01304 827609 info@use-ip.co.uk Find us

Networking or PoE forum question?

nitrous

I am currently wiring up my CCTV network (PoE based) and have a question I suspect others may have asked and answered.
I want to locate the NVR in the basement corner where one of my internet modems is located.

The problem is that the majority of cameras (at the front) are long runs from the corner where the NVR will reside. I'm wondering if putting a PoE switch at the front to take care of the front cameras and wiring the cameras at the back of the house directly into the NVR. My real question relates to speed and reliabiity. Is there anything intrinsically bad with this approach? Am I creating more trouble for myself?

Thanks
Doug

pretty basic. 4 cameras at the front/side and 2-3 at the back.
Thanks for replying!
Doug

Then there shouldn't be any issue running the cameras on a PoE switch

the only time you might run into issues is if you have a lot more cameras (16+) and/or you are in a remote location with very weak/slow internet.

I am currently wiring up my CCTV network (PoE based) and have a question I suspect others may have asked and answered.
I want to locate the NVR in the basement corner where one of my internet modems is located.

The problem is that the majority of cameras (at the front) are long runs from the corner where the NVR will reside. I'm wondering if putting a PoE switch at the front to take care of the front cameras and wiring the cameras at the back of the house directly into the NVR. My real question relates to speed and reliabiity. Is there anything intrinsically bad with this approach? Am I creating more trouble for myself?

Thanks
Doug
Hi Doug, for years I've had 12 IP cameras connected to 2 poe switches. Never had any real problems.

Back