01304 827609 info@use-ip.co.uk Find us

New M series and setting up platform access?

Sunnysideup

I have been reading through a lot of the posts here and learning a lot. I hope someone can explain some things to me. The last time I had an HIK nvr was prob 9 years ago and I got alerts through email only

I have an DS-7616NI-M2 16ch running FW 4.63.006 build 23056

Backstory is I setup my router to port forward just the service port and rtsp port. I also setup a DDNS name. On my NVR I have a static address, DNS in there etc etc. Well all works great. Can access everything just fine using the HIK app and using the DDNS name. Added to wife's phone and she's happy. Well then I started wanting alerts which of course I wasn't getting this way.

On my NVR under Network and Basic I have the port numbers changed after reading its a best practice to use different ones. Then I went to platform access and set it to HIK-Connect, added the server address, stream encryption, password etc. Protocol is 2 because if I try 3 it reboots and nothing works remotely.

I created an HIK-Connect account, added the serial and it shows up in the NVR and the portal site as Online. My cams also show up in the android app. All of this works fine. Here is the issue, how do I reliably get the thumbnail images? I get motion alerts just fine. They never miss. Every great once in a while as in like 5 out of 70 alerts I get a thumbnail image. When I get an alert I click it, it shows an Hikvision logo in the thumbnail window and then they all show a broken looking picture that says Loading pictures failed. If I click playback on anything they all play just fine. Just having issues with thumbnails. Like I said, they do come through sometimes but very rarely. Earlier this morning I clicked notifications and thumbnails just starting appearing. Now they are gone again. Haven't changed anything.

One of the things I am confused about is the P2P setup. I do not have upnp turned on anywhere. Its off on router also. I do still have the two ports forwarded and my wife using the app with the DDNS name. She doesn't want alerts etc.
---
Ok when I look at network then basic config \ port no tab I have all 6 ports using different numbers. The service port and rtsp are the ones I am port forwarding on my router.
Ok when I look at port mapping tab I have the upnp off. My understanding is that neither upnp or port forwarding are needed for p2p service? So I should not need to turn this on? These ports do point to the one on the Port No tab but the status column on the right says Invalid. Even if I turn on upnp everywhere nothing changes. Am I supposed to do anything on this tab?

When I look at the portal site for my hik-connect app and click edit I have to pick UpNp Mode Auto or manual. IF I select Auto it is detecting the port numbers from the Port mapping tab that says Invalid. If I select manual I need to put in the port numbers from the Port No tab instead. IM CONFUSED. Why do I have to do anything with upnp?

Then on the HIK-Connect app where I see my serial number and you go into settings it shows serial as device name, port mapping is manual and I have the port numbers again from the Network \ Basic Config section. Is this correct? Or is it supposed to be from the Port mapping section instead? None of this is in the help guide.

Sorry for the long type out. Can anyone assist me in what I need to change if anything or are the thumbnails just not supposed to work?

THX!

For P2P you don't need the 'Port Mapping' in the NVR on. Annoyingly when you enable Hik-Connect in Platform Access, it turns it on automatically so you have to switch it off again (I've no idea why). Also you don't need port forwarding in the router so can disable those port forward rules. The point of P2P is that UPNP and Port Forwarding etc is not needed. You don't need DDNS either. Currently your wife connects using those forwarded ports. You could get around that be creating an account for her, sharing the NVR to her from your app and then just silence the alerts in her app. That's how I have mine setup for my wife.

I think sometimes Hik-Connect setup gets over complicated for some. When I install a new NVR I just:

• Create the Hik-Connect account in the app and login (if customer does not already have account)
  • In NVR - Enable Hik-Connect under Platform Access
  • In NVR - Turn off Port Mapping
  • Turn off WiFi temporarily on phone
  • Scan the QR code or enter the serial number in the Hik-Connect phone app (entering verification code if requested)
Not sure why you're having issues with the thumbnails but I also have different port numbers etc and all works without issue. Perhaps do the following:
  • Reboot the NVR
  • Wait 5 minutes - reboot the router (to clear existing connections)
  • Wait 5 minutes - logout of your app, close it completely, open it, log back in

Thanks. Ok I can turn off that port forwarding in the router no problem.

