01304 827609 info@use-ip.co.uk Find us

Firmware Turret Cam Firmware Version on Product Pages?

pazz

First post but I've been a customer for a while and have up until not felt compelled to do anything other than read the content of this excellent forum.

Although I've not been experiencing any significant issues with my system, I decided to check whether there were any firmware updates for my NVR or Cameras this morning. I navigated my way through the usual Hikvision Software portal to my NVR and Cameras and confirmed that no updates were available. All is well I thought. However whilst curiously looking at Hikvision latest turret cameras, I noticed that the product page for my current model DS-2CD2386G2-I(U) listed a firmware version that was much newer than my current and therefore, also the version on their portal.

Current: V5.5.801 build 211105
Portal Latest: V5.5.801 build 211105
Product Page: V5.7.13 build 230706

So naturally, I downloaded the newer firmware and tried to install to receive the mis-match error.

Am I going mad?

Also if anyone has any first hand experience of the newer DS-2CD2387G2-LU, I'd be interested in hearing them.

Many thanks.

Hi @pazz

Your firmware confusion is understandable, what it comes down to is that there are 2 hardware/software generations of the camera you have.

The units you have are older G3 models which use the G3 Platform firmware, the current model shown on the Hikvision website is a newer (C) G5 model which uses the G5 Platform firmware.

Thanks Dan. Is there much point in considering upgrading to the G5 model?

The cost to upgrade will be significant for the number of cameras I'd need to replace and it's only a domestic use case.

Hi @pazz

The latest G5 (C) models do offer some unique features like Hybrid Light and Live-Guard, but the basic hardware/software is very similar so if you are happy enough with the images/performance you are getting from the G3 models I don't think you would see a massive improvement with the G5 models.

You could always just try replacing 1 or 2 cameras if you just want to see if there is any difference/improvement.

Back