameras).
We contacted all of our customers via social media and a mass email with this advice last week.

Thank you Phil,
I managed to get access to both cameras also without SADP, just disabling the IP address reservation on the router.
This is what happened:
Both cameras were set on DHCP. On the router a preferred IP address is assigned to each network MAC Adress, so I can handle the camera's IP adrees from a single point.
After upgrading to 5.5.0 this was not accepted any longer.
I had to disable the pereferred IP address, let DHCP run again rebooting the cameras, identify the new IP address and then log in into the camera again and set a Static IP address.
This is pretty cumbersome and I am not sure I will upgrade the rest of the cameras if there are such drawbacks.
Maybe a new firmware will be released soon.

BTW, the connection to the ipgrades cameras through iVMS-4500 on iOS is now very slow and often fails...

Thanks for your support
Regards
ugo

meh - no 5.5 for R0 users yet
looks like the shuffle with the products means support dying off for the older models.

use-ip - for those of us thinking of segregating and securing our networks - would you recommend the use of VLANS to avoid exploitable vulnerabilities in these devices?

ta.

Last edited:
Hi,
Fully securing your networks and devices is complex - over 40 pages of best-practice 'hardening' recommendations from HikVision & Axis here:

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi all,

I've upgraded one of my cameras connected to a NVR DS-7608NI-K2/8p to V5.5.0. The camera, a DS-2CD2135FWD-IS, was running v5.4.5_170124 and I installed v5.5.0_170725 from IPC_G1_EN_STD_5.5.0_170725. According to the release notes my camera is compatible with this version.

However, after the upgrade and subsequent reboot the Configuration menu is corrupted. I'm not able to select any of the configuration items (and so not able to revert back to the previous version). I've done a hard reset using the button in the camera but the Configuration menu stays corrupted. The NVR is able to connect to the camera again (Plug&Play), Live View is working and the recorder is able to record images, just the camera's own Configuration menu fails. (yes, I am using IE)

Any suggestions?

configuration menu after fw upgrade to v550.JPG

Hi all,

I've upgraded one of my cameras connected to a NVR DS-7608NI-K2/8p to V5.5.0. The camera, a DS-2CD2135FWD-IS, was running v5.4.5_170124 and I installed v5.5.0_170725 from IPC_G1_EN_STD_5.5.0_170725. According to the release notes my camera is compatible with this version.

However, after the upgrade and subsequent reboot the Configuration menu is corrupted. I'm not able to select any of the configuration items (and so not able to revert back to the previous version). I've done a hard reset using the button in the camera but the Configuration menu stays corrupted. The NVR is able to connect to the camera again (Plug&Play), Live View is working and the recorder is able to record images, just the camera's own Configuration menu fails. (yes, I am using IE)

Any suggestions?

Update: interestingly the menu goes back to normal when I bypass the NVR and physically connect the camera directly to the home network, after hard reset. When I reconnect the camera to the NVR (hard resetting again) and approach it through Virtual Host from the NVR's System/Camera Management screen the Configuration page goes haywire again. Could there be a compatibility issue with V5.5.0 and the firmware of the NVR?

Back