Then on the NVR, I dont need to do anything with the port mapping. I had previously changed these ports and right now it shows upnp as off and the port mapping mode is set to auto but its greyed out.

I have turned off the Enable DDNS under Basic.

Ok in the app on my phone where I select the entry that has my serial, under settings there is a section call DDNS, do I remove that? I am guessing it pulls over when scanning the QR code from the NVR because I had DDNS turned on?

In the HIK-Connect portal site, what do I set where you click edit and have to select pick UpNp Mode Auto or manual?

Ok in the app on my phone where I select the entry that has my serial, under settings there is a section call DDNS, do I remove that? I am guessing it pulls over when scanning the QR code from the NVR because I had DDNS turned on?
When that is set, it switches the connection from P2P to Hikvision DDNS and you specify the http, server ports and your admin password. I have mine 'not set'. Having it set enables two things. Remote configuration using the Hik-Connect app is possible. Also it overrides the maximum viewing time of 5 minutes that Hik-Connect forces. In my app I have the NVR added via Hik-Connect for normal use, notifications etc. I also add the NVR manually using its local IP as a backup and that will be used if Hik-Connect were to go down. I also use that local connection for wall mounted tablets where the images can be streaming permanently.

In the HIK-Connect portal site, what do I set where you click edit and have to select pick UpNp Mode Auto or manual?

I don't ever use/login to that portal site, even as an installer, so I'm not sure. Neither option is really applicable as the NVR is establishing its connection to the server using P2P

Edit: Mine is set to manual with the two ports specified

Last edited:
Ah ok. yes I did read about the DDNS in the HIK Connect and exactly what you mention.

I will turn that off like yours and see if I start getting thumbnail images consistently.

If I wanted to use DDNS, I would need to have those setting on in the app AND in the NVR right? There under Basic Config then add the setting in the mobile app? Then since not using port forwarding, the ports you set in the mobile app would be the regular ports in the Port No section on the NVR not the port mapping section?

Since the images work very rarely without changing anything but the motion part plays, I wonder if its something where that thumbnails are not decrypting correctly?

Well did everything. Set everything, removed the entry from the phone, restarted router and nvr. Logged into NVR and opened up HIK-Connect app and scanned QR code. It added it right in. All of the same DDNS settings are still there from before in the mobile app. I can edit them but I dont see a way to turn it off. Its still off on the NVR.

I walk outside, I almost immediately get an alert on the phone. I click it and within a couple seconds it pops up and says Motion Detection Alarm and Loading pictures failed. If I click the Playback at the bottom it plays fine though. Just no pic. :-(

Well did everything. Set everything, removed the entry from the phone, restarted router and nvr. Logged into NVR and opened up HIK-Connect app and scanned QR code. It added it right in. All of the same DDNS settings are still there from before in the mobile app. I can edit them but I dont see a way to turn it off. Its still off on the NVR.

I walk outside, I almost immediately get an alert on the phone. I click it and within a couple seconds it pops up and says Motion Detection Alarm and Loading pictures failed. If I click the Playback at the bottom it plays fine though. Just no pic. :-(
At the point you walked outside, you'll likely have been dropping off your WiFi network and onto mobile data. You may see intermittent issues at that point in time as your connection changes. Temporarily switch off WiFi on your phone to check things. I have had a couple of instances recently when clicking on my NVR in the app, that I temporarily see an error in the event area until I refresh the screen. Likewise, I occasionally don't immediately get the video clip available if I click for it as the push notification is received (presumably as the clip is still being stored on the Hik-Connect server)

Thanks. Yeah I tried that. Connected and disconnected from wifi. Even now several hours later, the same thing happens. I click notifications, then they all show a HIKVISION logo that after a couple seconds changes to a broken image. If I scroll down a little further there are a couple that came through. I might try calling support and seeing what they say since it looks like I have everything setup fine. I will try and attach a couple photos.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230718_082727_Hik-Connect.jpg
    Screenshot_20230718_082727_Hik-Connect.jpg
    305.3 KB · Views: 89
  • Screenshot_20230718_105548_Hik-Connect.jpg
    Screenshot_20230718_105548_Hik-Connect.jpg
    323.6 KB · Views: 88
  • Screenshot_20230718_110116_Hik-Connect.jpg
    Screenshot_20230718_110116_Hik-Connect.jpg
    276.3 KB · Views: 86
Thanks. Yeah I tried that. Connected and disconnected from wifi. Even now several hours later, the same thing happens. I click notifications, then they all show a HIKVISION logo that after a couple seconds changes to a broken image. If I scroll down a little further there are a couple that came through. I might try calling support and seeing what they say since it looks like I have everything setup fine. I will try and attach a couple photos.
Post the full details for your NVR and cameras as the first thing to do is to ensure everything is on the latest version:

Model number, firmware version and build date.

