01304 827609 info@use-ip.co.uk Find us

Line detection sending notification when crossing both directions when only setup to alert in 1 direction

saunders1989

Hi,

I have line crossing detection setup on my driveway and only want it to alert me in a certain direction from A->B as you can see in my picture. I am however getting notifications when someone crosses from B->A. I have this smart even setup on my NVR which is DS-7608NI-I2 / 8P and running firmware V4.51.025 build 210927. The camera in question is DS-2CD2387G2-LU running firmware V5.7.1 build 211009. This used to be more of an issue at night but it also happened today when someone crossed from A->B and got a notification but as they walked away from the house it also alerted me. What can I do to stop getting notifications when crossing from B->A when they shouldn't be happening at all.

The only additional information I can give is it seems to be when I am taking the dog out from the house I get the notification about a line crossing. Does the camera think because the dog has walked into the area of A and I am still in area B that I must have crossed it so send a notification?

I have tweaked sensitivity but have had no luck. I have moved the line in many different places and still get the same results. I know the min box is far smaller than a human is but I don't think that is the problem.

line-crossing.jpg

Last edited:
What you've said is feasible, although I will say that I have one of mine set one way to cover a rear garden wall and it triggers both ways. It won't be helpful in your scenario due to the camera position, but line crossing is most accurate/effective when the line is positioned vertically - so that the target crosses left>right or right>left. It's nowhere near as effective when the target is moving toward or away from the camera - possibly due to perspective and the relative target size altering.

Ah okay thank you for that nugget of info about the line working best when it is vertical. I’m now trying to work out the best position and hopefully have the false alarms reduced.

Hi @JB1970 I have tried changing the line to vertical but when I crossed the line this evening it didn't send an event. I have the sensitivity set to 55. Should I be using a different type of event in this instance?

1638914655152.png

Hi @JB1970 I have tried changing the line to vertical but when I crossed the line this evening it didn't send an event. I have the sensitivity set to 55. Should I be using a different type of event in this instance?

View attachment 7035
That should be fine. There should be no need to use another type of analytic. I’d maybe increase the sensitivity. Also I’m aware there’s a bug on some browsers where the line direction gets flipped (when comparing between browser and local menu A and B appear on opposite sides of the line), so just to be sure set it bi directionally at first (I always set it via the NVR local menu to avoid the issue)

Okay thanks. Yer I always set it via the NVR but will set it to bi directionally to make sure. Will increase sensitivity also and hope this starts catching results i expect to get.

Back