01304 827609 info@use-ip.co.uk Find us

myposbussie

Hello everyone,

I've been struggling with a camera setup issue and I'm hoping to get some assistance. I recently purchased a DS-2CD2147G2-SU camera with the intention of using its facial comparison feature in my shop. The idea was to identify individuals, especially potential shoplifters, and have their faces stored in the camera's picture library. If these individuals return, the camera would notify my Hik-connect app.

However, I encountered some challenges when I tried to set it up. I connected the camera to my old DS-7216HGHI-F1/N DVR for recording but realized that my DVR doesn't support facial comparison. Furthermore, I couldn't get the camera to work as a standalone unit.

After researching online, I learned that I might need a 7700 series NVR to achieve my goal. I saved up and purchased the NVR, thinking it was time to upgrade my old DVR and perimeter cameras. To my disappointment, I found out that the NVR can either support facial comparison or smart events like line crossing, but not both.

Now, I'm back to trying to add the facial camera to IVMS 4200 and use it as a standalone unit because I cannot abandon the line-crossing functionality.

Is there a way to configure these two devices (DS-2CD2147G2-SU camera and the 7700 series NVR) to simultaneously support facial comparisons and line-crossing detection?

Any guidance or assistance in maximizing the capabilities of these products would be greatly appreciated.

Another issue I'm facing with the 7700 series NVR is that it notifies me when my dogs cross the line, even though I've selected it to only notify me when a human crosses the line. Is there any way to adjust the algorithm so that I can inform the system when it makes a wrong event detection, helping it to learn and improve?

Thanks.

Hi @myposbussie

Unfortunately, there is no way to use the face detection feature on the camera without disabling the smart event options like intrusion detection.
(The face detection is built into the camera itself, but only the newer NVR menus support using it through an NVR.)

You should still be able to use motion detection with the human and vehicle filter if that works for you?

Are you using the newest firmware for your cameras, which is V5.7.13_230706?
There's no way to adjust the algorithm, but this is improved with each update, so newer firmware might help the performance if yours is out of date.

I should have added...
Your camera only has face detection built-in, so it will not compare an image of people's faces against a saved database and alert you on a match, it will only alert you when any face is detected.
What is the full model number of your NVR please? If it's a Deepinmind model with "face recognition", it will do this, and that technology is built into the NVR, so you should also be able to use the camera's intrusion detection (you may need to log into it directly and change the "VCA resource" to "Smart Event").

Screenshot 2023-09-04 151341.png

Hi @myposbussie

Unfortunately, there is no way to use the face detection feature on the camera without disabling the smart event options like intrusion detection.
(The face detection is built into the camera itself, but only the newer NVR menus support using it through an NVR.)

You should still be able to use motion detection with the human and vehicle filter if that works for you?

Are you using the newest firmware for your cameras, which is V5.7.13_230706?
There's no way to adjust the algorithm, but this is improved with each update, so newer firmware might help the performance if yours is out of date.
Hi Kyle, thanks for the reply.

So my camera is running the following firmware: V5.7.3 build 220216

I should have added...
Your camera only has face detection built-in, so it will not compare an image of people's faces against a saved database and alert you on a match, it will only alert you when any face is detected.
What is the full model number of your NVR please? If it's a Deepinmind model with "face recognition", it will do this, and that technology is built into the NVR, so you should also be able to use the camera's intrusion detection (you may need to log into it directly and change the "VCA resource" to "Smart Event").

View attachment 9742
My NVR model number is DS-7716NXI-I4/S

I have this one facial camera connected to it and 7 x DS-2CD2622FWD-I that protects the perimeter.

I recommend updating your cameras to the newest version, which is available at the bottom of this page:

As well as your NVR firmware, which can be downloaded on this page - check if yours is a (C) or (E) model, which will be on the label of the NVR:

Here are the instructions for updating firmware:

Then, you should be able to use facial recognition by using the NVR's built-in analytics, and the line crossing using the smart event capabilities built into the camera:
  1. In a web browser, go to Configuration>System>VCA Configuration>Engine Configuration, and make sure the Mode is set to Facial Recognition.
  2. Set up the facial recognition on the camera.
  3. Go to your smart event settings, and make sure that Enable AI by Device is disabled, which means that the camera's built-in AI will be used - this should allow you to set up the smart events.

Last edited:
Hi Kyle,

Thanks for the help but I am still stuck. I have attached a screenshot of the error that I am receiving. As I understand it there is no resources on the camera to determine between human or not, and on the basic event motion there is also no tick box for human detection.
Please help as this nvr is making me crazy, I even tried changing the engine mode to perimeter protection and then i enabled the ai by device but still i am getting false alarms of dogs and sheep and not only human.

Attachments

• error.jpg
    error.jpg
    124.2 KB · Views: 82
Back