I only have two cams so far. Was waiting on getting everything ok before buying more.

NVR:
DS-7616NI-M2 /16P - Firmware Version: V4.63.006 build 230526
Encoding Version: V5.0 build 230407
Hardware Version: B-R-K21B1-00

Cam1 (alerts are on)
I go to picture tab and there are lots of files 30-207KB.
Storage Capture Parameters - Triggered snapshots on JPEG,640*480,Low,1000ms,4
Model: DS-2CD2347G2-LU
Firmware: V5.7.13 build 230504
Encoding: V7.3 build 230310
Firmware Version: V7.3 build 230310

Cam2 (alerts off)
Model: DS-2CD2343G2-IU
Firmware: V5.7.12 build 221201
Encoding: V7.3 build 221122
Firmware Version Property: B-R-G5-0

In the NVR, for Cam2 under Event\Basic Event I have Notifiy Surv Center unchecked. This cam is in my garage, and all the alerts popping up got quite annoying.

Cam1 in NVR is set to notify surv center, trigger alarm output A>1, and record linkage D3 (both cams have SD cards)

I just set this up and updated the FW 2 weeks ago. Never used it on older FW. So have not had any prior experience.

thank you

I only have two cams so far. Was waiting on getting everything ok before buying more.

NVR:
DS-7616NI-M2 /16P - Firmware Version: V4.63.006 build 230526
Encoding Version: V5.0 build 230407
Hardware Version: B-R-K21B1-00

Cam1 (alerts are on)
Model: DS-2CD2347G2-LU
Firmware: V5.7.13 build 230504
Encoding: V7.3 build 230310
Firmware Version: V7.3 build 230310

Cam2 (alerts off)
Model: DS-2CD2343G2-IU
Firmware: V5.7.12 build 221201
Encoding: V7.3 build 221122
Firmware Version Property: B-R-G5-0

In the NVR, for Cam2 under Event\Basic Event I have Notifiy Surv Center unchecked. This cam is in my garage, and all the alerts popping up got quite annoying.

Cam1 in NVR is set to notify surv center, trigger alarm output A>1, and record linkage D3 (both cams have SD cards)

thank you
Ok so for your NVR the latest firmware version (on the UK product page) is V4.63.010 build 230619 available here:

For Cam 2 - the G5 model, the latest version (on the UK product page) is 5.7.13_230504 available here (There is a slightly newer version on the EU portal):

You haven't shown the 'firmware version property' for Cam 1. If it's also G5 you can use the link above.

But here is quite probably your issue:
Cam1 in NVR is set to notify surv center, trigger alarm output A>1, and record linkage D3
If you've only two cameras, why is Camera 1 set to trigger Camera 3? Camera 3 doesn't exist. Record linkage should be to D1.

Also I don't record snapshots to the cameras SD card, so can't comment on whether the camera writing images to its SD card once per second would interfere with sending the image to Hik-Connect or not.

Thanks. Yeah they are both G5. I will check out the firmware as soon as I get in from work. I had setup the cams to also record to their SD card on the off chance something happened and the NVR got stolen etc. Looks like I could setup though another network drive, place somewhere and use that instead.

For the D3, thats what it is. That camera is in port 3 on the back and the other is in port 1. Prob weird, was just a little easier that way to plug and unplug the cables, and I dont expect to ever have 16. Probably 9 or 10 at the most.

I see there in the NVR Under Configuration - Online Upgrade there is a Check Upgrade. Shows current when I click the button. Is that ever a reliable method, or best to just check HIK's site manually?

I see there in the NVR Under Configuration - Online Upgrade there is a Check Upgrade. Shows current when I click the button. Is that ever a reliable method, or best to just check HIK's site manually?

Unfortunately, No, it is NOT a reliable method.
Despite the below amazing statistic, their firmware update checker has NEVER worked :(

How many R&D Engineers do Hikvision have.png

For the D3, thats what it is. That camera is in port 3 on the back and the other is in port 1. Prob weird, was just a little easier that way to plug and unplug the cables, and I dont expect to ever have 16. Probably 9 or 10 at the most.
Ok so is it intentional that when one camera triggers it's the other that you want to record - Camera 1 triggers Camera 3?

Also just go to the camera page in your web browser - Configuration > System > Channel Management. Confirm that your two cameras are D1 and D3 as you've said.

I confirmed. I just didn't list them that way up there. Sorry. In Channel Mgmt D1 is the camera that has alerts turned off and D3 is the camera that has them on.
When I go to Event-Basic D3 camera, its set to Notify Surv Center, Trigger Alarm A>1, and Record Linkage D3

When I go to Search at the top - Download Picture by file, select D3, Event Type All, I see a bunch of image files between 175KB and 215KB that look like snapshots. Same thing for Download Video by Event. Both of these look like what you would expect on the app. Im just not getting the picture part, only the video part.

There was an update for the app, which I installed but didnt help. I also noticed that this morning one image thumbnail actually came across and shows. The rest all show loading pictured failed.

Could this be your issue - see

Post in thread 'Hik-Connect "Loading Pictures Failed" for new cameras?'
Hik-Connect - Hik-Connect "Loading Pictures Failed" for new cameras?

As I’m having this exact same reported issue which is confirmed by HikVision as a bug. I have iOS, an M Series NVR and new G5 cameras.

Sorry I'm late, but the broken thumbnails you're seeing aren't just affecting you - it's due to some kind of compatibility issue between the G5 camera and M-Series firmware, which I've been discussing with Hikvision (throughout several M-Series firmware releases).

I'm consistently seeing exactly the same thing as you after a customer reported it to me - the first thumbnail seems to work, and then every other is broken.
I tested other cameras (using G3 and G1 firmware) on the same M-Series NVR, and G5 cameras on an I-Series, and there were correct images on all of the thumbnails.

Out of curiosity, is your phone connected to the same network as the NVR when you see them?
If so, and you switch to mobile data, does that get the thumbnails working again?
Hikvision has asked me to check the same, so I'm going to do that this morning and report back.

Thanks John and Kyle. Being on or off wifi doesn't seem to matter I don't think. I have gotten so few of them though like maybe 6 out of 90+ alerts that I'm not sure I noted whether it was on or not. I have never had this work and then they broke since this is a new unit and I've only been using it about 3 weeks.

Yesterday morning when one came through walking to the car, I believe I was on wifi. The only weird thing that's happened is a few days ago I opened the app and hit notifications, and as I slowly scrolled down the list, the images started populating. Didn't change anything. Came back later and opened and they were all broke again. I was thinking it was like they weren't being decrypted sometimes.

I did try a few days ago going in and turning off the stream encryption and unless I missed something or did it wrong, that didn't work and seeing as it made sense that should probably be on, I've turned it back on.

For the heck of it I did call HIK yesterday, but the guy wasn't much help, told me he hadn't heard of anything like this, and had me update the android app to the latest which is showing as 5.3.0.0711.

Yes, I've not seen any difference with Wi-Fi off either.
Our Hikvision support contact has been testing it and was struggling to replicate the problem, so I'll report back to them now.
I also tried unbinding and re-adding the NVR to my Hik-Connect account, both by serial number and QR code (with Wi-Fi turned off on my phone), and that hasn't made a difference.

FWIW I'm on the latest iOS version of the app, so it's good to know it's affecting Android too.

I've also seen the exact same thing as this a couple of times, and can't explain it either, I'll feed back that it isn't only me:
The only weird thing that's happened is a few days ago I opened the app and hit notifications, and as I slowly scrolled down the list, the images started populating. Didn't change anything. Came back later and opened and they were all broke again. I was thinking it was like they weren't being decrypted sometimes.

I'll come back with any update I can here :)

Back